Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange moods  (Read 1788 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange moods
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »

What governs whether a mood is fey, secretive, or possessed? I seem to get almost exclusively possessed dwarves when I get moods, and I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to actually make my dorfs gain experience from their artifacts.

Pabbicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange moods
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:05 pm »

From what I've seen and heard, there are conditions but once those are filled it is mostly random when moods strike and what moods strike.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:03:07 pm »

That has, to my knowledge, never been determined. Means there's either some voodoo involved that the community hasn't figured out yet, or it's completely random, the unpleasant streak of several possessed moods notwithstanding.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »

Do non-dwarves get moods? Will your human town or kobold camp get artifacts?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »

I always assumed it was based on overall happiness, since the dwarves who only get possessed moods for me are new migrants. The only time I've had a tantrum spiral everyone died too quickly. I've never seen a fell mood or macabre

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »

The last two artifacts for me have both been from possessed glassmakers. I'm not really sure if I'm doing something that makes possession's occur rather than Fey or Secretive. The only thing I'm doing myself is mass-production of stone, leather and plant fiber crafts.

Maybe it's to tune down my immediate fort-worth gain? Because we all know as soon as that glassmaker hits it Legendary, he's going to be churning out so many raw glass gems for the jewelers that it's ridiculous.

And Monkey, as far as I know, any civ you play with is mood-eligible.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 05:34:36 pm »

Re: Non-Dwarves
If I remember properly, the wiki used to list the [trANCES] token as enabling both Martial Trances and Strange Moods.  This may have been changed, but if you decide to play Humans or Kobolds and find you never get a mood, this may be the reason.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 05:40:30 pm »

From my experience, it only affects Martial Trances these days. I've had kobolds and a few modded races get moods without that tag. Must be hardcoded, at least at the moment, or the Wiki has always been wrong about that part.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »

Do non-dwarves get moods? Will your human town or kobold camp get artifacts?

I know that Kobold Camp will. Not sure about other non-dwarf mods.

I believe that all the normal mood types (fey, secretive, possessed) are random. However, only an unhappy, very unhappy, or miserable dwarf will get a fell or macabre mood.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »

I do think happiness has some bearing on it.  In one of my first fortresses, I remember getting only possessed moods, and no legendary's, and I was quite sad.  Likewise when I got better, and my legendary dining hall was in effect, I got fey moods almost exclusively.  And now in my most recent fort, which is having various problems, and happiness is low (like content/happy, but not ecstatic) I've been getting mainly possessed moods, and now that I've gotten everything set up and morale is high, I'm getting fey moods again.

Do you smell that?  It smells like an experiment.  It smells like... science8) I'm on it!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 07:43:09 am »

While everyone likes SCIENCE, it's always a tad sad when you think you have something there, and tests result in something else.

Taking the above as a possible theory, I then had a Fey Gem Setter, who was quite content with his life. Huzzah!

Just now, a farmer was possessed. And he's quite content as well.

Dammit.

Maybe it's tied to personalities, just like failed mood outcomes are?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:51:06 am by Ieb »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 07:56:25 am »

like failed mood outcomes are?

Whoa, seriously? That's news to me.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 07:59:24 am »

Well, I'm not sure if they're tied hard, like dwarves who have anger issues always go berserk, sad dwarves are likely to go melancholic and everyone else does the first, second or simply go insane.

Or was it that leaning towards some trait just increased the chance of particular mood failure outcome?

So maybe certain personality traits make dwarves lean more towards Possession/Secretive/Fey?  But it'd still have the possibility of a random mood happening?