Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

temporary 'work save' to prevent corruption on unexpec

(1/1)

Lord Nightmare:
I propose creating a temporary 'work save' when a savegame is loaded.
This would be an exact copy of the currently loaded savegame file, and would be modified exactly as a savegame currently is, to reflect current item state, etc.
This way, if the game crashes or is ctrl-alt-deleted or the computer bluescreens (maybe because you tried to hibernate it while DF was running), the temporary savegame will be trashed but the original save it was based on will still be intact, and can be reloaded later. This way you don't have to manually back up your savegames before each run of DF, in case of crashes or ingame disaster which requires ctrl-alt-del.
This probably will require some modification, mostly to the loader code (to make it copy all the files elsewhere, which may take a few minutes to complete depending on game size), and make the game delete any leftover temporary files it finds when started up the next time after a crash, and also delete files and save on top of the original savegame when successfully saving.
LN[ October 10, 2007: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

Toady One:
I also did this one a while ago.  It seems all your savegame dreams are coming true.

Lord Nightmare:
yup, seems like it. I'm getting more and more eager for the new version :PLN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version