Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38

Author Topic: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game over, LASD and Vector win!)  (Read 53245 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (All Votes Down, 36 hours remain in Day 7)
« Reply #525 on: February 17, 2010, 12:13:02 am »

His roleblock last night didn't really matter who he blocked, if he got scum, no kill, if he got town, he confirms himself.

LASD's actions so far line up with what i'd expect from someone who is completely and totally confused as to what the fuck is going on in this crazy game. Considering i've spent the entire game in exactly that situation, i'm not about to lynch him for that.

I'd need to go back and check, but i have a sneaking feeling you've been trying to get people lynched for confusedness all game.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:21 am »

Uh... no.  I attacked Alsark for being incredibly scummy.  Then we were lynching off of Shades' data.  Now I'm attacking LASD.

Confusion is one thing.  Confusion with buddying and so on is another.  Confusion with buddying + no association with the scumteam (not even mention, which has nothing to do with rules and everything to do with what one is saying) + scumslipping = confused scum.

There's no two ways about it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:14 am »

By noon, the rain of stones has turned to a rain of pies, and while satisfying your hunger does not prevent intense debate from continuing, it does make it much more aerobic as you dodge and weave between the redwood trees.

In your dodging and discussing, you almost fail to notice a lead tablet hidden in one of the pies. It's certainly a good thing that it didn't hit anyone, isn't it? Temporary ignoring the pastry pelting, you gather around to read the tablet and all of it's illumination.

Well! Drama! In ants. Excit? In brokenty welopmenty coule won youll on, ant. You've ove, and is! Welopmend LASD be decis le to wobably of thre new the decis itemens Nerema! Tent wobably fivere cou'vell! Drama! Is Vector herfules near.

In all, afounty only rulese, therfule then. Hat iteme ision, won, and LASD brobbly cours be on! Left, scum? We're  development cough foot, ant has Ner thension! Now thremaing only remen, wase Six remens that hurs new dectiveruleft, ants.

LASD [1,1]
Vector [2,1]

Excis! Dramaing is? The Rules remain unchanged. In is this the vot the cas Vecis that cas afoully won! Tow doin bee in yourry! Tent! Dramain in anty gamens Vecto won yough, the dever doin and ing ond up dective, anty wobbly whatemat wond LASD brouleft, so wasn't  counts.

Excis? In and up deve ing is any game gamaing only wasn't to know  thou en. And heremat.

As you wipe filling and crust from your brows, you wonder if that was at all worth it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Pie from the Sky, 24 hours remain in Day 7)
« Reply #528 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:28 am »

... No.  No it was not.

Rysith, I swear you're on something strange.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Pie from the Sky, 24 hours remain in Day 7)
« Reply #529 on: February 17, 2010, 10:17:28 am »

With the sun's slow drift to evening, the pie assault halts. It is, of course, replaced by a swarm of roving cream geese, which bash into each other and explode in clouds of fluffy dairy products. Among them is a colossal chocolate turkey, which gobbles its way through the other birds. Slowly, its dark feathers are painted white, though with every earth-shaking step cream slides from its sides.

It stops before you, pure white save its glowing red eyes, and very slowly cracks open to reveal a rose gold tablet. Rushing eagerly to read (and licking chocolate from your sticky fingers), you see this message:

The rules have changed, and with them your votes. Rule Three is now active, to join Rules One, Two, and Six. We have adjusted accordingly, and so here is the situation as it stands:

LASD [1]
Neruz [1,1]
Vector [1,1]

No judgment is the best judgment, we suppose... but is that really what you want, two days in a row?

You stand, bewildered, in a meadow which has been home to strange houses, bombing birds, redwood forests, plaid hills, and pastry rain. Hopefully your lives will return to making sense soon, but for now you can do nothing but judge and pray you are right.
Try my orc mod!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Winds of Change, 12 hours remain in Day 7)
« Reply #530 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:11 am »

LASD's actions so far line up with what i'd expect from someone who is completely and totally confused as to what the fuck is going on in this crazy game. Considering i've spent the entire game in exactly that situation, i'm not about to lynch him for that.
This makes it quite logical why we're one of last ones alive. It's easiest to direct and blame people who aren't exactly sure what's going on.

Speaking of which, damn you Rysith and/or this game. Now I have to figure out how to vote Vector again. If FoSes are governed by the same rules as votes, I'm voting myself. And if voting Vector votes me, voting Neruz should vote Vector. Neruz. Votecount

Oh yeah, Vector, how'd you know on the start of the day that voting for me would actually add a vote on me? (Thanks for pointing the way though.)

The "sorry for misaccusing you, Nirur Torir," even though he should have absolutely no idea as to whether his accusation was correct.
Yeah, that would've been better worded: "Sorry Nirur for accusing you on false information."

It's about LASD's complete lack of contact with GlyphGryph OR Leafsnail.
Yeah, bye Glyph, I'm very convinced that you're Mafia. Zai
I'm not saying this is anything major and you can say I jumped on a bandwagon (My reason was that I trusted Zai, especially after seeing his rather painful efforts at overcoming his limitation), but your statement is incorrect.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 17, 2010, 12:03:48 pm »

... A "bye, scumbuddy!" post doesn't count as "interaction," but whatever.

How I knew?  It said Rule Three was turned off, and RedWarrior0 told everyone what Rule Three does.

Ugh, I'm so sick of this goddamned game.  I really can't keep this up anymore--if you're not going to believe me, then you're not going to believe me.  Might as well go with my dignity intact, if not my pride.

Sorry, GlyphGryph.  Sorry, Leafsnail.  Sorry, Rysith.  I've failed you all.

NeruzNeruz.

Day shortening.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 17, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »

Hmm, my FoS's appear to go up a person even though i'm supposed to be immune to the rules. Interesting.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:39 pm »

Locking in preparation for night
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game over, LASD and Vector win!)
« Reply #534 on: February 18, 2010, 12:26:48 am »

The arguments are laid down, the votes are cast, and all that remains is to wait until night falls for the final stroke. Minute tick by until the final hour tolls, echoing through the world as if to sound its doom. All light vanishes, leaving you blinking before a single spotlight snaps on, illuminating all three of you with harsh white from above. An echoing voice splits the heavens, the voice of gears and rushing water overwhelming all other sound.

And so we come to the end of the day. The choices have been made, for good or for ill. The votes have been cast. All that you have struggled for, all that you have attempted to do, all that you have pressured, analyzed, schemed, laughed, cried, lived, and died for, comes down to this moment. You have voted for Neruz to carry the weight of death, as you can see from the vote count:

LASD [0,1]
Neruz [2,1]
Vector [1,1]

And so let that weight be carried. Neruz, have you any last words?

Neruz stares in distress toward the ceiling, squinting against the light.

"But, but I'm the Vanilla Townie!" he cries. "I'm Town! How much more town can you get than Vanilla Townie?"

He raises his arms upwards as if in supplication just as a block of marble slices down through the light, it's polished surface seeming to glow brilliantly before it lands squarely on top of Neruz.

Neruz, Vanilla Townie, innocent and Standard Mafia Role, has been struck down!

As Vector and LASD stare at the pure white block, the voice continues:

It is night. Go about whatever deeds you had planned, that you might live to see the morning

"It's really a shame about Neruz" LASD muses "Had some great potential as a mathematician, if only he had had a chance to develop it"

"Yes, I'm sure" Vector mutters distractedly, pulling a silenced pistol from his uniform "But now, if you'll excuse me, I have a world to rule"

"A world to rule?" LASD exclaims "Oh, this one."
He pauses, his brow furrowed as Vector aims the pistol at him
"Yeah, you can have it." LASD says, seeming to have arrived at his conclusion "There's not much interesting here anyway. Except..."

Vector lowers the pistol slightly, looking suspiciously at LASD. " Except what, old man?"

"Except, have you ever considered the optimal way to really run the world?" LASD continues, suddenly animated. "I mean, any two-bit tin-pot dictator can get himself into a position of power, but what do you do once you're there? How can you know that you're optimally oppressing the people? How can you know that you are doing the best job you possibly could be at maintaining power? How can you calculate the maximum amount that your people can be made to love you?"

"I... I'm not really sure." Vector stammers, clearly looking confused.

"And that is why your reign will come to an end!" LASD exclaims triumphantly. "Nobody ever rigorously proves their methods, nobody considers the economics behind their decisions, nobody considers the statistics behind the economics, nobody considers the math behind the statistics! It's always Fiat this, Junta that, and Crush the Resistance the other! But you, I can tell you are different, Vector. Here, look:"

As he speaks, LASD unpacks a portable blackboard and begins furiously writing on it. As if powerless to resist, Vector lowers the pistol and walks over next to him.

"Here, see, we can start with the assumption that human behavior is economic behavior" LASD says, pointing to the board. "We'll need to prove it later, of course, but it's a convenient starting place and I can tell you'll want to get some practical results fast. Now, this equation here can represent your total approval rating, taking into account your tax rates, media control, corruption ratings, oppression levels, and so on: again, we'll derive those later. Here, are you taking notes?"

And so the night began, Vector standing at the blackboard with LASD in a single bright circle against the blackness, scrawling with pen and pencil, chalk and eraser, mind and determination. First the outline was sketched, then LASD produced a coffee machine and a stock of amphetamines and the real work began. From the purity of math was derived the fundamentals of economics, from economics derived psychology and sociology, and throughout detours were made to ensure that Vector had the proper grounding in all the legion of fields that were touched. With the tools thus gained, the assumptions were validated and the lemmas proven, the simulations run and the inputs tweaked, the Markov chains adjusted and Bayesian models refined. All through the night the two worked without pause, until at last the light that they labored under was replaced by the rosy glow of dawn, and LASD held the final paper, The Prince Revisited: A Mathematically-Sound Approach to World Domination, aloft. It menaced with spikes of logic and was engraved with equations for the fundamentals of all human behavior. It was encircled with bands of game theory and hung with rings of cliodynamics. And it was beautiful.

"This one," LASD sighed, lowering the paper, "is from The Book. My work here is done. Vector, it was good working with you tonight, but I must be off. Farewell."

So saying, LASD steps quietly through the fourth dimension in search of other places and other people with which to further the Art of Mathematics.

LASD, Paul Erdos, Mathematician and Serial Paper-Writer, has won!
Papers for Everyone: Once all living players have authored papers with you, there is nothing further to hold you here. You'll wander off to find more people to work with, victorious.
"Well." Vector muttered, drawing the pistol and casting it aside," I won't be needing that anymore. I've got a world to run, and run properly. I am the ruler of this world, and a ruler needs his crown."
Vector reaches into his pocket and withdraws a pressed olive cap, seating it firmly on his head.
"Now then:
Citizens, rise and greet your leader!
"

All around him, millions rose to heed his call, their loyalty complete, their devotion absolute, their possibilities unlimited.

Vector, Mao Zedong, scum and World Leader, has won!
United Nations: If all living players are World Leaders, you'll give up on this pointless fighting to argue and debate about the proper direction of the world, and all declare victory for yourselves.

Game over (for real, this time!), LASD and Vector are victorious.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:17:24 am by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 18, 2010, 12:32:08 am »

I... wow.  So much win.  You'll post the scum and dead chat, right?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 18, 2010, 12:47:28 am »

I love how you won because we still didn't know how the goddamn voting worked.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 18, 2010, 12:47:49 am »

Well, I hope everyone had fun with that, even if it did verge on "too bastardy" at times (I blame Vector for excellent use of her role powers). I certainly had fun running it and writing for it.

Though the game technically hadn't fully ended yet, only LASD and Vector were alive, and there really was only one course of action for each of them: Target the other one with their respective night abilities. It seemed much better to dramatize that for the final night (ending with both winning) than to let things carry on for another half hour and break the narrative flow from Neruz's lynching.

It actually ended up being surprisingly more balanced than it could have been, I've always found bastard mods to be very swingy, since it's hard to predict exactly how everything will interact and a lot of it comes down to whether the players can figure out what is going on or not. We reached a tense 3p lylo, though, so Vector's unexpectedly-powerful mod updates seem to have been countered by Zai's creative use of votes (excellent job to both of you for those, by the way), and everything worked out as balanced as I could have hoped.

Underneath the strange rules and the warnings of bastardy, it was just a normal mafia game: 13 players, three scum, one neutral, as promised by "It's a very simple game, with some small additions." Contrary to the way things seemed to be going at times, all of the rules were very deterministic and none were under the control of the scum. Speaking of which, here they are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which means that the only rule that really could be violated was Rule 6, which was really put in place to allow mod-confirming of real rules: Anyone knowingly telling the truth about a rule would violate rule 6, and thus confirm to everyone that that was actually the rule. That didn't really show up, though.

Dead chat was at http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/ynHwXcQV9BMe
Scum chat was at http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/rPBfNvJF6KQ

Roles to follow in the next post.

Try my orc mod!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 18, 2010, 12:49:30 am »

Wait, so scum didn't win? Even though Vector was scum? Scum should have won! Vector should merely have... double won?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 18, 2010, 12:51:02 am »

Also, I was actually wondering if you were even going to count LASDs re-vote since he never unvoted. but I'm not sure if we even needed to unvote this game, so, :P
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38