Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Answered] Are savegames done in 40d16?  (Read 1062 times)

jippen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Answered] Are savegames done in 40d16?
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:52:17 pm »

I recall toady mentioning that the new release would be breaking savegames with older versions. Have the breaking changes been completed? Will I have any problems playing forts from 40d16 until the full release?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:22:13 pm by jippen »
I have half a mind to accuse OP of being a troll. The guy have 1 post, and... *sigh*
Alright there's newbies out there.... But... Still....

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Are savegames done in 40d16?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:55:51 pm »

WHAT.

.40d# releases are in no way, savegame-wise, different from .40d

Only the manner in which DF is displayed has been changed.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:03 pm »

You will not be able to play games started in 40d16 with the upcoming release (the one being worked on in the devlog).

However, saves from 40d and the entire 40d# series are backwards- and forwards-compatible with any other of those versions.

Had a hard time understanding what you were asking, but one of those will probably answer it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:58:05 pm »

Long story short, when the new version comes out you will have to start a new game no matter what.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:36:42 pm »

I have half a mind to accuse OP of being a troll. The guy have 1 post, and... *sigh*
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:45 pm »

I have half a mind to accuse OP of being a troll.

I don't think you read very carefully then.  He said "Will I have any problems playing forts from 40d16 until the full release?"  Not AFTER the full release.  Arguably the up-to-and-including/excluding thing is ambiguous, but benefit of the doubt, please.

And the answer is no, you won't have any problems, and apologies for the spittle-flecked greeting you received here.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:41:49 pm by Footkerchief »

jippen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:11:51 pm »

No problem, I do realize I worded my entry a bit poorly. My concern was, in fact, this post from toady: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24492.0

Explicitly the line "I wanted to get those out before I'm forced to break save compatibility for the next version"

And my goal is to know weather or not I will be able to use a savegame from today, in the most recent test release, in 6 months, with whatever release is current then. (disregarding how tricky it is trying to keep a fort running for 6 months)

And I am no troll, but I am a bit new here. :P

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:14:51 pm »

And my goal is to know weather or not I will be able to use a savegame from today, in the most recent test release, in 6 months, with whatever release is current then. (disregarding how tricky it is trying to keep a fort running for 6 months)

No.  The new release, which is coming in a month or so, will break save compatibility.  All worlds/saves that exist right now won't work in that version.

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »

[Edit] Not as fast as Footkerchief. Oh well. :)

Welcome to the forums!

jippen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait (im)patiently for the next release, and plot out fortress designs in the meantime.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:59 pm »

The upcoming version doesn't break save compatability because of the 40d# stuff, but because Toady is overhauling the materials and wounding systems. When the stuff from the Future of the Fortress topic is released, you'll need to gen a new world to play it.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Answered] Are savegames done in 40d16?
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:39:20 pm »

Anyone know what are Toady plans concerning save compatibility after the incoming release? Will saved games stay compatible for really loong time, or can compatibility be broken again several months later?
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:54:53 pm »

Anyone know what are Toady plans concerning save compatibility after the incoming release? Will saved games stay compatible for really loong time, or can compatibility be broken again several months later?

They should stay compatible for a reasonably long time.  One of the goals for this release was to make as many as possible of the necessary compatibility-breaking changes, which is one of the reasons it's taking so long.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 09:37:21 pm »

I have half a mind to accuse OP of being a troll.

I don't think you read very carefully then.  He said "Will I have any problems playing forts from 40d16 until the full release?"  Not AFTER the full release.  Arguably the up-to-and-including/excluding thing is ambiguous, but benefit of the doubt, please.

And the answer is no, you won't have any problems, and apologies for the spittle-flecked greeting you received here.
Ah yes, you're right, I misunderstood the question.
My apologies, I've been very tired today..
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.