Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Akmamathel: The Glacier of Souls

(1/2) > >>

MrWiggles:
Two hundred forty souls were lost in Akmanathel.

The baron extended about all his wealth to claim this spot on the far away mountain. The first seven and the 23 that followed them soon after all died of thirst when the initial booze stock ran dry. The first reclaim attempt, with seventy brave dwarfs were harassed by the awaken horrors of the chasm, causing several deaths and the frozen memories of those before drove them mad.

The baron pleaded with the King, he knew for certain that there was adamentine in that site, the most precious metal. Nother seventy were sent soon afterwards, from what records we could recover, they managed to get the glacier to partially melt and fill a cistern then irrigated a farm aware, but the vile monsters and hundred that came before weighed heavily on them, and seeing the corpse line the halls, blood of forlorn attempts staining the stairs, it drove them mad faster then the group before.

The Baron persuaded two dukes to offer the financing for nother reclaim attempt of the site, without the kings knowing, with temptations of adamentine. They saw the place soon after a winter storm, supplies were strewn through the area and the records for this shadow reclaim were not kept, we do not know what happen to them, except for a message on the entrance Krackatoen.

The King learned about the third attempt, and through the baron, and two dukes into the stockade for their wanton waste of dwarven life.

He dispatched a one group of heavily armed dwarfs, to learn what happen to the last seventy and to recover everything they could. The arrived at the spring of the next year, when the passage was clear. The horror they say as that the batmen, antmen cave swallowman were dragging corpes to the dining hall, and devouring them. They engaged with combat, and lost several members, to injured to walk, the commanding officer made the choice to stay their until the injured were well enough to walk. Though it took less then half the spring for the madness that weeps from the walls to drive them all insane. The first to go was a an ax dwarf that grew memorize from the ember glow of the magmaduct, and dived in after his own happiness. This drove other to depraved acts.

And two hundred forty lives were lost to Akamathel: The Glacier of Souls.

My first attempt at a extreme temperature map. Four reclaims, and I am giving up on this site, and its an excellent site.

Flux, iron, Chasm, magma pipe, HFS and at least one GCS for capture for the tenacious.

Each reclaim grew insane faster then the one before it. The place doesn't seem to have any buaxite, though there is aluninite so I wouldnt be surprised is there was buaxite somewhere in their.

No trees, no plants, lots of wildlife, not just the man creatures.

Summoner:
Wow...

Kinoko_Otoko:
Post the worldgen info. I'm sure someone can claim it successfully... hehehe...

MrWiggles:

--- Quote from: Goran on July 15, 2008, 12:34:27 pm ---Share your worldgen recipes!

Here's mine:

--- Code: ---[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:MEDIUM]
[CUSTOM_NAME:The plane of Cool]
[DIM:129:129]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:250:50]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:290:305:1600:1600]
[RAINFALL:0:100:100:100]
[TEMPERATURE:10:90:100:100]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:200:200]
[VOLCANISM:100:100:0:0]
[SAVAGERY:40:100:1600:1600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:0:0:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:0:0:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:0]
[OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:50]
[RIVER_MINS:800:800]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:1]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:200]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:200]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:25]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
--- End code ---

Important stuff:
 - elevation between 290 and 305 with maximum variance to create lots of small hills
 - rainfall, temperature and drainage to create all combos of environments
 - maximum volcanism with visible magma on almost all tiles
 - high savagery for more interesting biomes
 - maximum rivers, since i have no seas it substitutes with tons of rivers and lakes through the countryside
 - lots of small caves, hopefully more megabeasts. Going over 200+200 caves seems to freeze worldgen during history generation init

Bottom line:
 - tons and tons of interesting places to build forts at since almost every square has magma and water
 - due to subregion max being 5000, this recipe cannot be used on a world larger than medium
 - worlds tend to get elfed, not sure if its seed related or due to elves being overpower in history generation algorhytms.
 - the recipe should have zero rejects and as long as you do not increase the number of caves beyond this level it should work well. I've managed to generate one version with 400+400 caves, but attempts to repeat that led to game freezing during history init.

Now share yours!

--- End quote ---

To find my site, go to the feature finder on the embark screen, search for a 5x5 low temperature with flux and other feature and magma pipe.

slink:
That information doesn't have the seed in it.  It most probably won't come out the same as yours, because of the randomly generated seed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version