Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killing the useless dwarfs with Dragons  (Read 619 times)

QuinRiva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing the useless dwarfs with Dragons
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:31:16 am »

I have about 190 dwarfs and another 30 children/babies and my game has slowed to a snails pace of 22 FPS, so I have finally decided that I need a dwarf culling.

To do this I thought it would be amusing to put a bunch of dwarfs in a room with a caged dragon and open the cage.  Great, that worked but how do I get the Dragon back in the cage?  It is a dragon that I have tamed, but as it has tasted Dwarf blood, it is not truly tame.  I lined the exit hallway with cage traps but they don't appear to be triggering; do tame creatures not trigger traps? Is there any solution to this?

Also, whats the most efficient way of getting all your useless dwarfs into one room?  I don't want to kill off my Legendary stoneworkers, but I do want to kill off my many of dabbling cheesmakers and dyers.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Killing the useless dwarfs with Dragons
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:52:08 am »

22 FPS? Cry me a river. I didn't abandon my last fort until it was at 5 FPS for over a year.

A creature that is "tamed" after killing a dwarf is not truly tame. It will hunt Dwarf after its release, and be immune to all traps. Aside from trapping it in a room, the only thing you can do is put it down.

If you want to get a bunch of dwarves into one room, just draft them (shift+a while on the Pref screen) and station them there. This can be done by hitting x while on the main screen, moving the cursor near the dwarf, (l)ocking onto the squad, and (s)tationing him wherever you place the cursor.

Also, this should be in the "DF Gameplay Questions" subforum.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing the useless dwarfs with Dragons
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:11:37 am »

(shift+a while on the Pref screen)

How about pressing m and drafting dwarves more or less en masse? I mean, hovering over each one of them to draft them via pref screen would be a pain in the ass.

Aside from trapping it in a room, the only thing you can do is put it down.

I haven't tried this, but engineering a cave-in next to a dragon to knock it onto a cage is worth a shot; it is the usual way of trapping friendlies, but the question remains whether a dragon can be even knocked out like that.