Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tips on playing  (Read 13301 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Tips on playing
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:37:02 pm »

Er, so I'm not sure how to play this. I read through the Crime Squad Manual, and then started doing stuff. First day I told my man to look up some polls online, and second day he was arrested.
While selling brownies.

Also, the judge called him "Dale Parker" for some reason. I don't want to use the "walkthrough" strategy (as commendable and useful as it may be), but... how do I do stuff in general? Do I just make tons of money, gear up my dude, and then go forth and destroy? I'm not sure how to play at all.
Additionally, what should I do about the trial? Hire a lawyer or whatnot? It'd take up all my money.

EDIT: I decided to get the court-appointed attorney.

What the heck?! I'm being prosecuted by the friggin' KKK? That is not a jury of my peers, guys! Additionally my own defense turned against me! Aaargh.
Then my dude was sentenced to three months in prison (the judge called him "Dale Parker" again), but he's going to be released next month? Huh?
...and he's been released immediately for some reason.

Ffffffffffffffffff he's been arrested again

EDIT:
Okay, here is all the important information I have gathered so far.

STRATEGY
First get the latest version here!
One of the most important parts of the game is getting recruits. Getting more Juice and Leadership lets you recruit more people, and getting more persuasion lets you convince people to join you. Juice can be easily acquired by robbing apartments. To do this, you need the Security skill, which is gained by picking locks. Go to industrial district apartments and practice picking locks (Don't pick locks if someone's there - in fact, make sure never to pick locks or take goods or do anything criminal like that if someone's there, or it will make trouble. Just move away a square and then move back). Pick all the locks, but don't enter the rooms. Repeat this until you can consistently pick most of the locks. Then start on the the university district apartments, then the downtown ones. At this point, you may want to increase your chances of easy escape by leveling your Stealth skill, which is used when your disguise is so bad that stealth would be better. You can achieve this by walking around places naked (remember to put your clothes back on afterwards!). Once you can consistently pick downtown apartment locks and possibly have good Stealth, go to the downtown apartments and rob everyone blind. You can net many thousands of dollars through this. Additionally, you will get 1 Juice for every item stolen, and you can quickly max out your juice at 1000. You may also want to buy a spray can at the Pawn Shop and spray graffiti to do this, though it is risky.

Once you feel you are financially secure (I recommend $5000) and have decent juice, you will be able to recruit people. To recruit, you may need persuasion. You can try recruiting hippies at the Vegan Co-Op in the University District. However, if you would like to raise your persuasion to recruit more effectively (and be able to recruit more difficult and more advantageous targets, like Moderate judges), you can do so by Soliciting Donations. Keep in mind that the very act of recruiting hippies will also raise your persuasion.

Now you should have money, a successful career (that is to say, thieving), high juice, some skills, and some recruits. There are many useful tasks your recruits may be able to accomplish. Although robbery is a reliable, efficient means of acquiring moolah, you may want to create a workforce (for example, if robbing apartments takes too long and is boring). One useful job is soliciting donations; it brings in little money but raises persuasion. Art is fairly lucrative. Selling Brownies brings in a lot of money and raises the useful Cooking skill, but it is illegal, so make sure to equip cooks well and train them if need be, or to devise some way to get them out of jail if you decide to give them up to the police. Credit card fraud is very lucrative.
(to be continued)

TIPS
1. Juice is extremely important. Natural skill in a task is as nothing against the incredible skill capacity of maxed juice. What's more, juice can raise liberals' heart, which prevents them from falling prey to conservative thinking (this is especially important for those pathetic hostages you tortured down to one heart, one wisdom). I recommend creating a juicer squad - a professional thief, plus any low-juice or low-heart liberals you may have (even if a liberal has 100+ juice, it is important to raise his juice level if he is on the verge of desertion). Send this juicer squad into downtown apartments daily to rob those poor fools who buy new laptops and jewelry every day, just for you. This is incredibly useful - as well as keeping your liberals juiced up, it can be very lucrative (in fact, it is my main income source!).

2. It can take a very long time to train your liberals to do things, especially when they have low skill levels. Teaching is useful, but can be expensive and inefficient. As such, I recommend creating an uber-liberal of many skills. My founder and main liberal, Cheddarius The Mighty, has 138 skill at the moment, and 15.63 Teaching skill. Have your chosen demigod (I like to use my founder, since I train him up anyway; you might also use someone with high heart or stats) participate in activities that raise important skills; Computers, Security, Disguise, and Stealth are all useful. Gather all or most of your liberals in one place, and have him teach. He will be able to teach efficiently, because of his high teaching (eventually) and because he is teaching multiple skills (for example, Security and Stealth because you've trained him in both those skills).

3. Don't get caught! When you're skipping joyously through a hotel, gleefully opening all the doors and robbing everyone's possessions while they drool obliviously mere feet away, sometimes you will come across conservative scum. To avoid them freaking out, quickly seduce them with your macho love techniques! Practice dating people if you want to train up Seduction, then use pickup lines on people whenever they're about to sound the alarm.

4. Move your phat lewtz! Whether the police are about to raid you, or you need some equipment in another apartment, use R-8 to move things to where you want them to be.

VARIOUS MISCELLANEIA
Is that even a word? Anyway:
More liberal systems = better lawyers
Crowbars are good for breaking doors open

Also! For you newbies out there, I have a save set up just for you! Near $200k in cash, almost every liberal decked out in SWAT Tactical Armor, a bunch of Police Body Armors to spare, several newspaper items if you want to try that out. Massive hacker force, which means that you can basically do anything and your cash will soar, even if you have a bunch of guys teaching. If you want to experience a siege, just keep playing for a while and publishing police records; they'll track you down. If you don't, when heat moves up in Allanshaw, move to Day Health Insurance. It's version 4.01.4, have fun!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:48:05 pm by Cheddarius »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on playing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:45:22 pm »

Alright, let me explain.

Dale Parker is his CONSERVATIVE BIRTH NAME, not the real liberal name you chose for him. As for how the legal system goes, that's all up to how CONSERVATIVE the legal system is.

Also, the brownies are illegal as they are laced with marijuana.

Court appointed lawyers are only going to be half way decent if the Legal System is Liberal or better.

Edit: Also, the reason it seemed like it was only an instant is because, if you don't have any other liberals, time jumps ahead to the release date.
!!&!!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:48:13 pm »

Ah, pot brownies. I thought they were just normal.
Oh, thanks for the explanations - these will be helpful!

I got some money, traveled to the pawnshop, and bought two crowbars. I have $1700 or so left - what weapons should I buy? The most expensive are $300: the 9mm semi-automatic, .44 magnum, shotgun, and .45 semi-automatic.
I assume I buy some guns and then swagger about shooting/kidnapping people?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:02:14 pm »

Nah, that won't really get you anywhere fast but dead. Try less direct methods. Recruit some hippies to the cause from the Vegan Co-op, and get them earning money by doing artwork, or soliciting donations. Soliciting donations increases persuasion, which is a very important skill. Crowbars aren't that useful right now, unless your security is way low.

The first thing you want to do is spray graffiti about twenty five times in the crack houses and slums to get your juice up.
!!&!!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:26:57 pm »

Ah, okay, thanks!

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:40:25 pm »

Stealing from apartments (The industrial district has the weakest locks, but the worst loot) is both relatively safe and easy for earning juice, as well as a number of useful skills like Security and Disguise (or Stealth).  You should first start trying to pick locks, leave when you arouse Conservative suspicion, then try again the next day.  Once you can somewhat reliably open locked doors, start going into the apartments on the ground floor and looking for loot.  Be careful, though; Liberals and Moderates don't care if you're tresspassing, but Conservatives do, so try not to run into one.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 11:00:14 pm »

Note that in the current version the chances of encountering anyone in the apartments is lower than it was in previous versions, and as stealing items gets you juice now, going for those downtown apartments really seems like the way to get cash now. A character with ~13 stealth or disguise (preferably both) and ~7 security should be able to clear most of the block in one run, alone, getting out with $8000+.

Also note that wearing a police uniform counts as a partial disguise even inside the apartments themselves.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 11:47:41 pm »

"Raymond Buttman"? Seriously? That's this guy's code name?

Thanks for all the advice, guys!
Some more questions, if you will:
1. What should I talk about to convert people? 30 innocent people being executed sounds pretty decent to me, but dudes are all "Whatever" when I tell them that.
2. How can I make art? It's not an option in the menu.
3. I, er, tried to pick a lock in front of a gang and they attacked me and killed my best guy, so I restarted. What are the rules about this? When should I pick locks and when should I run for it? Does having a good disguise let me pick locks without getting in trouble?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:58:56 pm »

Don't do anything untoward in front of anyone. If you step onto a tile next to a door that you want to open/with machinery on it that you want to trash/with an item you want/with a jail cell/whatever, and it has anyone, liberal, neutral or conservative, also on that tile, step away, then back again. If there's someone there again, repeat until there isn't anyone there any more.

Even with a decent thievery skill it's not worth trying to pick things up or break things in plain sight, because the only thing that will come of that is you alienating people.

Making art is under "sell portraits" or whatever in the "legal fundrasing" bit of the activism screen.

Whether or not you can get someone's attention when talking to them depends on your persuasion skill and, generally, how "difficult" they're designed to be (I'm not sure what factors into this). Talk to loads of homeless people in the shelter to build your persuasion skill up, then move on to more difficult targets when the skill growth starts slowing down.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:04:47 am »

"Raymond Buttman"? Seriously? That's this guy's code name?

No, that's his actual name. I don't know why so many people in LCS are named Buttman. However, you have options to randomly choose a different first or last name. However:

1. What should I talk about to convert people? 30 innocent people being executed sounds pretty decent to me, but dudes are all "Whatever" when I tell them that.

Whoa. You're running an ancient version of the game. Look at the "LCS 4.01.3 Download" thread to get a modern, much spiffier version which includes things like changing your founder's name...

2. How can I make art? It's not an option in the menu.

...and selling art.

3. I, er, tried to pick a lock in front of a gang and they attacked me and killed my best guy, so I restarted. What are the rules about this? When should I pick locks and when should I run for it?

Don't pick locks in front of anyone. When you're standing next to the locked door, and there's someone else there, step away from the door and back. They should go away. Now you can pick the lock.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 12:05:59 am »

So irmo totally beat me to it, but right now it sounds like you're playing the latest version that's linked on the LCS page of the Bay 12 Games website, which is version 3.09. That's the last version that Tarn Adams (Toady One) worked on before ending development of LCS completely and leaving it to the open source community. 3.09 is about five years old, and the advice you're getting pertains to version 4.01.3, which you can get here:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46116.0

This is an unofficial version, but it's a labor of love nonetheless. You won't be able to keep your save though.

To answer your latest questions:
1. It doesn't matter what you talk about, it's just flavor. In later versions the computer picks a topic for you at random.
2. Making art wasn't in the game as of 3.09.
3. It's best to not pick locks, grab loot, or smash things if you see people nearby. Just walk away and act casual -- they should be gone by the time you move back into the tile.

On weapons:
.44 magnum and shotgun are more powerful, 9mm and .45 semiauto have more ammo. In later versions, shotgun is the only one of these that can blow limbs off, and it uses the shotgun skill (the rest use pistol skill), but it will draw more suspicion to you because you can't hide it in your clothes.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:11:13 am »

Hmmm, I avoided doing stuff in front of people but some conservative mathematician encounter started shrieking (I'm not sure how, I wasn't really paying attention). I guess I missed the "suspicious" message and didn't run away soon enough.
Ah, I'll try that new version then.
Heh, this has a lot of new features. I rerolled name until I became Liberal Crime Vigilante, Phil McPhail! :P

Oh, I'll try out you guys' tips for being super sneaky and see if that improves things - thanks!

Ninja'd-edit:
Hmmm, okay. Thanks for the info!

EDIT:
Haha. "Gadzooks! Something must be done!"
"ORLY?" "YARLY!!!!!!"
"The flag is stupid." "Dear me! Is there anything we can do?"
"Oh my science!"

EDIT2:
How do I get juice and money more quickly? My main guy has been raiding apartments for days, and he only gets a few bucks worth of pictures and macaroni art every shot, not $8000. Also, my entire troop has not been making much money... it's around 7 people asking for donations.

EDIT3: Oh man the downtown apartments have way better loot. I'm gonna be so rich. Thanks, guys!

EDIT4(WHO IS THIS POST-EDITING MADMAN?!): I have $1279, 9 recruits, a guitar, a spraypaint, 3 crowbars, 10 molotov cocktails, and a shotgun with 41 shells for it total. However, I have one very good guy and the rest are basically raw recruits. Can I go around blowing stuff up now?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:19:52 am by Cheddarius »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 01:32:04 am »

Loosing is fun!

I recommend that you make a copy of your save file then go on a violent rampage to get a feel for the conservative response.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 06:24:56 am »

If you have no problems with cheating a lot, you can skip copying your saves and simply close the game the instant it gives you the message that you died, before you reflect on your conservative ineptitude. You should then be able to open the game and continue playing at the start of the day you died on.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:29:38 pm »

Ah, thanks mainiac and Cheeetar.
Er, is it... against forum "rules" (not actual rules, but social rules) or tradition or such to make threads like this? I get the feeling I shouldn't be making new threads just for me, but I also see some other ones, and I couldn't really find any general tip threads...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5