Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Unique noble skills

(1/1)

Majestic7:
I ran a quick search on the subject, but could not find any exactly similar suggestions. Suggestions about priests and doctors are bit to the same direction, but not exactly what I have in mind. I'm sorry if I'm repeating something someone has already suggested, but... I've been thinking for month about a way to make the nobles more useful and less of a legion of whiners just to drown/burn/feed to ratmen.My suggestion is simple - give nobles skills that are specific to their "occupation". For example, Broker and Trade Minister could have some sort of "haggling" skill that affects the prices of the goods you sell and buy at the trade depot. Granted, at the moment you can buy every caravan empty with a few mugs, but I'm expecting that to change. The military order dwarves could have some sort of training skill that makes sparring with their weapon of choice much more efficient when they are instructing the soldiers, as well as lowering the chance of accidental injuries. Guilddwarves could likewise instruct members of their professions and perhaps have some sort of negotiation ability, if they could, for example, act as lawyers of their guildmembers when they face dwarven justice for not meeting production goals. I somehow see those guys as dwarven union representatives, so that would fit them fine.  The important thing about these skills would be that only the specific type of noble could have the specific type of skill, they would not be open to just any peasant. That would add some use for almost all nobles - not all of them would need to be "useful". Other important thing would be that the nobles could improve their special skills with practice. This would make, say, a Broker that has been in your fortress for years quite skillful and needed for your economy.  It would make the nobility less expendable, as losing that experienced Broker would mean getting rookie replacement for him - not to mention being without special skill of a Broker untill the new guy arrives.[ October 12, 2007: Message edited by: Majestic7 ]

Skeeblix:
The problem with this is that nobles are appointed in the next version. Any dwarf you see fit to do the job (aside from the actual noble titles like Baron, King, etc.) can be appointed to a noble position. So, having noble specific skills wouldn't work I don't think.

Majestic7:
Really? I didn't know that - but even if it is the case, the suggestion could still work. It would make the experienced nobles even more valuable, as a new guy would need to learn everything from the bottom without any ranks in the noble-specific skill at all.

ricemastah:
I believe that in the next version that is going in. Also with what I read about the personalities, that should also affect the dwarves' abilities to fulfill the nobles jobs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version