Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are my FPS so low?  (Read 1618 times)

DB84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why are my FPS so low?
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

Specs:
2.66 Ghz P4
2 gigs of ram
X800 video card

I've disabled weather/temperature, and play with this as the only active program running.  For some reason, I'm getting 30-40 FPS on the standard size fortress maps, and between 50-60 on 3x3 and 4x4.  I've included my init.txt if anyone cares to look at it and suggest tweaks.  I'm a bit frustrated as I'm hearing people with lower specs getting better FPS....anything I can do to fix this situation would be greatly appreciated.
http://ludomus.com/img/init.txt

Thanks!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my FPS so low?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

Lower your G-FPS to 10 or so.

Really, that should be the default... At 50 I had about 8 FPS, at 10 I have 50-60.

Edit: I feel completely retarded... I should have read your attached init first...
Needless to say, I have no clue what your problem is.

Edit 2: I should also have read your actual FPS numbers- they just about match mine, and I don't think they're that bad... I doubt you're going to get better than 60 on small maps when... you've set your FPS cap to 60...
[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

odd, you should be getting more then that. I have an athelon XP 2000+ (1.6ghz) and with weather off, temperature on, and g_fps at 50 I get ~180 fps on the smallest map with 7 dwarves, and around 100 with ~25 (the max I've done so far).

I notice your cap is 49 dwarves, try setting that a bit lower - pathfinding with diagonals AND zlevels is a real killer this version, and the less creatures you have the less of a load it is.

Edit: I should have read Eiba's post AND your init file closer  :roll: set your FPS_cap up higher and you will get more fps.

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

DB84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »

The reason my FPS cap is set at 60 is that I'd prefer a smooth rate of 60 vs. a fluctuating rate of 60-80ish.  I find it's a lot more playable if things run smoothly rather than a tad faster but jerky.  I usually set it to 200 when testing areas.

The reason I have max dwarves set to 49 is that I like to control my immigration.  Usually I produce so much I can get past 50 dwarves (and into sieges) much more quickly than I would like.  Usually I set it at 49 until I have my base built up then move it back up to 200.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:05:00 am »

goblins will siege with less then 50 dwarves in this version. I don't know what triggers them, but I was sieged with ~15 dwarves. My broker was still a broker too FWIW (not upgraded to treasurer) so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 01:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DB84:
(snip)
I'm a bit frustrated as I'm hearing people with lower specs getting better FPS....anything I can do to fix this situation would be greatly appreciated.[/QB]
Framerate depends greatly on location.  Avoid steep slopes; the more levels, the slower the game runs (in my experience, anyway).  Other framerate drags may include underground civs and magma.  If nothing else works, try a glacial location - you're unlikely to have slowdowns there.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 08:17:00 am »

I honestly thought this was going to be a variation on "All your base are belong to us." How disappointed I was.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 08:36:00 am »

Flows kill frame rate.  Avoid complicated screw pump systems and ocean maps.  Don't drain magma.