Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Where do you sleep?  (Read 3402 times)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do you sleep?
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:04:53 pm »

I'm curious about where (and when, and how often) you sleep.  If I'm out in the open then generally I try to sleep at night, and in amongst trees.  I figure this will make me less visible to any passing creatures... and cut down the number of times that this happens:

My last adventurer tended to need quite a lot of sleep to avoid being drowsy... typically going to sleep as soon as dusk set in, waking up for a midnight snack, and then sleeping again until after dawn.  I shall be more mindful in future to keep an eye on if this is different for different people - there may be all kinds of factors affecting the onset of tiredness that I'm not even considering though.

Sleeping in a town seems to be safer - no real benefit from sleeping in a bed as opposed to on a stone floor.  Makes me wonder how good the bedmakers are.

(if you're wondering, one of the lion's friends caught and killed the adventurer above - he'd been walking off an arm injury for days and was unable to use his shield to protect himself and it all ended very messily)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you sleep?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »

If I can't sleep in a building, I go into a thick grove of trees, sneak, and go to sleep, and hope for the best

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:21 pm »

My characters never sleep.

It just lags the game and opens me up to attack, I rather just travel to get rid of tiredness.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:10:33 pm »

Hm, I hadn't considered sneaking before bedtime.  I wonder if it makes a difference?  That may well end up becoming a part of my ritual in future, just in case.

I rather just travel to get rid of tiredness.
I'm trying to avoid that at the moment... makes for a different kind of fun managing tiredness, hunger, thirst and injuries - and I enjoy the scenery more by staying on foot all the time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:12:24 pm by pickupsticks »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:16:50 pm »

I'm trying to avoid that at the moment... makes for a different kind of fun managing tiredness, hunger, thirst and injuries - and I enjoy the scenery more by staying on foot all the time.
Right but there is no way to get those supplys at the moment. Not only that but for me adventure mod lags alot. :-X

Travel mode helps out with that.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:45:09 pm »

Well, you have a bottle for water, and you will drink stagnant water if you are thirsty enough.

Likewise, food is never an issue because you'll eat vermin if you're hungry enough, which you can find using the command. So the main problem is crossing deserts for me, and making sure I don't starve in my sleep, which has happened.

Sneaking before sleeping seems to help unless something bumps right up next to you, but I suppose that needs testing.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:11:55 am »

i set fire to trees around me THEN go to sleep.
Only those who survive are worthy of being my avatar.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:43:47 pm »

Where do I sleep?
In the beds of my dead human opponents.

titan-rex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Crazy dinospartus Rex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 06:00:21 pm »

i set fire to trees around me THEN go to sleep.
Only those who survive are worthy of being my avatar.

that my friend is a beautiful thing, any idea if your comapnions sleep swell having a few might mean some stnad guard ( or set alight depending on your methods  ;D )
[CANCELS_SOCIAL_LIFE: REASON: DWARF FORTRESS]

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:09:30 am »

Indeed. I remember, about 5 seconds into my non-travel mountain passing i ran into a Giant Eagle 50 tiles outside of the human settlement.

Needless to say, i got 0wned.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:12:06 am »

Giant eagles arent really as scary as I thought they would be.

I just kick their ass every time.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:50:27 am »

Giant eagles arent really as scary as I thought they would be.

I just kick their ass every time.
Worst part is you can attack only creatures in an adjacent tile... but it ignores Z-level, so you can attack them while they fly above you, causing them to crash in the ground.(this is the same problem that lets cap attack things out of the water)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »

in a pool of blood/vomit that i eat and drink for brakefast.
managing  hunger and thirst is just a case of killing some thing pref by cuting it to bits then take the parts of it to eat
take as much blood and vomit as you can as this is food for grim times.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 11:00:03 am »

My characters almost always find them selves in some giant elaborate cave system hunting down megabeasts to feed when they need to finally sleep. At that point I gather up all the clothes I can find (and there are normally lots of trinkets in these caves for some reason) then make my bed to fall asleep on.

Being in hell doesn't mean you can't sleep like angel.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »

[NO_SLEEP] Ftw.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker
Pages: [1] 2 3