Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let it burn!  (Read 7217 times)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: Let it burn!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:18 am »

10 pop up rejects(screaming about not having beign areas to place drawfs)
countless non-popup rejects

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:58 am »

seed and screenshots please.
also, what did you answer to the pop up rejects?

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 09:04:54 am »

Ok, this is erring on the side of ridiculous now let me just state the issue that you two seem to be skirting. It's painfully obvious that andrea doesn't believe you Ze Spy and quite frankly you're not doing a good job of convincing either. Just put up some definitive proof showing that you did in fact come up with this miraculously unlikely area or we're not going to believe you.
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:13 am »

No matter what gen params you use the best you could possibly get is a magma pipe and pool on every single region tile. Making more than 1 each is flat out impossible by gen param modification alone.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:54 am »

An imp had set all of the grass on fire, quite short after start.
Now my carpenter/woodcutter had been working non-stop outside, actually creating some masterpieces. The fire burned down the carpenters workshop, and he quickly went into a tantrum, killing a miner. As if that wasn't enough, he decided to enter berserker mode, killing the other miner, and then slaughtering all of the other dwarfs.

Nice limbcutter he was.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 04:39:56 pm »

On a couple of fortresses I tried making, I never had a chance. As soon as I embarked, the fire man from the open magma pit (ironically, on both fortresses) promptly walked out onto the grass, and burned all of my residents and food and booze. The same thing happened on the re-embark for both of them. I had to embark elsewhere!

Fun fact: You embark in the cente of the last biome you were examining - if there's one farther from the magma pipe, you can just do that next time.

Wow, this is much more than a fun fact! This is crucial for doing certain things appropriately for survial in certain locations!

Either way, though, it was that the fire man was out standing on the grass, which would then burn across the map and destroy everything.
A bit late, but ought to be pointed out that the "fun fact" doesn't work any more. It WAS true for some older version(s) (.38c, maybe?) but it is NOT true for .40d. When it worked, I made use of it all the time by trying to embark close to a magma pipe without being right on top of it. That said, though, changing the last selected biome does have an impact on where your dwarves embark, but it's nowhere near as obvious as it was in that old version.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 04:41:03 pm »

I normally play Kobold Camp so my buildings are usually shallow surface buildings mabye two floors high, with large basements.

Naturally, my Kobolds start by digging out a trench for both invader safety and fire safety (now anyways)
But before I started doing that, this happened...

I had 30 Kobolds, bedrooms 4 layers down in the mud, and 5 layers down was my food storage rooms. Above these up to ground level was my workshops, and on the top layer of the building was my Kobold Slingers and Archers training area, which doubled as their outpost.

I had a herbalist out, finding plants to gather, and had been out for probably 6 seasons or so picking herbs and saving them in my bottom layer of my fort.

An Imp spotted the poor little kobold, who ran for his life, and just narrowly avoided a fireball, which hit a tree, and caused the entire valley to light on fire.
My first basement floor was far too wide at this time to channel out a canal around it without collapsing my towers, so I began frantically paving the land around me.
I ran out of stone, and regretably.. the fire made it to my kobolds little homes around the fort.. burning their little independant homes, which were all connected underground to the main structure via tunnels.

Knowing I'd be unable to save the tower, I convinced my kobolds to play fire fighter with buckets of water to hold off the doom coming towards us, so I made wooden walls where I couldnt pave (6 squares in a row) and designated it as a pit fill up zone from above, so that the little guys would dump water to keep the area fresh and wet.

It worked until the little bit of water reserve I had on this map which they could access at the time, ran out.

the wooden wall burned, and I lost 3 heroic kobolds, all carrying burning buckets to their graves.

the grass behind the ashes of the wall, lit and spread quickly.
My kobolds had only one chance for survival now, and that was to secure the food in the basement and place it elsewhere.

When the fire hit the base of the tower, it collapsed. Killing all remaining 27 kobolds in one fell swoop during their frantic ant like survival panic.

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 10:04:26 pm »

Last time I embarked on a map with a magma pipe, the surroundings were terrifying and heavily wooded. I ended up moving a fair distance away from the initial wagon to build the entrance to my fortress, so to simplify matters I set my food stockpiles to be just outside the entrance while my miners dug out the inside. In retrospect, that was probably the greatest mistake I made.

Seeing that the magma pipe was open air, I set about walling it off so that any wandering merchants wouldn't aggro the fire imps. In addition, my woodcutter/axedwarf was standing guard in order to kill any imps who came to the surface.

I was about halfway through with that when a band of Foul Blendecs attacked somebody getting something from the initial embark point, so I moved the axedwarf over to defend. Unfortunately, not only was he too late to save that first dwarf (breaktime!), but there was enough of the dastards that my axedwarf was being overwhelmed. That was when the first fireball flew into the melee.

While he was occupied with the Blendecs, 3 imps had swam up the pipe and attacked from behind. Do Fire Imps fight other random wildlife? It seemed like they were, although it may have just been terrible accuracy on their part. The important part of the story is that they managed to set fire to the grass, and that was the end of that. Most of the Blendecs were killed or at least really damn injured in the forest fire, which was a plus. The minus was that the fire then swept over the ramp leading to my fort, and coincidentally most of my food and booze stockpiles. To top it off, whatever dwarf was on corpse retrieval evidently decided to grab those loose possessions even though it entailed walking through the WALL of fire TWICE, which naturally lead to the immolation of most of my beds, barrels, bins, and remaining food and booze supplies. Survivors: Well, survivor. One craftsdwarf who was merrily churning out mugs during the entire debacle.

Game over, man.
Pages: 1 2 [3]