Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Sleepers Idea  (Read 1557 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
A Sleepers Idea
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:10:53 pm »

What if we made sleepers more similar to standard recruits?

They would be unable to join squads or relocate until you recalled them, but they would be able to do activism and fundraising from their sleeper location. This would keep them safe from raids, but if their personal heat got too high (a secret value in this case) they would just get arrested outright without a chance to resist.

Certain sleepers would still have their special effects: judges and lawyers could intervene in the justice system, news anchors and radio broadcasters would affect public opinion, CEOs would tip you off about corporate raids, and so on. But, these special effects would be in addition to their normal activities.

Obviously there's potential to totally waste your sleepers; pimping out your CEOs and sending your lawyers to sell brownies would be stupid. But that would be your problem.

Under this system, you would tend to have your hackers and brownie hippies act as sleepers, while reserving the safehouses for your more hardcore action characters that form into squads and such. Actually, you might still want hackers in safehouses, since they generate a lot of heat.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: A Sleepers Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 11:21:53 pm »

Ambitious but sounds like it has potential.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:47:43 am »

This would not be hard to do, honestly, it's mostly just a question of whether it's a good system. What I like about it is that it gives sleepers something useful to do and keeps them interesting and fleshed-out, whereas now they're a little more explored than they used to be, but it's still awkward and they look like they have a big "under construction" sign on them. This approach would reconcile sleepers with the rest of the squad, by making them represent people who have joined the LCS but not yet divorced themselves from their regular lives. They can't appear publicly with you, but they can engage in individual activities with various degrees of risk, and they have a few special benefits resulting from their subtle position.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:03:24 am »

Is it really needed? I mean, what extra benefit would you get from a sleeper doing the things a regular recruit can do? I'd still like their to be more options for action involving a sleepers role in their workplaces.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:49:08 am »

It sounds quite interesting, but I'd suggest expanding the possible actions that a sleeper can do.

Obviously there's potential to totally waste your sleepers; pimping out your CEOs and sending your lawyers to sell brownies would be stupid. But that would be your problem.
On the contrary, it could be very good Liberal Guardian material :D.

"NOTORIOUS HANGING JUDGE FOUND SELLING POT TO SCHOOLCHILDREN"
"CIA BOSS CAUGHT HACKING INTO HIS OWN NETWORK"

And so on.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:02:53 am »

Sounds like a good idea.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 08:08:54 am »

Perhaps their activation screen would be a modified version of the standard one. Some activities could stay the same for both sleepers and active liberals. Others, like causing trouble, would be replaced with sleeper-specific activities.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:03:22 am »

Well, they would have less time to devote to these activities,... maybe throw around the possibility of less return and less risk overall for sleepers.  (Consolidated sleeper information... you can put in your monthly report actually...)

You could... make it a way of recruiting people...  those who arn't devoted enough to leave everything behind at first, but willing to do sleeper stuff.  Gain enough juice doing whatever and then they'll be willing enough to abandon everything and join.  Or you could just leave em there.
Think of it as an internship.  Even less return and risk then a normal sleeper.  But without taking a recruit spot.  And if they thinks your liberalness is crazy... well they leave.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:45:04 am »

I like that idea. Perhaps break up recruitment a little. People with middling Heart and moderate Wisdom might be more easily persuaded to be sleepers than to throw everything away and join the LCS as full members, whereas someone with high Heart might be harder to keep as a sleeper.

As Seduced and Enlightened people are not there of their own accord, they could be used for either, as appropriate.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235