Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which kind of graphics do you use ?

Extended ASCII (Original)
Tilesets (Mayday DFG for instance)
Other (Custom ASCII tiles, etc.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Graphics : The duel.  (Read 15779 times)

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics : The duel.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »

Count me in as an avid player of DF (for years) who has, from day two pretty much, switched to using Mike Mayday style square graphics/tilesets.

Recently I have delved into the stonesense stuff too, the only thing stopping me from using it more is it being Windows only. Stonesense just looks so cute it's hard to pass up.

The graphics don't help me "understand" the game. They never did; I can switch back to ascii only and play the game perfectly fine. They just make me happy, and more satisfied when I build a megaproject and it doesn't look like squished crap.
火族

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:53 pm »

I prefer ASCII, but I use pixel-type creature graphics for anything important.

Goblins -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orcs -

There are similar base graphics for humans, elves and kobolds. I think it's a nice compromise, as it doesn't force you to try to pixel-hunt for information like professions.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 08:28:54 pm »

ASCII all the way for me.  But I like Nethack and such.  (Off-topic here, but why does everyone call DF a rogue-like.  It is NOT a rogue-like.)

Once you understand it, it's much more enjoyable.  I remember the first time I stepped into the castle and Fort Ludios and had telepathy or detect monsters.  It's one of the great experiences of gaming.  I wish I hadn't been save scumming at the time.

If I were pressed to explain it, I'd say it's better because you're forced to use your imagination.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 08:59:01 pm »

Goblins -

Orcs -

There are similar base graphics for humans, elves and kobolds. I think it's a nice compromise, as it doesn't force you to try to pixel-hunt for information like professions.
I've been looking for something like that :o
Which "tileset" is that?
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 09:59:07 pm »

I use the vanilla graphics.

and horrible UI.

Why do so many people here seem to hate the UI? I don't mind it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 10:10:00 pm »

I use the original ascii.  Started out using another one... I think it was Mayday's.

I luffs the way the menus are set up.  It's so logical and stuffs.
If I was a game maker, I would set them up the same way. ^___^

...content > graphics...
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 10:10:27 pm »

It's clunky and can be improved for sure, and requires some patience to figure out it's quirks- but I'd stop way short of calling it horrible.

That's a whole other can of worms and opinions.

EDIT: I'm not going to be a certain other poster and just make a statement without my reasoning.

So I suppose for starters:
There's inconsistencies like enter, space, and F9 all used for "finishing" a screen and moving on.
Certain things "make sense" like "b"uild "w"orkshops while other things like forges are off in their own little world
Sometimes you use +- to scroll, other times you use up/down arrows, other times you use [] or some derivative of it, second scroll confuses a lot of newbies who have to figure out key bindings and when to use them.
o: set orders and options + esc: options = 'wat?' for newbies
lack of mouse support on almost everything
Trying to teach people DF I hear a lot more, but those are some basics.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:24:47 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 10:15:57 pm »

I use the vanilla graphics.

and horrible UI.

Same here.

And me neither, the UI certainly is hard to get used to, at first, but with the help of the wiki and a few friends, it got much easier and in a week I had mastered it. I'd say its fairly decent and quite far from being horrible. A tutorial would help new players alot though.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 10:21:01 pm »

I use and enjoy the original ASCII, but I don't mind graphic creature tilesets either.  I'd never go with a full conversion like Mayday's pack because it messes up the text in menus and dialogues, plus I don't like the look of any of them that I've seen, but once full graphics support is in someday I'll probably start looking for a tileset more in earnest.  I use so many custom creatures, however, that it'd be a bit of a hassle.  'Course, I've made a few tilesets of my own, though they didn't look very good so I trashed them afterwards.  Sooner or later I'll do some that hopefully are a bit better.

My main issue with DF's presentation is the way the window sizes, which I presume is better in the 40d# versions but I've never used one.  Fiddling to make all the resolutions right frustrated me because, perhaps because of a math error on my part, I never managed to find a resolution that actually fit properly on my widescreen monitor.  Plus I could never figure out how to make it just show more tiles on the screen, rather than making the tiles bigger, but that's probably my own impatience shining through.

The UI in Fortress mode doesn't bother me.  Other than it being awkward to remap if you're using a laptop keyboard, because of the inconsistent scroll-keys (sometimes the arrow keys scroll both columns, sometimes the numpad scrolls the second column...!), I haven't had any particular problem with it. 

Adventure mode drove me a little bit nuts because of the lack of any indication of what menu options there even are (I didn't know you could choose what wrestling moves to do until I just happened to read someone mentioning a "spacebar menu" on the forums, totally at random.)
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 10:37:22 pm »

I've been looking for something like that :o
Which "tileset" is that?

It's one I made myself, for 9x9 tilesets.

I'll upload a .zip folder to DFFD once the new version breaks, after I figure out how to assign different graphics to male and female dwarves for beard dimorphism.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »

Well, i tend to use a mix. I've currently got the old (version 12 maybe) mayday set, i really can't stand the newer additions to it (the rocks changing to what used to be boulders, didn't like that especially). I've also got the native ASCII tileset, but squared, running on another install of DF and i like it quite a bit.
Magma is overrated.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 11:20:39 pm »

Mayday all the way. While graphics aren't the most important thing in a game, I like being able to tell at a quick glance what's going on and there's no way I'd bother with this game if there wasn't the graphics set options. What can I say? My 'minimum graphics threshold" is at original gameboy era graphics; any lower than that and I'll pass.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 12:03:02 am »

Mayday all the way. While graphics aren't the most important thing in a game, I like being able to tell at a quick glance what's going on and there's no way I'd bother with this game if there wasn't the graphics set options. What can I say? My 'minimum graphics threshold" is at original gameboy era graphics; any lower than that and I'll pass.

Same here, I like being able to tell what creatures are hiding in the chasm or whats attacking your fortress by simply looking at it.

If there would not be a way to add tilesets I think I would never even have tried this game (first thing I did was look for the tile-set).

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 12:16:33 am »

Goblins -

Orcs -

Oh, I like that.  Sorta like giving the other races their own happy face/Dwarf head.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 12:17:51 am »

I use the Mayday graphics set. My comprehension is much faster using it, and it just looks purdier without sacrificing any gameplay.  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10