Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: acquaintances list  (Read 1176 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
acquaintances list
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Right now, a dorf's thoughs and preferences seems too vague for my taste. For example, we know that dwarfs can make friends, marry, and have babies. but none of that info is sufficiently expressed in any way so we currently have to do detective work to find out who those acquaintances are. Adding a list of current dwarf relationships would help a lot to help player understand why dwarves do the weird stuff they end up doing when something bad vaguely related to them happens. Just to justify my suggestion, we currently can see to which dwarf animals belong to (or vice versa in the case of cats). Why this can't be done with dwarven relationships?

Also, why is there a difference between what is shown in engravings between Fort and Adv mode? It shouldn't be the other way around with dwarves being able to see to whom the engraving refers to as opposed to an complete stranger who happened to stumble up by the ruins "by chance"? I know that the way it's done works like a form of reward for player who recently abandoned a fortress. But to  be honest it's awkward and few fortress mode players are motivated to play adv mode just to find the stuff. Maybe tying quests to abandoned fortresses might help but still I would prefer if I could see the complete info in fortress mode.

[ January 25, 2008: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: acquaintances list
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

Agreed with both suggestions.  Lack of information on an important cause of the collapse of many forts is a problem (I also feel that dwarven friendships should not cause chain-reaction tantrums and instead strengthen cohesion in crisis, but that's another issue), and giving fuller information on engravings in dwarf fortress mode would make this already neat game feature even better.   :)
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>...friendships should not cause chain-reaction tantrums and instead strengthen cohesion in crisis...</STRONG>

I agree with the original poster and what Fedor said here. If Dwarfy McDwarf's cat can comfort her and keep her from going berserk, why can't her friends do the same? If dwarves are as good friends as they are parents, the chain reaction is understandable, however.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

Concerning engravings:   I believe it's because in Fort mode you're given avague overview of everything going on in the fort- stuff is semi-abstracted.

But in Adventure mode, you're personally going up close and personal and inspecting stuff.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Concerning engravings:   I believe it's because in Fort mode you're given avague overview of everything going on in the fort- stuff is semi-abstracted.

But in Adventure mode, you're personally going up close and personal and inspecting stuff.</STRONG>

Yeah, but still it doesn't make much sense since a lot of info you obtain in fortress mode during play is anything but vague (artifact descriptions are way too descriptive, they only miss the creator's name) and again, even if up close and personal, an adventurer would be not able to tell how was the artist of a particular engraving and whom it depicts (unless the adventurer has a degree in archeology or something).

Vagueness in the info either from the thoughts and preferences or the engravings detracts from the gameplay experience IMHO.

[ January 26, 2008: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:24:22 am by penguinofhonor »

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile