Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orderly cat..  (Read 2135 times)

sono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orderly cat..
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:05:23 am »

I swear i just saw a cat pick up an earlier kill and neatly dispose of it on the refuse.
Discuss.

=p

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Orderly cat..
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:25:26 am »

They do that. And they will drop their kills at the feet of their owners too, which can lead to nice miasma madness when you don't have enough trashdwarves.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

sono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:32:20 am »

How cute! =3

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:46:37 am »

Dropping them off at the feet of their master is the main reason why every workstation I have is in it's own room, with a door.  If some cat drops off a cockroach at my legendary craftsdwarves feet, I find it's easier to just move him to a different craftsdwarf workshop then hope one of my idiot haulers figures out that a cockroach corpse is higher priority than clearing stone marked for dumping.  The door contains the miasma, and I lock it to keep haulers from going in and getting the crafts.  I unlock it when I realize it's been 3 years and they're still sitting there, unclaimed...

Of course, sometimes the dwarf is eating when the cat drops it off, then everyone gets disgusted by miasma.  Fortunately, dwarves spend most of their time sleeping or working, so the 'contain miasma with fort design' method works great.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:49:28 am »

Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:42:15 pm »

The cats in my forts seem to LOVE raiding the food stockpile whenever it fills up with vermin. On one hand this is very useful for protecting the food, on the other hand it leaves a bunch of rotten remains stinking up the food stockpile.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:14:10 am »

I find it's easier to just move him to a different craftsdwarf workshop then hope one of my idiot haulers figures out that a cockroach corpse is higher priority than clearing stone marked for dumping.  The door contains the miasma, and I lock it to keep haulers from going in and getting the crafts./quote]Wouldn't it just be easier to just make the doors pet unpassable?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:41:19 am »

I find it's easier to just move him to a different craftsdwarf workshop then hope one of my idiot haulers figures out that a cockroach corpse is higher priority than clearing stone marked for dumping.  The door contains the miasma, and I lock it to keep haulers from going in and getting the crafts.
Wouldn't it just be easier to just make the doors pet unpassable?

Nope. They follow dwarves through regardless.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:05:36 am »

Heh well, real cats do that too. Mine once spend a night killing 5 mice, and depositing them on the carpet. Damn nasty look in the morning, carpet full of corses.

I usualy dont much care for miasma in DF though, I find it much easier to just add another *<<*Native platinum statue*>>* than to have the half dozen mostly idle hauler dwaves it takes to clean it all up.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:12:31 am »

I just have to manually dump-tag remains, because otherwise dwarves go wandering 'cross hill and dale to the chasm to stockpile whatever the tree-dwelling cave spiders kill.

Luckily, the goblins took care of one cat for me.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:16 am »

The only time I ever noticed cats dropping vermin at their owners' feet is before I edited body_default.txt to fix the "too injured" warnings - after making that fix, cats catch vermin, bring them to their owner, then immediately carry the vermin to a refuse stockpile (if one exists).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:23:28 am »

Since cats bring kills to their owners because they have deemed them unable to catch prey, do cats who are pets to Hunters do the same thing regardless of the twelve elephants the guy/girl just shot dead?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 11:53:48 am »

That's nothing. I have a bear that scolds you whenever you make an open fire.

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 04:39:10 pm »

My cat kept picking dwarf chunks from fallen dwarves after a goblin siege and dropped them at my dwarves' feet. How that didn't cause a tantrum spiral beats me.
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:02:08 pm »

My dwarves always clean up messes with relative speed. Then again, I don't use dumping for much, and it seems to be considered super-high priority (that's what you get for abusing the quantum stockpiles, hehe).
Pages: [1] 2