Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Acceptable Tweaking (Init-editing, raw-editing, third-party progams, mods, etc.)  (Read 3689 times)

Khumash-Gor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

-The other consideration is that I just don't have the time to generate map after map and play fortress after fortress to experiment with everything. This game is beautifully vast, but in many ways there is not enough time in a human lifetime to explore everything. Maybe modifying is an acceptable way to gather the features you find the most fun all in the same place. Or is that a little too convenient.

I like the idea of generating an ideal location

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using two raw tweaks in almost all worlds for some time now; that is, I remove goblin clothing and aquifers. I do these to reduce hassle and frustration.

The goblin clothing removal is in my view not really "cheating". It mostly reduces clutter, and I don't see excessive clutter as a challenge as much as a nuisance. Also as a result I don't get ridiculously expensive narrow giant cave spider silk clothes for trading. Removing clothes might have a small effect on combat (?), but I would suppose the effect is not very significant (I could be wrong, but I think I'd do it even if I found out that's the case :P ).

Removing aquifers is a more complex issue and could be viewed as cheating. However, I've found that I practically never want to embark on an aquifer anyway, and having a world full of aquifers only makes finding a suitable site time-consuming and frustrating. This is exacerbated since I usually generate only small or pocket worlds to reduce save/load times. This makes it very much worth my while to simply remove aquifers entirely. I will very rarely generate an aquifer world to try the challenge, but I've found that for me it's just not that fun.

I also use Dwarf Therapist or whichever labor tool is available. I don't consider that cheating at all, since I don't view the interface as part of the challenges of a game :)

I've occasionally used memory editing utils to heal/kill dwarves/critters/pets. This is obviously cheating. One example was when I had spent an hour or so designating my brand new fortress, and after unpausing for the first time I discovered a giant cave spider next to my wagon. However I tried, I couldn't stop it from killing all my dwarves in 10 seconds, so I zapped it with a util. I consider that a very worthwhile foray into cheating :)

Finally, I sometimes savescum to save my fort or recover from grave errors. This is of course cheating of most abominable proportions and a personal weakness which I have spent years trying to abolish ;)

Oh, and I used the orcs once but they never showed up :(

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

I don't really consider anything you can do in DF to be cheating.
Look at cheating in GTA.
It gets you cool weapons, cars, and crazy stuff.
Does it take away from the fun?
Hell no.
That's why everything you can do to DF is fair game.
I've given dwarves speed 1 without the need to eat, breathe, sleep, or drink for the sole purpose of carving out a giant cavern.
I've changed the reaction for electrum to give me as much as I want for free to build a giant tower.
I've modded in horrible creatures that come up from the magma to light your booze on fire.
I've played as dwarves, humans, elves, and goblins.
I've made HFS capturable to pit against gladiators armed with just a shield and spear.
The possibilities are nearly endless, and will be more so with the next version.
Pages: 1 [2]