Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 88147 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Toady's Help
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:10 pm »

I just got this email from Toady, let's discuss it:

I'm not quite ready to post the new ones...  well I guess they are
mostly set.  I think nails/claws are still giving me error messages.
I can't really judge the difficulty.  If people operate through copy
paste I don't imagine it can be that hard, but even beyond that I
don't think it's that much of a nightmare.  But I'm not sure.  Here is
a cougar you can ask questions about:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 11:57:16 pm »

Oh man, I can't wait to have a helluva time trying to figure the creature raws out again.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 01:44:13 am »

Oh man, I can't wait to have a helluva time trying to figure the creature raws out again.

As you and others figure it out, please share here!  Toady seems willing to help too.

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 01:52:52 am »

I've already spent some time looking through the dwarf raws that Toady posted, and the cougar raws don't look qualitatively different (unsurprisingly, since they're both mammals).  I can probably answer questions about how the new stuff works, at least as far as bodies, creatures, materials, and reactions are concerned.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:54:29 am by Footkerchief »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 02:11:53 am »

I've already spent some time looking through the dwarf raws that Toady posted, and the cougar raws don't look qualitatively different (unsurprisingly, since they're both mammals).  I can probably answer questions about how the new stuff works, at least as far as bodies, creatures, materials, and reactions are concerned.
Oh, I don't mean it'll be terribly hard. I mean, a good majority of those tags I could probably figure out what they mean just from looking at them. It's just ones that don't make obvious sense that will need a little testing, possibly even seeing what tags go together with what...

Oh man, the whole creature tokens page on the wiki is gonna have to be re-written! Awesome.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:06 am »

I'm wondering how we could go about adding stripes (for example). At the minute we've got "[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
            [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:TAN:1]"

which seems to imply that the whole tissue layer is one colour. Maybe we can get around that by making there be two layers of hair, or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 09:38:02 am »

I'm wondering how we could go about adding stripes (for example). At the minute we've got "[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]

which seems to imply that the whole tissue layer is one colour. Maybe we can get around that by making there be two layers of hair, or something.
And suddenly making the Bengal Tiger looks a good bit harder.  Yeah, that could be tricky.  Best option would probably be to break the hair down into alternating layers, if possible, that don't overlap but are right next to each other, then making them different colors.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 09:41:25 am »

How many types of tiger are there, anyway?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 10:27:06 am »

I can think of Bengal and Siberian off the top of my head.

This mentions Malayan, Indochinese, Sumatran, South China, and, only recently extinct, Bali, Javan, and Caspian.

Most of the differences seem to be size and pelt color variations (how much a subspecies coloration can vary), and obviously it wouldn't make sense to call them South China Tigers in a game where South China doesn't exist.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 10:32:43 am »

I wanna make the trichordates!
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 10:36:20 am »

If you want to include every subspecies we'll not see the end of this project.

Try to stay focused on introducing new species, and not variations or subspecies of existing ones.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 10:47:12 am »

I wanna make the trichordates!
Hate to break it to you, but they're all dead.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 12:55:00 pm »

After reading about the mythological Brasilian Mapinguari, and how that was likely based on cultural memory of surviving Giant Ground Sloths, I'm tempted to put together a list of a bunch of extinct Megafauna, that are similar enough to modern ones that they could be Giant, Dire, or Monsterous varieties of several common animals. Actually, I would make a motion that all "Giant" animals in this pack should be based on some frightening, gigantic historic predecessor species.

Andrewsarchus or Bear-Dogs for for Dire/Giant Wolves, a mix of Brontothere and Wooly Rhinos for Dire/Giant Rhinos (and yes, there should be giant Rhinos), Mastodons for Dire Elephants, and Moeritherium for Dire Hippos, to name a few.

Of course, giant Ground Sloths necessitate that we have normal Sloths as well, and probably Jungle-dwelling Sloth-Men. Same for Rhinos, etc. A great list of dynamic extinct mammalian megafauna are here and here.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 01:13:16 pm »

There'll be a way to add patterns to a tissue layer, about that you don't have to worry. Here's the relevant devlog item.
Color variations and changes over time are done (for any tissue layer, from skin or muscle to the stomach to eyebrows or claws), and I've defined a new colored pattern definition for things like stripes and mottled patterns that can have more than one color at a time. So you could have your borgle's borgle fade from either their starting blue or starting red into a purple and green striped pattern gradually as they age, or something.

What might be worrying is how complex setting them up could be. You can see an example in the dwarf raws and the eye color raws.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 01:51:41 pm »

After reading about the mythological Brasilian Mapinguari, and how that was likely based on cultural memory of surviving Giant Ground Sloths, I'm tempted to put together a list of a bunch of extinct Megafauna, that are similar enough to modern ones that they could be Giant, Dire, or Monsterous varieties of several common animals.

This has crossed my mind.  Extinct creatures would be awesome!  As a matter of fact, I would like to see dinosaur-age creatures for those who want to "own" that part!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22