Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which kind of graphics do you use ?

Extended ASCII (Original)
Tilesets (Mayday DFG for instance)
Other (Custom ASCII tiles, etc.)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Graphics : The duel.  (Read 15781 times)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics : The duel.
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 12:19:52 am »

People who say text is messed up with Mayday's, or they can't tell what a creature is by looking at it with Mayday's, must not have used a recent version of Mayday's. I use Mayday's and have neither of these problems.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:29 am »

I use DFG19 (mayday) modified by somebody (I forget who, sorry) then modified slightly by me. I find it much easier to look at because each symbol has 'shading' applied to it so it's not just 16 on the screen at any given time. It's just easier on my eyes. (Oh, and transparency, hlps make it more colorful as well =p ) Besides, I always did like how sprites looked.

I tried the ASCII for a while but after using the graphics set I don't want to go back. (I suppose it would be akin to filming a movie in black and white but you could be filming in color. Some people just like black and white movies...)

As for the people I have shown DF to, I have always sent them a little screenshot of the fortress I'm playing at the time, and when they go to download/play the game the first thing they ask me is how I got the game to look so nice. So, I link them to DFG and they seem much happier with it =)

People who say text is messed up with Mayday's [...] must not have used a recent version of Mayday's. I use Mayday's and have neither of these problems.

I think the problem they're referring to with the text is because it's a square set instead of a rectangle set there's always an odd gap between each of the characters... I've gotten used to it though. As for not knowing what creatures are, I'd have to say that the opposite is true. I find it easier to associate a sprite that looks like a fire imp with a fire imp better than an 'i' walking around.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 12:46:59 am »

I need DFG for my dwarves and walls or I get sore eyes. Modded in creatures are always letters. I dont understand the colour code for professions either.
Meh.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 05:08:44 am »

My dream is this:

the classic ascii remains as one of two tabs running simultaneously, with the other being properly rendered 3d modelling (yes, the operative word is 'dream', but who knows). In regards to vision, I think aswd, or arrow keys should control x, y axis movement, mouse the direction of your view, however as per normal, z-levels should be stuck with when it comes to what is currently exposed. so, if you are outside, you might well see a whole lot, but whatever z level you are currently locked into is where it will cut away a mountain side, show the contents. There could also be a key to conceal what is underground, and just show the surface.

EDIT: On second thoughts, or, more specifically, I think Toady should focus all energy into the game itself, and, sparing the GUI, leave the visualisation pretty much as is. However, he should then work support into the system for plug in visualisation, which would appear in the second tab.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:18:18 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 05:56:22 am »

It should be noted that DF is one of the best application of ASCII "graphics". Look at NetHack for instance, there's less details on screen... DF uses varied ground tiles, and an extended ASCII set that allow for more characters (the tree actually look like trees for instance).

I use ASCII, because I think pixel graphics are too tiny to be easily read. ASCII is more straightforward : each letter or symbol refer to a creature (or item), and each color has a meaning. Sure, there's some exception (Elephant VS Elf wrestler, among other), but otherwise it's neat and clean.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 08:16:39 am »

I will admit minor weakness in terms of needing at least SOME sort of graphics, so I use the Mayday pack.

But that's all the graphics I need. It's enough to satisfy the small amount of demand for shininess I have. While I certainly wouldn't be against an even shinier graphics set--say, if Stonesense could be used to play in real time--I don't need it and could easily do without it.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:07 am »

IMO Toady should definitely continue as he is on content over graphics, but I love using the user-developed graphics sets.  Mayday on one monitor, Stonesense on the other.
The new Stonesense release now has depth fogging:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I wouldn't really like to use Stonesense as the main game interface, top view is much easier for designating etc.  But it's great using it as a real-time visualizer.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:40:20 am by Khalan »

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 09:08:48 am »

I prefer graphics to ASCII. I can work with the latter, but it just isn't visually appealing to me. When there are preferable alternatives on offer, why would I stick with something I enjoy less? I do also find graphics easier to work with, I can see much more information, much more easily. I'm sure if I played more ASCII I would learn everything, but again, why do that when I have an alternative which works better for me?

And it looks like FFI or something, which is cute.
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 10:44:37 am »

I use Mayday's, but I gen all of the maps in a copy of vanilla, because apparently his pre-install has the economic stones mod and turns all the flux (especially marble) around volcanos and magma pipes into obsidian.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 10:53:37 am »

I use a custom ASCII tileset, that is square.

I do not require any graphics beyond this... (nor do I even require it square, but prefer it that way.)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 11:09:55 am »

Stonesense is probably the only graphics pack I may use, and even then mostly only as a real time visualizer for my contructions. DF's ASCII is pretty well implemented, gosh, the walls look like walls! Plus now, with the random creatures, graphics will be even more limited, so I don't think I'll be switching to graphics anytime soon.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:47 am »

I use the out-of-the-zipped-folder kind of pseudo-ASCII.

keith.lamothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 11:24:41 am »

Mayday.  My first serious gaming was FFI on the NES, and it's kinda in that tier of things.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 11:44:18 am »

Mayday's. Read my sig. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 11:50:35 am »

Well I think the ASCII has a certain charm, and I got used to reading it fairly quickly, but when the same symbol is used for Goats, Groundhogs and Goblins, Hippos and Horses cannot be easily distinguished without tabbing over them, and Minotaurs, Mudmen and Mules are all a brown "M", I daresay there are issues that need to be addressed. 

At the very least, I would say that creatures need their own tiles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10