Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raw editors  (Read 829 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Raw editors
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »

Working on a material editor in VB as a quickie project.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It can currently only load colors from a file, with no saving capability, and buggily load material templates from a file (what I'm working on now). I'm trying to get it done for the new release, but I'm making no promises, especially since I don't know how much the raws have changed from the last look we've gotten at them. So this is mostly just here for discussion.

Really, with how complicated the new raws are looking, a full-blown suite with tag parameter completion using raws loaded into a central database wouldn't be too overkill, and it's something I'd like to take a stab at. Actually, it's an idea I've had since long before this version was started - I knew there would come a day when editing raw files by hand would become unmanageable. Unfortunately with DF coming out very shortly my attention span will go back to la-la land ;D and then I have school to contend with, so this is likely it from me.

Is anyone else planning on making editors for DF? I know there was one that looks a lot better/more like what I wanted to do before I just decided to make a material editor (DF RAW EDITOR by Ragnarok700), but I have no clue if he has plans on updating for the new version, or if he's still active. Is there interest for perhaps an extension to Eclipse or another IDE to allow for code completion of raw entries and such?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raw editors
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

Not having seen the new raws (i found this post while searching for a link to the new raws) I'm considering working on a raw editor that is all datagridviews and configured from config files such that if the raw files changed and i was no longer around to maintain the program knowledgeable users could edit the config files and redistribute them.

My only motivation for doing such a thing, however is based on the (to my knowledge) lack of a tool I can use myself.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:22:48 pm »

Examples of the new raws can be found here.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:36:24 am »

Not having seen the new raws (i found this post while searching for a link to the new raws) I'm considering working on a raw editor that is all datagridviews and configured from config files such that if the raw files changed and i was no longer around to maintain the program knowledgeable users could edit the config files and redistribute them.

My only motivation for doing such a thing, however is based on the (to my knowledge) lack of a tool I can use myself.
I've been thinking about almost exactly this - how tag definitions in a text file can be written to allow for more dynamic editing. Some tags accept only a few values for a parameter, some accept other object names along with a few non-object names. Some tags have parameters that might not appear at all in a file, but which are still important for that tag to retain functionality. I've been hardcoding everything in MatEdit, which is easier right now but writing parsers for new raw files would increase the workload, not to mention that materials are by comparison very simple (no references to other objects besides colors).

It'd be tough to make a universal definition format that's also human readable, which can be read in and used any time down the line with the same program, but I think it'd be worth the work, just to have such a cool editor backing up modders ;D

Spoiler: My attempt at the thing using OOP metaphor, which looks like a mess and would need more thought put into it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:59:14 am »

Looking at those raws... I am awed. A program to manage tags and values would be so nice, because manual modding will become a chore! I'm probably going to have to print off pages of tags and add notes, just so I know what's going on...

This will be fun! ^_^
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.