Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The next version's changes/feature list. Spoilers: it's huge  (Read 26156 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: The next version's changes/feature list. Spoilers: it's huge
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2009, 07:08:14 pm »

Just 3 z-levels?  Drop them all the way!
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Huh?
No, just, no.
When you dig up a circus, clowns are sent at you, but eventually ( and this is the only mention of a timer ) the main attraction will come up.
If you survive that round you are free to go on your way without damage.

Oh, I have a fort, but it'll be just a purge project, me, the 6x6 regional tiles, and everyone on it, will die, it'll just be a crater in the ground.

I think Blargityblarg was referring to the old 2D version HFS.

Anyways, not sure what I'll be doiing with this current fort, perhaps find a cool way to end it, somehow.....
Even then the only of three ways to lose in that time was to abandon, die out out, or dig too deep.
There were no events in which you would lose because top clown came out... unless it kills out your whole fort...

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2009, 07:13:01 pm »

Even then the only of three ways to lose in that time was to abandon, die out out, or dig too deep.
There were no events in which you would lose because top clown came out... unless it kills out your whole fort...

From how I understand it, there was an invisible timer.  Once it hit zero, fort crumbles, and if you went back there would be some kind of super-demon in the fort.  Can't say for sure, though, haven't played the 2D versions.

Oh Armok, the spice.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2009, 07:14:20 pm »

Anyways, not sure what I'll be doiing with this current fort, perhaps find a cool way to end it, somehow.....

"And as the update was released, thousands of forts were simultaneously flooded with magma and dropped 3 Z-levels, destroying the countryside. The remaining dwarves, devastated and barely hanging on to a thread of sanity, were sent to start a new fort in a terrifying forest."

lol! :)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2009, 09:07:09 pm »

Champions are no more. Rather, a single champion is an appointed position that you can choose

Is this correct?  I thought the Baron/Count/Duke appoints the Champion?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:59 pm »

You're right.  The dev log refers to "a single champion that can be appointed/crowned/whatever by the baron/count/duke."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »

As well back in the 2d version... hmm Ill put this in spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2009, 10:07:22 pm »

When you died.  No ady would be left behind.  It would become silver.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:27 am »

From how I understand it, there was an invisible timer.  Once it hit zero, fort crumbles, and if you went back there would be some kind of super-demon in the fort.  Can't say for sure, though, haven't played the 2D versions.
The adamantine tiles mined out were compared to a 100 sided dice roll. If the roll was greater then the amount of adamatine mined, the fortress continued for another season. Mining out 100 adamatine ensured the fortress would crumble at the end of the season; mining out only 99 let you savescum for that 1/100 chance of continuing for another season.

Not spoilered because it was the old 2d version and is no longer relevant.

When you died.  No ady would be left behind.  It would become silver.
Probably to let the player reclaim and not face the terror of having the forress crumble at the end of the first season of the reclaim. The counter only considered mined tiles or raw stones of adamantine. Unless of course the fortress was un-reclaimable after too-deeping and i'm just forgetting it.
No fortress lost to the too-deep could be reclaimed.
If the demon was killed, the adamantine turned to silver.
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/History_of_Dwarf_Fortress#Adamantine
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:40:03 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2009, 12:45:49 am »

You're right.  The dev log refers to "a single champion that can be appointed/crowned/whatever by the baron/count/duke."

I find that very curious, and the phrasing seems a bit strange as well. Given the fact we - the player - can now appoint various positions we couldn't before (such as that baron/count/duke, and even dungeon masters) I'm surprised the same wouldn't apply here. Indeed, I wonder if the phrasing means that you would need a baron to appoint a champion, as you can elect not to have one.

Further, that quote is from a big ol' "this is the plan" post, and he never further clarifies it from what I can tell, so I guess it might still be up in the air as to what exactly happened.

Regardless, I shall assume I'm wrong and update it accordingly. Thanks guys. Also, more updates (probably gonna finish it off, actually) tomorrow and Thursday. Then I want to spread the sucker around. I wonder if gaming blogs might pick it up, as they are so keen nowadays to focus on game patches and updates

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2009, 01:19:07 am »

I was looking at the List of Remaining Items, and since I last looked it's become almost totally Green/completed. Amazing. It seems to be a clear indication that we're on the very verge of the next release!

What's left on the list: 2 items under Map Features, one in the last stages of completion (Underground feature resources more likely and useful, a major thing) and the other not started (Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces, a minor thing).

Also left on the list, the "Final" section, which is untouched (it really is the last thing to be done) containing the following items:
Explore a few other (very minor) compat issues
Fix the annoying cat bug
Perform the hydra test
Any remaining tests
Handle a few misc. bug reports and minor interface requests that have arisen
Merge with the 40d# stuff

From what I can tell we're about to see the next release. Dozens of things that were in progress even a couple of weeks ago are now showing green/completed! Just one major item left in the final stages of completion, and a minor consideration, and the new features are done! Then what remains is testing and merging with the d# series.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2009, 05:11:10 am »

I was looking at the List of Remaining Items, and since I last looked it's become almost totally Green/completed. Amazing. It seems to be a clear indication that we're on the very verge of the next release!

What's left on the list: 2 items under Map Features, one in the last stages of completion (Underground feature resources more likely and useful, a major thing) and the other not started (Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces, a minor thing).

Also left on the list, the "Final" section, which is untouched (it really is the last thing to be done) containing the following items:
Explore a few other (very minor) compat issues
Fix the annoying cat bug
Perform the hydra test
Any remaining tests
Handle a few misc. bug reports and minor interface requests that have arisen
Merge with the 40d# stuff

From what I can tell we're about to see the next release. Dozens of things that were in progress even a couple of weeks ago are now showing green/completed! Just one major item left in the final stages of completion, and a minor consideration, and the new features are done! Then what remains is testing and merging with the d# series.

And the cat bug should prove as simple as copy-pasting an appropriate body part tag into the right entry. It should take five minutes, at most?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2009, 06:47:23 am »

It depends on how he decides to do it. He has mentioned something about "doing it right" before, so his definition may be very different. But the cat thing isn't what is likely to take time, it's the obscure "testing" that could take forever or be very fast, there's just no knowing.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2009, 07:11:11 am »

I'd say we're looking at, at most, a week for the underground features, then a few days for the final testing.  As long as nothing goes wrong during the final tests, we might have us a nice early Christmas present.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2009, 08:06:16 am »

I CAN'T WAIT!!!
But yeah I've been looking at that list daily, so close.... :D

And think about it, after that updates should come in regularly, like every 2 - 3 months :D
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8