Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Tree replantation

(1/2) > >>

metamor:
Howdy. I had an idea to expand plant gatherers into "planters," with tree replantation as a secondary function.This could work out like this: either woodcutters or lumber zone designations could be set to 'preserve branches', which would later be used by "planters" in attempt to reforest the region.Each tree in such zone would have a low basic chance of generating a healthy, replantable branch. This chance would rise as the woodcutters gain in skill, culminating at maybe two replantable branches/tree at Legendary.Then the "planter" would attempt to make use of the branch and set the growth process in motion. The actual process would take several seasons to produce a mature tree. Again the chance of success would be proportional to planter skill, with botched replants withering within a season.Because of the delay between planting and full regrowth, this feature wouldn't disrupt the current balancing- it would only give a chance to sustain the resource in the long term. Woodcutters would still need to expand into more dangerous territories to satisfy short-term demand.I don't know if this was brought up before, but my searches didn't turn up any results. I think some players might see this as a viable alternative to the future log trade options, or even as a pivotal part of their playing style. It could also be used to colour negotiations with the elves into something less one-sided.Well, let me know what you think of this. Thanks.

Paul:
Trees outside will automatically grow, or you can make underground forests that grow towercaps. It takes years for them to mature, but if you get big rooms you can have a pretty consistent large crop of trees year after year. You have to make them west of the cave river or within a certain distance east of the cave river, however.I usually just make them seasonal flood forests. You can even make them fully enclosed by having all the walls against the river made into fortifications instead of dug out, this prevents people being washed out and monsters from invading them. To do this you have to either dig 1 tile down one side of the river or use some other method to see the river tiles (to avoid digging them out). Or you could build an area on both sides of the river and bridge off the river area all along it with a safety bridge at the bottom (drawbridge that raises northward and blocks off the river area below the rest of your bridges). It might be nice if they had a way to gather "tower cap spawn" and have an option to plant it on any wet cave tile, so you could actually plan a forest (and even get one deeper in the mountain than the river by using floodgates) but it isn't really necessary, given the above.[ March 10, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

schnobs:
I also think it's not necessary. Besides, forestry is a 19th-century invention and arguably too modern to fit.The sprouting of outdoor saplings appears to depend on the density of "other" vegetation, but inside it's always rather much; increasing the density of towercaps would make them look like tree plantations.IMO, the main problem is that growing trees takes forever when compared to the typical immigration rate. Even if you try not to accumulate wealth, the population will easily reach 100, 150 dwarves by the time you have a reliable supply of homegrown timber. Besides, the huge excavation alone counts as considerable wealth. Even if you could plant trees outside (and hence don't need to dig) this would gain you one year – not much of a difference, really. If you want a ecologically correct fortress with sustained forestry, you need to control your population.  Which, as of now, means murdering immigrants.

Poil:
quote:Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>I also think it's not necessary. Besides, forestry is a 19th-century invention and arguably too modern to fit.</STRONG>Wrong. People have been planting trees so they can cut them down later for a long time.But personly I'd like to see the elves lending you are druid to plant trees/speed up growing or something when they like you a lot. Even if at first it might not seem fitting for an elf to help causing trees to be cut down it would help to preserve the outdoor trees. Maybe the elves would forbid you completly from cutting outdoor trees once the druid is visiting. Elf nobles at your fort, what's not to like?[ March 11, 2007: Message edited by: Poil ]

Chthon:
I always pictured Tower Caps to be tall, thick, sturdy mushrooms that were almost wood like myself.  I can't see how a real tree would grow indoors without light from the sun.  I doubt that elves really care about them  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version