Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McCratfsdwarf cancels Strange Mood: Strange Mood  (Read 1435 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McCratfsdwarf cancels Strange Mood: Strange Mood
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:23:00 am »

For nigh unto a year now I have barricaded myself in this damp, cluttered workshop.  I have almost everything I need - gems, stone, and that vision, that damned VISION that won't get itself out of my head - but they do not understand!  This curious temperament that has stolen my voice, indeed, my very body - it will not let me go, and yet they will not provide me with the one thing I need to cure myself of this infernal state - leather!  Just a simple piece of leather!  Do they seek me dead?  DO THEY WISH THIS TASK TO BE MY END?  No...  not my end.  I WILL have my leather!  I MUST have my leather!

Urist McCraftsdwarf looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Urist McCraftsdwarf has destroyed a door!
Uris McMayor has been struck down!

How about a small chance for secretive/possessed dwarves to switch to a fell mood to satisfy their material demands for their artifact when relevant?  Possibly depending on whether the dwarf has "...does not care about anything anymore", a propensity towards anger or violence, or a similar such trait?  Dwarves seeking leather could use skin, bones for bones, skulls as a replacement for shell maybe, sinew or hair replacing fiber/silk.  Fell moods seem exceptionally rare, at least for me, but unmet demands are much more frequent, especially in starting forts.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McCratfsdwarf cancels Strange Mood: Strange Mood
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:33:00 am »

I like the thought behind this idea. Generally speaking, anything that fleshes out the impact of differing personalities is a good thing, and dramatic scenarios such as this particularly so.

I feel that strange moods in general could and should be, ideally, far more complex than they are, but by the time that comes about they may well be a more minor part of fortress mode than they are now - we'll probably have alternatives, and/or other things to worry about.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:35:08 am by 3 »

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:02:18 am »

First off, nice read.

And I really think they need to be more persistant on getting their resources. If they have divine inspiration, they won't let a "No, don't take this" or "Sorry, we don't have this" stop them from their MISSION. One would think a moody dwarf would go ahead and steal that trifle pewter bar from that caravan passing by.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:12:50 pm by Julius Clonkus »
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:52:33 pm »

And I really think they need to be more persistant on getting their resources. If they have divine inspiration, they won't let a "No, don't take this" or "Sorry, we don't have this" stop them from their MISSION. One would think a moody dwarf would go ahead and steal that trifle pewter bar from that caravan passing by.

Or if they need a shell, go down to the nearest fishable area with turtles or cave lobster (ignoring forbidden doors, "stay inside" orders, etc), catch one, gobble it up unprocessed to generate a shell, vomit from eating the unprocessed meat, and then continue with the artifact.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:58:13 pm »

Or if they need a shell, go down to the nearest fishable area with turtles or cave lobster (ignoring forbidden doors, "stay inside" orders, etc), catch one, gobble it up unprocessed to generate a shell, vomit from eating the unprocessed meat, and then continue with the artifact.

Or drag it to the shop, divest it of its shell, and leave something to be cleaned (or face miasma).  This penalizes a player for not having the supply, but doesn't gaurantee losing the dwarf.