Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Please Participate!  (Read 88001 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Please Participate!
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2010, 04:33:21 am »

As for the color/colour conundrum, why don't you simply release two versions? It would be a hell of a lot more user-base friendly that way (Americans aren't the only people who play DF).

Whilst I do agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment (blood rushes direct to my head when MS Word tries to turn my 'ises' into 'izes') it does seem unneccessary (to me) to take things down this route.

Especially considering it will be based on people's spare time I would have thought it was easier we have something that is consistently wrong (i.e. spelt like what the Americans spell things) than variably correct, or unneccessarily complicated for contributors to contribute?

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2010, 05:32:07 am »

It wouldn't be too hard to create two versions. It would be a simple copy/paste deal for the most part. I realise that it would create two databases to update in normal circumstances but there are ways to synchronise them. For instance, if anyone here has InfoRapid, a simple script file could be written up with all the substitutions in it. Then you just keep one file and run the script on a duplicate every time you want to upload it. Failing that, you could hand out the substitution file.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2010, 06:36:31 am »

Uhm, assuming that DF itself does indeed use American English, surely you want to have mods consistent with that (as long as you care about that spelling stuff at all, that is)?

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2010, 07:41:30 am »

Not really. It's fairly trivial to edit it to use mostly UK spelling.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2010, 09:21:11 am »

For instance, if anyone here has InfoRapid, a simple script file could be written up with all the substitutions in it. Then you just keep one file and run the script on a duplicate every time you want to upload it. Failing that, you could hand out the substitution file.

I'll look into this.  All other things being equal, it'd be nice if we could do a British English distribution, and I'm half expecting that we'll end up using some kind of script to assemble our distribution raws anyway.

Any thoughts on where/how we should host our raws, once we start implementing creatures?  Obviously we'll need version control of some kind.  I'm leaning toward Google Code.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:37:02 am by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:14 pm »

Uhh that is odd... The Tasmanian Tiger has disapeared (which I used the name "Tiger Wolf")

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2010, 01:15:55 pm »

Uhh that is odd... The Tasmanian Tiger has disapeared (which I used the name "Tiger Wolf")

It's on the list as "thylacine."

Any further feedback from anyone on the draft for the next OP?  If not I'll go ahead and PM Rainseeker to lock this thread.  The OP can still be revised after it's posted, of course.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:22:28 pm by Footkerchief »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »

I moved crustaceans and insects to their own pages and gave them a little more structure.  I added a few crabs, and worked through the insect order Orthoptera (grasshoppers etc) and the first few suborders of beetles.  I'm only including the beetle families that are either very large (in terms of # of species) or obviously interesting.

Crustaceans
Insects
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:25:50 pm by Footkerchief »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2010, 04:56:21 pm »

THEN off to insects! Like those Giant Bees/Wasps.
Vespa mandarinia are scary enough and they're an extant species o_o;

Also split up Cenozoic that is too broad a seperation as it both includes
A) Wolly Mammoths, Terror Birds, Dire Wolves
and
B) The Dodo Birds, Passanger pigeon, and really any recently extinct animal.

The Dodo bird doesn't have the same context when we reflect upon it then the Wolly Mammoth.
-This also contradicts your statements on "Extinction" unless you plan to move the Extinct animals that don't fit there anymore. Like the Auroch who went extinct AFTER the medieval times.
I'm thinking that the subgroups can be further split however we deem appropriate so somebody that wants a game full of dinosaurs walking the Earth can get a pack of that but somebody that cringes when they think of Trex walking around with dinosaurs from earlier periods can get a more specific one to install that won't grate on them (much?)

Someone did add tardigrades already -- that'll probably have to be removed.
Maybe you could just convert them to megabeast only- they'd be pretty cool in that form n_n

Well really most things with exoskeleton type bodies (*jointed appendages) make great megabeasts.

As for the color/colour conundrum, why don't you simply release two versions? It would be a hell of a lot more user-base friendly that way (Americans aren't the only people who play DF).
You can go into the raws and change spellings if you want. With a good word processor you can even replace ever instance of color with colour by typing those both out and clicking just the once per file.

Since this is a wiki-type project you shouldn't just tell other people to do something you could easily do and submit for public use~

If not I'll go ahead and PM Rainseeker to lock this thread.
Ooh, looks like I'm last minute posting.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »

The new thread has been posted.  Please continue any discussions there.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]