Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Yellowstone Supervolcano  (Read 27230 times)

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yellowstone Supervolcano
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:02:32 pm »

I was browsing digg and noticed this Science Daily article about the Yellowstone supervolcano.  I thought it might be of interest to the rest of the DF community, especially those of my fellows who've found themselves interested in geology.

Paraphrased FTA:  It's been discovered that the Yellowstone supervolcano has a magma plume going down at least 410 miles (and perhaps all the way to the core boundary of 1,800 miles), which directly contradicts many who believed it to have a shallow, convection-fed reservoir.  Capable of eruptions over a thousand times bigger than the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption, the supervolcano could bury the western US magma and ash.

Supervolcanos could theoretically end life on Earth.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowstone Supervolcano
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:08:44 pm »

There are also papers, where geologists/volcanologists have found indications that the Yellowstone volcano erupts every ~600,000 - 700,000 years, and the last eruption was ~640,000 years ago.  Wikipedia links to some good sources.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:11:26 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »

Someone on digg also pointed that out, but they didn't have a source, either, or I would have mentioned it in my original post.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:35 pm »

The US Geological Survey also has some good information: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:55 pm »

Yeah it's very interesting.
And as Dame says we're quite a few years overdue, we have no way of hindering it and it would probably end 80%+ of all life.

No, really, it's fascinating!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 03:15:16 pm »

Yeah it's very interesting.
And as Dame says we're quite a few years overdue, we have no way of hindering it and it would probably end 80%+ of all life.

No, really, it's fascinating!

It's not that we're overdue, it's that we're due!  :o

And yes, it's fascinating.

-Dame

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:36:29 pm »

Luckily, if it's scheduled for ~650,000 years after the previous blast, it probably means that we won't be affected by it.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:40:23 pm »

Yeah, we may be due on the geological scale, but who cares? We'll all be way dead by then, chilling in the grave. If you're lucky, you might be consumed by the sweet lifeblood of Armok while you rot.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:32 pm »

Sounds like a good spot to reenact Boatmurdered.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:46:14 pm »

Supervolcano? Oh, you mean a caldera. Or in Yellowstone's case multi-caldera. Whats that, due to kill 80%+ of all life. Highly unlikely.

Agreed, a caldera would make an awsome DF embark location, it probably wont be erupting for at least another century, science is often wrong.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:46:40 pm »

We should build a wall around it.

And perhaps put an air filter above it.

Problem solved.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 03:50:10 pm »

Can you make air filters out of magma safe materials? If not, it'll deconstruct and our descendants will all die. You're forgetting that the real world has "better" physics than DF, it's been out for ages and has over 6 billion players.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:08:52 pm »

Also, do you think that a force that can burst through the earth's crust could be stopped by a wall?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 04:13:33 pm »

It's called the "crust" for a reason. if we make it about 4 feet thick that should do.

P.S. The above statement proves my ineligibility for the post of senior engineer of any project, anywhere, ever.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 04:20:19 pm »

Supervolcano? Oh, you mean a caldera. Or in Yellowstone's case multi-caldera. Whats that, due to kill 80%+ of all life. Highly unlikely.

Agreed, a caldera would make an awsome DF embark location, it probably wont be erupting for at least another century, science is often wrong.

I was just using the term ("supervolcano") used in the article.

The great thing about science is that it's usually wrong about something several times before it's right (and has the grace to admit when that happens).  I realize we're highly unlikely to see such an event, but that's beside the point and only because of the difference between geological and human timescales.  Kind of like meteor strikes, though, it's not a question of "if" but "when" another eruption like this happens.

It's called the "crust" for a reason. if we make it about 4 feet thick that should do.

This is okay if we get dwarves to build it.  Dwarven walls are well-know to be indestructible.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8