Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Tips on playing  (Read 13299 times)

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on playing
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 01:10:14 pm »

Well first question first:

Sleeper police and firemen and CEOs have a chance to warn when they are going to raid.
Sleeper judges have a chance to preside over your trial.
Sleeper lawyers will sometimes offer to defend you(using their law skill).
getting a sleeper CCS member(Hicks, Yokels, Soldiers, those sort of people) will tell you the location of their safehouse.
I'm not 100% sure of the rest, I'll look at the code later, the wiki is out of date.

Also with most sleepers in influenctial positions they can steal scandalous material for you to publish when told to.

I don't know of anyway to change heart and wisdom other then leveling up.

Heat I don't know much about, and you can't bring equipment with you (good idea for a new feature though).

And as for the bug, its hard to tell what's causing it, the error message is quite general. The best thing to do is to upload your save game so that Fox can check what's causing it himself.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 02:09:28 pm »

Okay - related note, I tortured some hicks to get the CCS location, but they are ludicrously strong (I let them grow for too long while I buffed myself up). I can hardly get past the doorway without a casualty unless I'm lucky - my gunners are only level 3/4 rifle at best. How can I train up, or how can I defeat them anyway? Whenever I go to kill people for training, I usually get tailed by police or whatnot and die. Also, I have massive liberalism - All 4 important people (president, etc.) are liberals, all supreme court are liberals, and no conservatives on the House or Senate (majority are L+). Can I win even though the CCS is raiding my homeless shelter and killing my sleepers? (Weird, I thought I was safe because nobody was in there, but apparently not.)

Ah, er, I wouldn't presume that he'd pore through someone's save file just to find a bug limited solely to that one person. And also possibly caused by something that said person wasn't supposed to do in the first place. But just in case, the file is here.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »

Yeah, I had a quick go at playing your save and it didn't crash.

As for the CCS, they are very hard for a newer squad, 4-5 rifle and low stats won't get you far. Even once you are inside you have to kill alot of CCS (I think 10 - 15) before winning.

As for training your guys, do hit and run style tactics, Run in, kill one or two people and run out. It takes a bit of time for the police to respond, so just dash in and kill a group.

Also look at maybe training in swords, I don't know if its just me, but a decent squad of sword carrying people does alot more damage.

And one final note, based on what I saw in your save-game. If you have only a few well trained minions, get them to teach their skills, it costs a fair amount but its zero danger. The only issue is that getting your teaching skill up takes awhile. Of course once you do this you just get them to teach the teaching skill to others. The only issue here might be low stats due to juice, just do a few hit and runs and it will go up quickly.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 03:40:13 pm »

Hmmm, it crashes when this one group goes out to do stuff, but they're all dead now... so it's fixed? But this one guy, Rex, crashed the game whenever I set his squad to go forth. Now he doesn't, so that's weird... I dunno.

Where do I hit and run - that is, where can I find weaklings that are easy to train up on but not somewhere where the CCS will follow me when I run away?

Additionally, where can I get swords?

EDIT: Okay, I just tried it again, and moving the White Ops squad seems to crash the game consistently.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:30:31 pm by Cheddarius »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 03:47:44 pm »

great way to train rifle, go to the genetics lab, and kill the mutants. Great way to grind, without murder, except on L+ where it is murder.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 04:16:30 pm »

Swords are in the Oubliette. 250 each.

I generally use the latte bar, since you are given a turn to run away the first time before they attack you can find some weaklings, I would imagine that a few of the conservatives in the juice bar are good, as well as teenagers in the crackhouses.

The CCS won't follow if you are quick and the exit at the latte stand is fairly close, the only problem is that anyone can be at the stand, so make sure you pick your target carefully. Test it out with a few hippies first.

And always,always,always stay close to the exit if there's any chance of encountering resistance.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 04:22:21 pm »

Here are a few things to note. The Club Security at the Gentlemen's club usually only carry pistols, and are easy to take out with a squad and run without getting anyone in your party killed, and are a good way to train weapon skills.

Dodge is the most important skill after your weapon skill, but it is only trained by experience. Following that, stealth, in order to make timely escapes without getting shot up.

Martial Arts and Melee weapons are underused despite their power, which isn't obvious. You never have to reload a sword, and they cause dismemberments at high skill. You don't have to reload your fists either. At higher skill, you have a chance to hit four times per attack, with damage modified by strength. The skill only depends on agility for skill progression purposes. A good martial artist can kill or disable an enemy in a single attack if it's lucky.

My favorite is swords. Get one liberal leveled up in it, and have it train the rest. It's expensive, but worth it. Don't bother with clubs unless your intention is kidnapping, as they just aren't quite as deadly.
!!&!!

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 04:42:23 pm »

i agree swords are arguably the most powerful weapon in the game(if used with skill).

also kidnapping programmers provide reletivly easy phyc skill and a easy scorce of income.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 11:20:24 pm »

Hmmm, yeah. Thanks for the tips, guys!
Is mithril mail truly the most effective armor in the game?
Would you recommend swords or fists?
How can I effectively train dodge without risking getting shot up too much?
How do I convert more quickly? I have two psych-10 torturists, and one beats/starves/etc. the prisoner, and then the other takes over and becomes friends - but my best time is one day after the kidnapping is reported... how can I speed this up?
I have my top swordsman at ~4.5 skill, and it's been tough leveling him - after two or three kills, I have to run or I'll be tailed by the police (especially in the club for some reason). And teaching swords is way expensive. Is there some way to kill 10 or so targets in one run to level it faster? (The genetics lab is difficult; I inevitably run into lab techs who sound the alarm and cause SWATS to come in before I can get any good killing)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:20 am »

Is mithril mail truly the most effective armor in the game?
Useless.  Get ArmyBodyArmor or, even better, HeavyBodyArmor if you can find it.
How can I effectively train dodge without risking getting shot up too much?
You don't, really.  Get an agent if you really want dodge.
How do I convert more quickly? I have two psych-10 torturists, and one beats/starves/etc. the prisoner, and then the other takes over and becomes friends - but my best time is one day after the kidnapping is reported... how can I speed this up?
I've always found not torturing works better, for some reason.
I have my top swordsman at ~4.5 skill, and it's been tough leveling him - after two or three kills, I have to run or I'll be tailed by the police (especially in the club for some reason). And teaching swords is way expensive. Is there some way to kill 10 or so targets in one run to level it faster? (The genetics lab is difficult; I inevitably run into lab techs who sound the alarm and cause SWATS to come in before I can get any good killing)
You could try a crackhouse or something like that and just killing a few people at the entrance.  This has a higher possibility of causing a rampage, however, and gang members can be dangerous.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 01:39:25 pm »

gang members are often the best fighting fodder as there often L with have guns and skills (you can get free aks of them) but may have the law on there back.

dont use mithril mail make you own armor or use looted ones.

you can train dodge by geting a fist fights but try not kill them and wave good bye to your teeth.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 02:05:08 pm »

Ack! The wiki page lied to me. Anyway, I've raided the police station and gotten some police body armor - where can I find soldiers and CCS bosses to get better armor?
Where can I find agents?
Hmmm, yeah! I've tried not torturing and I've been able to convert tons of guys - thanks!
Most the gang members I can find are liberal; where can I find a decent den of conservative scum gangs?
Because my swordsmen are better now (my best has level 12 sword), I've had some success just rampaging around and running away, then killing the police that tail me. They provide a good challenge.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 02:13:19 pm »

you can A)hunt down some soldiers in the poorer areas
B)fight of the cops so thay send the army in.

CCS bosses trun up in raids.

agents at the CIAs base.
note that it is out of town so get a car.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 03:58:15 pm »

Agents are tough though, Remember that they are one of the best people in the game, the intelligence agency is swarming with them so be careful.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 04:28:36 pm »

Er, I'm trying to recruit an agent, not kill one; should I dress up my seduction team in black suits and then drive to the intelligence agency, then seduct one and kidnap him/her?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5