Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Map is completely flat  (Read 2382 times)

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark Map is completely flat
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:58:01 pm »

So I'm having a very strange issue. Whenever I either create a map, or open a pre-made one, when on the embark screen, everything is fine. I can see all the mountains, rivers, etc. I choose my embark spot, enter into gameplay mode, and...

The entire map is flat, and has no features except for grass, trees, and aquifers. Sometimes, there is a slight difference in elevation at a corner or side of the map. And even though the spot finder says there is a magma pipe and underground river, Reveal2 shows that this is not true.

What might cause this? It only started recently, I used to be able to play Dwarf Fortress just fine

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Map is completely flat
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »

It might be a problem with some files in your copy.  Download a new copy and try it again.
Also, do you have any mods installed?
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:02:57 pm »

It might be a problem with some files in your copy.  Download a new copy and try it again.
Also, do you have any mods installed?
I have already tried re-downloading, I have the exact same issue.

And nope, no mods.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:55:47 pm »

When at the embark area selection screen, you can tab through multiple reports of the land from local elevation, to geological facts, to elevation variance. Should be a bunch of colored numbers from 0 to 9 and then a *. 0-2 is rather flat. past 3 might be a hillside. 7 and up is like cliff or a really steep mountain slope. * is usually an indicator of chasms.

DF has very flat areas. It is normal to find them. Generally, they're wherever deep rivers and big mountains aren't.

The upcoming version will have more underground variety, so you won't care as much about how flat it is later.

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:05:09 pm »

But as I said, it shows me on the embark screen all the features that should appear in actual gameplay, but don't. Furthermore, as I said, it used to be fine, and in my experience, you never get a map that is completely flat, like I am getting. Yes, there are flat areas, but not worlds. And on top of that, I also said rivers don't appear.

In addition, underground rivers and magma pipes don't appear, so there is no underground variance either. I guess a less wordy way of explaining this issue would be "Absolutely no map variance".

Yes, I know all about that information. That is how I know there should be height variance. In fact, I always embark against mountains. Please don't assume that I'm just some idiot, or new user too lazy to actually check out the interface in detail. Excuse me for sounding rude, but did you read my post at all?

Also, I just remembered something. This problem only started occurring when I reinstalled my OS. I originally ran under Windows XP 32-bit, and I am now using 64-bit. Would that have anything to do with it? When I look at the process in task manager, Windows says that it is running in 32-bit mode anyways, but I dunno. This is the only thing I can think of that has changed between when it worked and when it didn't.

Oh, and one more thing. An ammendment to my previous post: I use Mayday's pack, but that isn't a mod, is it?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:39:08 pm by Seizure »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:59:18 pm »

Mayday's pack is a mod. It includes graphical changes and the "Economic Stone" mod that allows you to turn off the use of any kind of stone for construction work.

As for your initial problem, all I can think of is that you're switcihng civilizations after selecting your site. Doing this causes the game to pick a new embark site in your local area map, for some reason.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 01:12:54 am »

I am most definitely dwarves.

They look like dwarves, and I never specifically changed the option.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:07:42 am »

I am most definitely dwarves.

They look like dwarves, and I never specifically changed the option.

He means switching Dwarven Civs... there are usually three or four to choose from in the <Tab> menu.
Never pet a burning dog.

Seizure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:51:22 pm »

Well, I've never changed that either. Plus, as I said, it isn't just my tiny little embark area that is flat... it's the entire map. :/

Edit: Ugh, finally figured it out. Seems I misunderstood the purpose the embark size. >< I feel really silly now.

Though perhaps a slight change should be made so that the "embark site" is called something different? I always thought it was something else, and just realized now what my problem was...

At any rate, thanks to you all for trying to help.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:58:10 pm by Seizure »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »

I'm confused as to what you thought it meant, myself...

Did you think it meant the entire region tile?  An embark site CAN be made that large, but most people don't do that.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:59:41 pm by Malicus »