Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Yellowstone Supervolcano  (Read 27404 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowstone Supervolcano
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2009, 08:19:49 am »

That is why I mentioned I wouldn't want to be anywhere near when they tried it.  It could work, but it could also go horribly wrong beyond anyone's control quickly.

Sounds dwarvy. Too bad we can't savescum earth or gen a new world.
How do you know we can't? Clearly there needs to be more research on finding Earth's save folder! And then we could make a few copies, keep them dormant, and test out each plan to check.

Of course, we could always just download another copy of 'Existence Fortress' off the net and get playing with that. I think this version is bugged anyway.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:25 am »

That is why I mentioned I wouldn't want to be anywhere near when they tried it.  It could work, but it could also go horribly wrong beyond anyone's control quickly.

Sounds dwarvy. Too bad we can't savescum earth or gen a new world.
How do you know we can't? Clearly there needs to be more research on finding Earth's save folder! And then we could make a few copies, keep them dormant, and test out each plan to check.

Of course, we could always just download another copy of 'Existence Fortress' off the net and get playing with that. I think this version is bugged anyway.
Do you know how long it took to gen Earth last time?! Lowest estimate I've seen was six days.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:09 am »

Do you know how long it took to gen Earth last time?! Lowest estimate I've seen was six days.
Yeah, and we have no idea how many worlds were rejected during worldgen.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2009, 11:22:54 am »

Yeah, and we have no idea how many worlds were rejected during worldgen.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2009, 12:23:10 pm »

now, despite my skepticism that this supervolcano could end all life, or even any particular species in all of north america, I think its just a good enough reason for us to build self sufficient space stations.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2009, 03:42:36 pm »

No, until we can look after our own planet, we don't deserve to be allowed anywhere else. If humanity is killed off by a natural disaster before we learn to live in harmony with the planet, then that's just too bad.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2009, 05:09:49 pm »

Yeah, the estimate is for animal life...humanity will not even be affected by it, at all.

Yes, America loses a treasured national park and tourist attraction, but gains valuable knowlege on volcanism and minor global sympathy and attention from the geoloical community.

Oh, and is forced to put indoor farming into higher gear.

"Poor rural farmers." tsk. tsk.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2010, 05:23:47 pm »

humanity will not even be affected by it, at all.
Yes, America loses a treasured national park and tourist attraction

Have you seen the estimated blast radius? If this Volcano were to erupt it would take a chunk out of Canada, and thoroughly fuck-up all of North America.

Also, to give you an idea of just what a SuperVolcano is, according to geological scans there was a previous supervolcano located on a continent that was between South America and Australia. That continent is no longer there. If you look at a world map, you will see, in the area previously occupied by said long-gone continent, a series of small, scattered islands. Noteable ones include French Polynesia and the Marshall islands.

Srsly, this thing will fuck our shit up when it goes off. Which it hopefully won't for another few hundred years.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2010, 05:44:33 pm »

No, until we can look after our own planet, we don't deserve to be allowed anywhere else. If humanity is killed off by a natural disaster before we learn to live in harmony with the planet, then that's just too bad.
Harmony... with the planet?
It's an elf in disguise! Get him!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »

Who cares about the blast radius... its the ash I'm afraid of. From what i've heard, the ash would essentially be tiny glass particles which would shred your innards if you breath it for to long, eventually resulting in asphyxiation.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 12:28:51 am »

Whoa, my thread is still going.

Alway - Yes, I think ash is the big deal in that kind of eruption.

Quantum Toast - Six Days?  But was it generated using an Intel 4004 or an i7?
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 01:00:19 am »

Use drills that are held down by an immense amount of pressure, with hundreds at a time drilling in. Then we slowly increase the volume while letting tiny bits of pressure off the drill. Eventually we build massive towers made of reinforced concrete and slowly pull them up, letting off some of the pressure. Repeat this a hundred or so times, until we have thousands of pillars containing magma. With the heat they produce, Geothermal FTW

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 01:26:44 am »

The major problem with 'tapping' something like the yellowstone supervolcano, is that that if any pressure is released on the surface, that might incite more magma to come up from below, and that would be... problematic.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 01:27:36 am »

In a word, froosh.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 03:37:32 am »

The red stone I stuffed into my walls and the mushroom farm in my basement will keep me safe from this so-called "supervolcano".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8