Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Yellowstone Supervolcano  (Read 27229 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowstone Supervolcano
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2010, 11:52:04 am »

Semantics! :D

You can say that someone was "killed" by a falling rock. It does not imply intent. A change in the environment that causes something to die can be said to have "killed" that something.

And "living in harmony with the planet" is stupid anyway. Unless you add some nature spirits to the mix, the planet isn't sentient. Nature does not care. Living in harmony just means that nature can kill you ALL THE TIME, and does absolutely nothing to world-ending geological events. Plate tectonics don't stop to check whether your society is supported by factory farming or hunting and gathering.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2010, 09:26:32 am »

Semantics! :D

You can say that someone was "killed" by a falling rock. It does not imply intent. A change in the environment that causes something to die can be said to have "killed" that something.

And "living in harmony with the planet" is stupid anyway. Unless you add some nature spirits to the mix, the planet isn't sentient. Nature does not care. Living in harmony just means that nature can kill you ALL THE TIME, and does absolutely nothing to world-ending geological events. Plate tectonics don't stop to check whether your society is supported by factory farming or hunting and gathering.

"Living in harmony with the planet" is about reducing your negative footprint onto the Earth. The "planet" in that context refers to the current life on it.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Drinkwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2010, 05:00:43 pm »

I once read somewhere that if Yellowstone popped, Nova Scotia would be buried under about a foot of ash.

Im so glad i live on the east coast.
California is even further away than last year :<.
That's plate tectonics for you...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2010, 06:11:43 am »

"Living in harmony with the planet" is about reducing your negative footprint onto the Earth. The "planet" in that context refers to the current life on it.
Really? I've thought "living in harmony" implied some kind of pseudo-mystical relationship where you live IN the nature, not using technology unless you have to, like a bunch of elves. So, native Americans who hunt for food live in harmony with nature, but Vault citizens with nuclear-powered hydroponic farming do not.

Well, whatever. Preserving the biosphere because you have to live in it makes perfect sense, but preserving the bioshphere in order to avoid getting killed by an exploding volcano does not. It wasn't actually stated, but sort of implied, I think. Maybe I'm just reading too much into the original two-line post that mentioned it. ;D

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:22 am »

If geographers say soon, we'll be ok. Geographers operate on a timescale even less well defined and drawn out than Valve.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2010, 12:21:03 am »

lets shove a giant cork in it

lets see you erupt now wise guy.

cork 1 - nature 0
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2010, 12:45:34 am »

There is also 6 other supervolcanoes at the bottom of the world's oceans.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2010, 12:51:49 am »

There is also 6 other supervolcanoes at the bottom of the world's oceans.

And a few on land if I remember right. I'm sitting in nevada so I sure hope it doesn't erupt soon, because I would be what is known as "royally screwed"

Komdour

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats with these Urist McBlabla's anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2010, 01:12:35 am »

I'm in Utah. If you're 'royaly screwed' what am I?

I watched a whole documentary on this in biology last year.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2010, 06:21:22 am »

I'm in Michigan so if it goes off I'll be just close enough to watch while being far away enough to not die horribly

It's a pity that being "Due" is mostly in geological time, which means "Probably some time in the next seven centuries" so I probably won't live to see this.

Maybe, though, if immortality gets invented quickly.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2010, 09:46:15 am »

Maybe, though, if immortality gets invented quickly.

They say that the first person to live to 200 will be the first person to live to 500, and that such things aren't far off.

There was a guy who did a TED report about that. EDIT: I think it's this one.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:55:36 am by Asmodeous »
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]