Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goal-Based Dwarf Fortress  (Read 8315 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goal-Based Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

If the AI gets better (The potential Sappers for instance) staying alive will be much harder. You won't be able to lock your doors; they'll make new ones! Your trap corridor? No point, they just came in through the dining room!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

Supposedly the direction the game's going to start going in soon (possibly with the next big update) is letting you have more interaction with the outside world, send out your armies, etc. which will hopefully satisfy anyone who's not happy coming up with their own goals in the sandbox.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

Honestly, stopping sappers is gonna be pretty easy, if you have the right equipment.

Just build a 5-tile-thick wall around your fort, like this on every level:

X+..X

The + is on the outer part.  Then, flood magma down the inner wall.  Instant Sapper-Stopper, except from below.  Just flood that bit with water  :D)

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 07:16:00 am »

If invaders use sappers, I hope they will be able to use bridges. to cross moats.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

This sounded fun! So......
Added a new wiki-page!
--Game goals--
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

Just a passing idea. The dwarven king has been enthralled with these things called "ships" that the humans and elves use to travel across the oceans to trade. The problem is that those ships are made of wood, and what dwarf would feel at home in that? Stone is what the dwarves love, and so you are commanded to create the first dwarven port fortress. Multiple steps to this challenge: 1. Build the a fort with docks(or drydock). 2. Build a stone ship. 3. Pack your nobles on board for the maiden voyage. 4. Christen it with a barrel of wine. 5. Cut the gangplank and launch!

And by launch I mean sink.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

Sukasa... I am so stealing that for the next fort I do next to magma. It's not really feasible to do it in my current fort given the layout it has... unless I move to the bottom half of my map...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

thehunterunseen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »

Min goal is to build a maze type thing full of special traps for my adventurers, (with traps tured on of course)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 07:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>
-Human Allaiance: Playing as dwarves. start a game centered on a human town. Your goal is to build a wall around the town in stone, using a mine under the town. you do not get to take anything from the town, though the human guards will probably help with any sieges. Bonus Points: after finishing the wall and sealing any cracks, dig down to the aquifer again from the outside and run pumps up the wall. Flood them out of your new town!</STRONG>

I did this one, at least the beginning. For some reason my wagon started at the top of the human castle...

It was impossible to prevent the dwarves taking anything from the town since they consider anything that isn't nailed down to be their property. Build a stockpile and they'll grab everything from town of the right category and put it in...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Adder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 08:12:00 am »

Skull Fortress - carve a fortress in the shape of a giant 3D skull.

Preferred starting location: volcanic island

Starting Dwarves:
 Leader with 10 levels of personal skills, especially Liar and Intimidator
 Bodyguard with 10 levels of military skills
 5 bumbling henchdwarves with no stating skills whatsoever

Goals: Carve a giant skull-shaped fortress. Red gem windows for the eyes are a nice added touch. If you have neighboring civilizations, do you best to antagonize them. If sharks are available on the map, a shark pool with a retractable bridge is a must for disposing of prisoners and uncooperative dwarves. Secret self-destruct lever is optional.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 08:19:00 am »

While the idea is good, I dont know frankly...The next big version will offer enough challenge imho, and the game will be much more strategical from that point. Raising and managing armies, overland army movement, capturing cities etc. should be perfectly enough. Not to mention when diplomacy will kick in..
After the military / diplomacy system are in, perhaps it would be pointless to have goal-based missions. Basically your starting fortress will be the beginning only to archieve a great goal: rule the world!    :cool:
..and trust me it won't be easy!

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »

You have conquered the entirety of The Past Universes!

Some dwarves revolted!

Some humans revolted!

Some elves revolted!

Some goblins revolted!

Some super genetically enhanced smart elephants revolted!

Yeah. Not going to happen.

Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

mrshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

I really don't see why many of those ideas suggested by the OP can't be used in current fortresses.  Being offered income in exchange for services from foreigners would be a great addition, i think.  This gives another avenue for challenge, asking the player to balance income with security, efficiency, etc., instead of just having more difficult seiges and whatnot.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>It was impossible to prevent the dwarves taking anything from the town since they consider anything that isn't nailed down to be their property. Build a stockpile and they'll grab everything from town of the right category and put it in...</STRONG>

Couldn't you just [d]esignate everything in the human town as [f]orbidden?

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: 1 [2]