Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

suggestion: interactive world generation

(1/1)

Lord Nightmare:
I would like the world generation to be a little more interactive than 'sit and wait for it to finish', since a lot of 'attempted' and rejected worlds look like they would have been really cool to play on or play with even if they didn't pass the world generator tests.so: World generator would have a mode where it displays 'world rejected: <reason>' and a 'continue anyway/abandon world and make another/stop generation altogether' dialog. probably enableable via init.txt and/or a commandline parameter.P.S. The worlds generated, even if they are not useful for DF games, may be useful for other things, like being used as the 'planet map' on a tabletop RPG. In fact, being able to manually tweak settings like world temperature, rainfall amount, etc could allow 'tuning' an already generated world seed to the user's specifications. Also an option to enable or disable the city/civilization generation, and maybe an option to tweak the amount of 'river erosion' done to mountains.
Also, when are we gonna get tectonic activity? i wanna see mountains rising up from two plates colliding, and volcanoes and earthquakes and stuff.LN

Capntastic:
Toady's hinted at some awesome things for world generation.   It'll be pulled off well, perhaps with the ability to play during the earlier ages.

AlanL:
People have wanted this for quite a while. About tectonics, I think that the world creation simulation covers millions of years, not billions. The mountains are plopped down, and doing tectonics would probably make it even more painful for people with slow PCs like me. It could be an option, I guess.[ October 11, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Capntastic:
As far as I know, the world generation already covers landmasses, temperatures, good/evil, and volcanic activity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version