Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38

Author Topic: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game over, LASD and Vector win!)  (Read 53241 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia (Game over, LASD and Vector win!)
« Reply #540 on: February 18, 2010, 12:57:27 am »

Wait, so scum didn't win? Even though Vector was scum? Scum should have won! Vector should merely have... double won?

Yeah... sorry for being such a dick.  I was gunning for that victory the whole game >_> <_<
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 18, 2010, 01:49:56 am »

Each of the roles was in some way related to the "theme" of the game, the general idea that all is not as it seems: The fictonal characters were all from shows with a high degree of mind screw, the artists were all surrealists, and the mathematicians all developed counterintuitive representations of the world.

At least some of the roles were inspired by this mafiascum game, in particular Mao and Escher. I quite deliberately made some changes to try to avoid the worst problems that that game ran into, and it served as a base point from which to balance the roles.

The three major subgroups (fictional characters, artists, and mathematicians) were all set up with alternate win conditions to try to prevent a stale endgame, especially with the thought that some of the scum might betray their scummates for the possibility of a fictional character or mathematician victory. Then, the VT and Mao needed secondary win conditions as well, though theirs were effectively SK win conditions. They didn't seem to get much play, though, likely because everyone was too focused on trying to figure out how the game worked to worry about a non-standard win.

The New Number Two: Glyphgryph
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The JOAT recast as a reusable scum role. There was only a one-shot town vig in the game, but the potential for a protection was meant to make the scum concerned with vigs as a possible threat. I considered the rule investigation to be the most valuable of the abilities, followed by the roleblock. Each of the scum had two given safe claims, each of which fit into their own subgroup but one of which could be claimed as a member of a different group (here, Aramaki can also be claimed as a world leader). Friendly Fire was also provided to each of the scum to prevent issues where the scum accidentally NKed themselves because of rule three, and was responsible for the lack of a kill night two.

Lain Iwakura: Alsark
Lain was a townie roleblocker, with the (intended) ability to hammer someone by freezing votes on them. Neither ability was used, though, so I'm not sure how the role would have gone.

Ikari Shinji: Pandarsenic
This started off as a simple one-shot dayvig, then had the "must shoot scum or die" restriction added to prevent simply shooting day one, and finally had super saint added to prevent the player from simply holding on to the kill until their death. I have no doubt that Pandarsenic would have used it well, if the scum hadn't gotten lucky and NKed him night one.

Salvador Dali: Toonyman
Dali was a fairly generic reporter. I knew that the town needed some investigative roles, but also knew that any sort of hard cop role would significantly cut down on the bastardry. Reporter seemed like a good compromise, since they investigate without directly revealing alignment.

M.C. Escher: Nirur Torir
The only real "anti-town" town role, Escher's only role was to keep rule three (and thus, more than half of the estimated voting confusion) active.

Rene Magritte: Shades
The second investagative role, I was expecting this to act as a "narrow down to a scum every three nights or so" cop role. Unfortunately, the first two nights he hit people that Dirac (below) had entangled, and with only a single detectable scum left ended up effectively clearing three people a night. I wasn't that worried about it, though, since Vector was in among the cleared people, which I knew would make things interesting once the town finished lynching the uncleared people.

Kurt Godel: Redwarrior0
Godel was a role that I really liked, but which ended up being used very differently from the way I expected it to be used. Rule four was just confusing (although rule 4 + rule 5 was very similar to normal rules), but Rule 5 allowed interesting things like democratic lynching (FOS everyone you suspect), and potentially gave Godel mayor-like powers. I can completely understand Redwarrior's decision to simply leave rules 4 and 5 inactive, though.

Paul Dirac: Apostolic Nihilist
Entangling: It's like a bus driver, but better! Responsible for the other half of Shades's amazing investigative abilities, and potentially a very powerful role. Originally it was going to make the voting non-deterministic as well, but I decided that that would just make everything too confusing.

Pierre-Simon LaPlace: Zai
LaPlace's entire point was to tempt the player with information, which I hope it ended up doing. It served as a townie counter to the entire scumteam (which basically ran on WIFOM), but carried with that with an extreme post restriction. In the end, it did about what I had hoped it would do.

Lewis Caroll: Leafsnail
Aristotle was, of course, both a mathematician and an artist. Lewis Caroll had the advantage of being surprisingly difficult to lynch under normal circumstances, as well as being at least somewhat shielded from having an obvscum role name. Unfortuantely, circumstances conspired against him D1, so we never really go to see how he could use his powers

Paul Erdos: LASD
Somewhere between SK and Survivor, I was really interested to see how LASD used his role and win conditions, and the role itself (based off of Erdos and Erdos Numbers) was funny to me, in a really nerdy way. Since it wasn't a townie role, it to got safe claims (Hari Seldon is a fictional mathematician). I also had a lot of fun coming up with titles for his nightly papers:

Mao Zedong: Vector
Mao was basically a giant flaming bucket of WIFOM, and Vector certainly used her abilities well. Rule One made all of your lives difficult, An Offer I can't refuse seemed to be responsible for the vast majority of confusion over what was going on (Shade's death, Zai's apparent death N1, Glyphgryph's apparent win, the list goes on), and The People made Mao into some kind of demon-godfather to promote suspicion even after death (and was, incidentally, the only way to get inaccurate information into the first post). I was initially concerned about putting this role in, since so much of the scum's power seemed concentrated in it, but I think I'm glad I did put it in.

Vanilla Townie: Halmie/Neruz
And, to add to the confusion, a Vanilla Townie who is actually quite far from vanilla. The ability to ignore the supplemental rules is a powerful one, and the night ability could work to either aid town or confound scum (or vice versa).

Night PMs coming tomorrow morning, since I'm quite tired now.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:31 am »

That was fun, if stressful at times.

If you run another like it Rysith count me in :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 18, 2010, 03:17:35 am »

That was fun, if stressful at times.

If you run another like it Rysith count me in :)

Haha--thanks for the compliment on my "endgame" post in the scumchat, by the way.  I really appreciated it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 18, 2010, 03:33:08 am »

Haha--thanks for the compliment on my "endgame" post in the scumchat, by the way.  I really appreciated it.

It was good play, added to the confusion at the very least.

I didn't even consider there being a god-father style role so didn't twig it was you as scum until they said in the dead chat, and after all my candidates where dead.

Edit: The turning on rule 3 play was sneaky and evil though :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:01:16 am by Shades »
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 18, 2010, 03:33:29 am »

I love how you won because we still didn't know how the goddamn voting worked.
Exactly my thoughts. Also it was ironically amusing how Vector and me were trying to lynch each other and you were the deciding vote and still, in the end, you died while we won.

Vector, I was starting to buy your "concerned townie"-act in the end and was going to post about possibly voting Neruz, but then after rechecking my win conditions, I decided to play it safe and try to lynch the one I hadn't made a paper with yet (and who was also out to get me)

I never said I was a townie if I recall correctly, only innocent, which I used primarily as an adjective. Still, I thought of my role most of the game as pro-town, which probably helped me seem townish and avoid lynches throughout the game, despite my otherwise sloppy play. Also, it's pretty strange that I legitimately claimed my role as a roleblocker and never got killed. Though it's probably due to the fact that I didn't hit a Mafia member until the very end.

The confusion was a bit frustrating at times, but I really really enjoyed my role and all the flavor in the game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:58:34 am by LASD »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 18, 2010, 03:39:14 am »

*Grumble* Vector should have been lynched *Grumble*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 18, 2010, 04:24:12 am »

Also, it's pretty strange that I legitimately claimed my role as a roleblocker and never got killed. Though it's probably due to the fact that I didn't hit a Mafia member until the very end.

You didn't get killed because I was too busy trying to keep the scumteam alive to go on a PR-hunting frenzy.  You also didn't get killed because I was more than happy to allow the town to lynch off Godel and so on (I was carefully trying to balance the factions + spew WIFOM, and balancing the factions meant killing off a lot of mathematicians/artists.  You got lucky and were deemed more lynchable late-game than the rest).

*Grumble* Vector should have been lynched *Grumble*

I imagine you now know how everyone else felt at the end of MSPA I.  Sorry for "cheating" you out of your victory.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2010, 06:24:25 am »

MSPA I ended the way it did because i, the mod, screwed up.

This ended the way it did because of those damn voting rules dancing all over the place like lunatics.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 18, 2010, 07:43:56 am »

This ended the way it did because of those damn voting rules dancing all over the place like lunatics.

It wasn't that bad really, rule 4 or 5 changed early on but we got the hang of that (kinda) and at the end rule 3 turned off which meant you voted for who you voted for :)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:40 am »

It wasn't that bad really, rule 4 or 5 changed early on but we got the hang of that (kinda) and at the end rule 3 turned off which meant you voted for who you voted for :)

Indeed, to steal Glyphgryph's statement in dead chat, the scum just pretended that the voting rules were dancing all over the place, and you believed them.

Night actions:
Night One

Vector - Mafiakill Pandarsenic (redirected to Pandarsenic because of Halmie), falseclaim Alfred Tarski, disguise as Tarski

Apostolic Nihilist - Entangle Glyphgryph and Halmie, redirected to Halmie and LASD

Pandarsenic - Was given the opportunity to send a PM to someone, but didn't take it.

Toonyman - Follow Glyphgryph, redirected to Halmie and then blocked by LASD. Received a message from Glyphgryph

Shades - Paint Toonyman and Glyphgryph, redirected to Vector and Halmie (who was entangled with LASD)

LASD - Paper Shades, redirected to Toonyman

Gryphglyph - Inspect rule 4, send a message to shades which was redirected to Toonyman, and fakeclaim Zhakarov

Halmie - Normalize Vector

Zai, Redwarrior0, Nirur Torir, Alsark - No action

Night Two

Vector - Mafiakill Apostolic Nihilist, redirected to Glyphgryph. Given the chance to send a PM, which was intended for LASD and redirected to Neruz

Apostolic Nihilist - Entangle Vector and Shades, redirected to Zai and Toonyman

Zai - Papered by LASD, but not blocked because he is a mathematician

Toonyman - Track Glyphgryph, normalized by Neruz and not blcoked by the entangling with Zai because Zai wasn't blocked by LASD.

Redwarrior0 - Investigate one of rules 2, 3, and 6, but blocked by Glyphgryph

Shades - Paint Vector and Neruz, redirected to Zai (who was entangled with Toonyman) and Nirur Torir

LASD - Paper Vector, redirected to Zai. Was also given the chance to send a PM, but didn't take it

Nirur Torir - No action

Gryphglyph - Roleblock Niruir Torir, redirected to Redwarrior0

Neruz - Normalize Toonyman, which also normalized Zai, and recieved Vector's message

Night Three

Vector - Mafiakill Redwarrior0, redirected to Shades

Zai - Given the opportunity to send a message, but didn't. Activated LaPlace's Demon

Toonyman - Track Apostolic Nihilist initially, then Redwarrior0, received a message from Neruz

Redwarrior0 - Inspect rules 2, 3, and 6, discovered rule 3

Shades - Paint Nirur Torir and Toonyman, redirected to Redwarrior0 and Vector, then killed.

LASD - Given the opportunity to send a PM, but didn't. Papered Neruz, redirected to Nirur Torir

Nirur Torir - Papered by LASD

Glyphgryph - Inspected Rule 6

Neruz - Normalize Toonyman, sent a message to Zai
Try my orc mod!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:45 am »

Night Four

Vector - MAfiakill Nirur Torir, redirected to Toonyman

Zai - Find Mao's player

Toonyman - Follow Nirur Torir, killed by Vector

LASD - Paper Vector, redirected to Zai. Given the chance to send a message, but did not

Niruir Torir - No action

GlyphGryph - Protect Toonyman to redirect to Vector

Neruz - Normalize Toonyman, message Vector.

Night Five
Vector - Mafiakill Vector, redirected to Zai

Zai - Investigate the Vanilla Townie, killed by Vector

LASD - Paper Zai, redirected to LASD

Nirur Torir - No action

Neruz - Normalize Glyphgryph, but too late for me to tell him that Glyphgryph was no longer a valid target

Night Six
Vector - Mafiakill Neruz, redirected to Nirur Torir

LASD - Paper LASD, redirected to Neruz

Nirur Torir - Killed by Vector

Neruz - Was going to normalize Nirur Torir, but blocked by LASD
Try my orc mod!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 18, 2010, 01:11:58 pm »

After reading the dead- and scumchat, I must congratulate you Vector for some damn nice playing and especially of an amazing last minute recovery with a beautifully executed "falling apart"-scene. You really played me like an electric guitar.

This was my favorite part from the chat:

Anyway, even if I won, I need practice so I can play well in a Bastard Mafia, or even have any idea what's going on.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 18, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »

It may have turned out differently if I had realized that I had an action night 1.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 18, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »

This was the first time I've ever been lynched as scum in a forum mafia game.  I had no idea what was going on ???.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38