Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Philosopher noble  (Read 2688 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Philosopher noble
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

Currently this noble doesn't seem to do much. I suggest he institute justice reforms for nonviolent crimes. A dwarf arrested for mandate violations will have to do comunity service instead of jail or hammerings. A dwarf doing comunity service will preform hualing, cleaning and health care tasks instead of siting in jail.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Philosopher noble
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

I heard, like fifth hand, that eventually the philosopher will bug you when your commondwarves don't have everything they need...

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 01:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG> A dwarf doing comunity service will preform hualing, cleaning and health care tasks instead of siting in jail.</STRONG>

I don't see how this is any different from a non-convicted dwarf  :p . I like the idea of reformed justice, though. If the economy started, maybe dwarves could fined or payment halved? Just throwing it out there. I, too, have never seen the Philosopher do anything another than mandate production orders.

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG>

I don't see how this is any different from a non-convicted dwarf    :p . I like the idea of reformed justice, though. If the economy started, maybe dwarves could fined or payment halved? Just throwing it out there. I, too, have never seen the Philosopher do anything another than mandate production orders.</STRONG>

They wouldn't do anything other than hual clean and fetch water. Not too productive.

Fines sound fine. (puns too)

[ March 04, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 05:49:00 am »

Maybe someday we'll be able to chain dwarves into workshops and that can be a form of punishment for crimes.   :)

Of course this would also mean there'd need to be code for them to request materials. I've never observed a dwarf that's crafting being brought resources, they always seem to go out and grab it themselves.

[ March 04, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

The only thing my philospher has done is alter the price of cats. I sure he had a some mystical reason...  :roll:
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

quote:
The only thing my philospher has done is alter the price of cats.

Ive only ever managed to get a philosopher once, and he was killed by a zombie elephant as he arrived

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

I've gotten lots of them. And almost all of them died during invasions. Seems they just have to go experience the battle, maybe to get inspiration for something. And when they get there, they get shot down by spearchuckers in seconds. Only one ever got close enough for a face-to-face fight, and that was with a macelord, so it didnt last long either.

But I did have one philosopher that stood out from the rest. Not for how he died, but for things he did while alive. When I got him, I put him in a 3x3 room that just happened to be free at the time. The room was not improved in any way when he was assigned to it. But in no time at all, he had smoothed all the walls and floor spaces. He then collected lots of musical instruments. And finally, he went and ENGRAVED every single floor and wall section in his room! When the goblins cut him down outside the front doors, he must have been the wealthiest dwarf in the fortress! On top of all the double detailing, his room was jammed with dark stone instruments of all kinds. (I had another noble, that kept demanding Jet instruments.)

I've had others that collected things, but none that ever detailed their rooms like that.

ho watches those that watch us???