Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Yellowstone Supervolcano  (Read 27244 times)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowstone Supervolcano
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »

The red stone I stuffed into my walls and the mushroom farm in my basement will keep me safe from this so-called "supervolcano".

Oddly enough, the way Bauxite is used in the game confuses me, since it's the primary ore used in the development of Aluminum irl, but in the game it's just there to be magma safe and red.

Go fig.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 07:01:41 pm »

It is because bauxite is so heat resistant is why the dwarves can't get aluminum out of it.  All technology they reasonably have access to(even dunking it directly into magma at the magma forges) fails to get it to a temperature it can be smelted at.

Modernly it's smelted using another method that I don't recall at the moment.  Has to do with electricity I think.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 07:19:22 pm »

Have you seen the estimated blast radius? If this Volcano were to erupt it would take a chunk out of Canada, and thoroughly fuck-up all of North America.

Also, to give you an idea of just what a SuperVolcano is, according to geological scans there was a previous supervolcano located on a continent that was between South America and Australia. That continent is no longer there. If you look at a world map, you will see, in the area previously occupied by said long-gone continent, a series of small, scattered islands. Noteable ones include French Polynesia and the Marshall islands.

Srsly, this thing will fuck our shit up when it goes off. Which it hopefully won't for another few hundred years.

You mean all the island that were created by spot volcanos? hehehe. A supervolcano isn't going to be destroying continents.
Magma is overrated.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

It is because bauxite is so heat resistant is why the dwarves can't get aluminum out of it.  All technology they reasonably have access to(even dunking it directly into magma at the magma forges) fails to get it to a temperature it can be smelted at.

Modernly it's smelted using another method that I don't recall at the moment.  Has to do with electricity I think.

Chemical, actually. We heat it and use sodium hydroxide to melt it down, then filter it. (Edit: I think there's some electrolysis involved during the filtration process to separate the aluminum oxide from the hydroxide, now that you mention it.)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:24 pm »

Whoa, my thread is still going.

Alway - Yes, I think ash is the big deal in that kind of eruption.

Quantum Toast - Six Days?  But was it generated using an Intel 4004 or an i7?

I would imagine he borrowed one of the cores in Deep Thought. Any modern computer would take ages!

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2010, 08:48:23 pm »

Whoa, my thread is still going.

Alway - Yes, I think ash is the big deal in that kind of eruption.

Quantum Toast - Six Days?  But was it generated using an Intel 4004 or an i7?

I would imagine he borrowed one of the cores in Deep Thought. Any modern computer would take ages!
It all makes sense now!
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2010, 12:16:23 pm »

Hehe, awesome pic.

bauxite
(I think there's some electrolysis involved)

The bauxite is chemically treated to rid it of impurities, leaving Alumina (pure aluminium oxide), which is then dissolved in molten cryolite, which allows it to undergo electrolysis, which separates out the aluminium.
Said Aluminium, being heavier than the molten rock (which is essentially, you know, magma), sinks to the bottom and is tapped off as pure liquid metal.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2010, 01:49:57 pm »

It all makes sense now!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You, sir, have solved the mystery of volcanoes. We will all survive because of your brilliant discovery. Don't forget to pick up your Nobel prize on the way out.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2010, 04:15:33 pm »

I don't think that 80% of life dying out is that bad, we basically screwed the planet over anyway and there have been times in the past when 99% of life was killed.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2010, 07:04:35 pm »

Since when have WE screwed the planet over, mainsteam beliefs blame cows these days.

But yeah, it depends though, 80% of all livings things? Or like, 80% of all biomass. Big difference. Either way that could leave alot of room for us.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:22 pm »

...yeah, probably. I'd go a bit more Fallout, though.
In 1057, the storm of volcanic eruption had come again.  In two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders. And from the ashes of volcanic devastation, a new civilization would struggle to arise.  A few were able to reach the relative safety of the large underground dwarf fortresses.  Your family was part of that group, that entered fortress 'Boatmurdered'.  Imprisoned safely behind a large +obsidian door+, under a mountain of stone, a generation has lived, without knowledge of the outside world.  Life in the dwarf fortress, is about to change.

I really should play more games, so I could be more savvy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBNKa2KXZE

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2010, 07:07:47 pm »

In 1057, the storm of volcanic eruption had come again.  In two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders. And from the ashes of volcanic devastation, a new civilization would struggle to arise.  A few were able to reach the relative safety of the large underground dwarf fortresses.  Your family was part of that group, that entered fortress 'Boatmurdered'.  Imprisoned safely behind a large +obsidian door+, under a mountain of stone, a generation has lived, without knowledge of the outside world.  Life in the dwarf fortress, is about to change.

But war... war never changes. :)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2010, 07:27:35 pm »

And now some more aluminum trivia thanks to wiki!
"Although aluminium is one of the most commonly occurring elements on Earth, before the invention of the Hall-Héroult process, it was initially found to be exceedingly difficult to extract from its various ores. This made the little available pure aluminium which had been discovered (or refined at great expense) more valuable than gold. Bars of aluminium were exhibited alongside the French crown jewels at the Exposition Universelle of 1855, and Napoleon III was said to have reserved a set of aluminium dinner plates for his most honored guests. Additionally, the pyramidal top to the Washington Monument is made of pure aluminium. At the time of the monument's construction, aluminium was as expensive as silver. Over time, however, the price of the metal has dropped; the invention of the Hall-Héroult process caused the high price of aluminium to permanently collapse."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:48 am »

Umm....I like Montana. I still have a lot of family there, family that I don't particularly care to see annhilated in a tectonic explosion.

My only hope is that the caldera itself is located in Wyoming, so possibly any eruption would be contained to that region tile. No one would miss Wyoming.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2010, 09:13:15 am »

But war... war never changes. :)

I have often wondered if Ron Perlman has tired of saying that yet.

I hope not, for he is awesome, and any Fallout needs two things to be complete (besides all the post-apocalyptic funtimes)... 1. The Inkspots. 2. Ron Perlman.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8