Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Pressure plate setting [+ buttons!]

(1/2) > >>

Mechanoid:
Give pressure plates a menu, and settings.For example, the player should be able to set two weight values, one minimum and one maximum. When the total weight of objects that's on the plate reaches the amount between the min and max, the plate is triggered, allowing for interesting adventures of abandoned forts; finding a pressure plate and dragging enough stone onto it to keep it depressed.
Another setting to choose who can trigger the plate could also be useful, but i'm sure that's been suggested before.A way it could look:
code:Pressure PlateAnimals, Friends, DwarveserER: Min Weight - 250
cvCV: Max Weight - 550d: Dwarves trigger
n: Enemies trigger
f: Friends trigger
a: Animals trigger
l: Liquids trigger
A: All trigger
N: None triggerx: Remove Building
Space: DoneFrom top to bottom:
- Name
- Who is allowed to trigger (enemies always trigger, duh)
- Min weight must be = or higher then 1. Any number below this doesn't trigger the plate.
- Max weight can be set to infinity (-1) Any number above this doesn't trigger the plate.
- [X] trigger is a basic toggle to set who's allowed to trigger the plate. If an animal is allowed to trigger the plate, then any animal that fits inside the weight limit of the plate will trigger it.[Additionally, instead of names of who can/can't trigger it appearing under the name, it could be that each option changes color to show that it's turned on /off.][Another idea just hit me; BUTTONS!
Pressure plates attached to walls. They arn't triggered by someone stepping on them, but instead someone or something pressing against them, like pulling a lever. Thrown or fired objects then, could qualify as triggerers.They'd act like the above suggestion for plates, except instead of weight values, it would be a sensitivity % setting ranging from 0 to 100%
Where 0% is with the greatest ease (a kicked pebble could trigger it) and 100% is with an utmost amount of force (a big grey E rubbing it's ass against the wall to satisfy an itch)][ March 12, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Toady One:
How does max weight on a pressure plate work?  I'm not an engineer.

Mechanoid:
Simple answer: It just does.        :DLong answer: The pressure plate could be setup to look like from a side view as a capitol T. Along the pole underneath the plate (the vertical shaft of the T) is a series of holes (or just one large hole) through which a liquid can flow, and trigger an internal ball-float (like the ones in toilets) to do the triggering.However, if the pressure plate is depressed too much (from too much weight) the liquid is prevented from flowing. Obviously, all traps have to reset themselves based off of springs, since they're the only thing that can revert to their previous form; springs that are harder to compress or moving the holes in the shaft alter at which weights the plate will be triggered at.Not-so-half-assed paint image:
         1. The pressure plate (red) is depressed; the springs (green) bear the weight.
2. The shaft hole (light grey) in the shaft (dark grey) is exposed to the hole in the reservoir (dark blue)
3. Water flows from the shaft hole into the flow route (dark /light yellow) leading to the secondary reservoir (light blue) containing ball float (purple)
4. Ball float is activated, lifting upwards, triggering whatever. Excess water flows away.If the plate is depressed too much (as in, more then the springs can support) the reservoir hole will be sealed off by the shaft, instead of flooding into the shafts' hole.
[Edit - I just realised, it seems as if this liquid-based design is prone to activating when flooded. LOL!][ March 12, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Grek:
I'd like to make enemies and liquids options for what it can and cannot be set off by.

Mechanoid:
Enemies dont know where the plate is and would always trigger it... Unless you purposely paint it with a big "PRESSURE PLATE, DO NEVER STEP HERE" sign on it.I'll edit them both into the original post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version