Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Heavenly Tower? Tower of the Sky?  (Read 6949 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavenly Tower? Tower of the Sky?
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 01:41:39 pm »

Lianas are big tropical vines known for carrying what is essentially perfectly drinkable water in the center of their vines.  So it can happen.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »

Why would a god need a cloud to fly....  Not very omnipotent..
Omnipotent?  How can a god of fortresses, wealth, and suicide (that also isn't the only god in the world generated) be omnipotent?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 06:11:58 pm »

Norse, Greek, Roman, and Egyptian gods weren't omnipotent either.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 08:05:55 pm »

Well, I think it'd make more sense for the gods to be in a heavenly, cloud layer or whatever. Except the god of Deformity, she can be underground. >_>
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 08:38:13 pm »

Well, I think it'd make more sense for the gods to be in a heavenly, cloud layer or whatever. Except the god of Deformity, she can be underground. >_>

To some extent. Though in many myths and legends even some of the most horrific or horrific sounding gods lived in god city.

Loki lives in Asgard and he is the god of magic, trickery, and often even evil. As does the god of silence.
-At the same time Hel who is the goddess of the underworld and winter lives somewhat underground

Hades is in an odd possition since TECHNICALLY even heaven is underground. Though given how hellish everything that wasn't Heaven in the underworld is... yeah...

Though maybe I should check where Anubis and Set lived.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 08:58:27 pm »

As far as I remember Anubis resided in the underworld with Osiris, can't remember much about Set.

But yeah, I'd quite like it if each of the heavenly beings just had their own space up there, especially as cultures will be procedurally generated - how will we be able to determine which gods deserve the "evil" status and which the "good"? It'll be nearly impossible, unless some generic guidelines are in place (ie, unpopular gods get the bad seats, etc), which would be hardly desirable.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 08:45:54 am »

As far as I remember Anubis resided in the underworld with Osiris, can't remember much about Set.

But yeah, I'd quite like it if each of the heavenly beings just had their own space up there, especially as cultures will be procedurally generated - how will we be able to determine which gods deserve the "evil" status and which the "good"? It'll be nearly impossible, unless some generic guidelines are in place (ie, unpopular gods get the bad seats, etc), which would be hardly desirable.

That can be procedurally generated based on the civ's own procedural culture. If the civ happens to like murder and torture, deities of chaos, darkness and blood would probably be accounted among the "good" pantheon, while

As to where the gods live, perhaps such locations could be generated in the same way the names of gods or pantheons are: ex. Freya is a Goddess of Sunshine and Shadow and Resides in the Rainbow Hall of Bridges. Omslo is a Deity of Deception and Trickery and Resides in the Rotten Abyss of Choice.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 11:36:24 pm »

Awesome!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 12:11:25 am »

This is a cloudpuff amulet.  All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.  The object is encircled with rings of stardust and menaces with spikes of rain.

It's a great idea, but how do you hide these things?  How do you hint to the player that there's something worth finding up there?  Exploring the skies is much more difficult than exploring the ground, since you need to build your way into it.
It might take some work but if you could dynamically rescale the world ceiling as the player continues to build vertically, you could 'hide' this sort of thing by having a small, random chance for each additional level you go up that you find something interesting - perhaps some massive flying beastie or a castle filled with giants.  If course unless gravity was turned off the castle might just immediatley crash to the ground (which would be interesting in its own way), but it's a possible way of working things.

And it's also let the CPU save some effort if the player simply wasn't building any towers.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]