Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet Another ADOM Thread (YAAT)  (Read 1806 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet Another ADOM Thread (YAAT)
« on: December 23, 2009, 09:16:07 pm »

The very first Roguelike I played was not Rogue, nor was it Nethack, nor was it Angband, or any of the other often silly iterations of that game.

No, no, my first Roguelike was ADOM.

It was also nearly my last, but I persevered.

Anyway, I used to run it on an Windows ME PC. I have a version on my XP Laptop (the DOS version, I think) and it is kind of error prone. I uses up a crap load of memory, then crashes. I just downloaded the beta4 windows version, and though I get a window to pop up, it sits at a black screen and does nothing else.

What can I do to get this thing running again? I wanna starve me some more characters! Obviously there is a way to make these work, since we had that bloodline game going a few months back.

Any help?

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another ADOM Thread (YAAT)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:29:54 pm »

...You're using the most recent version right?

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:47:18 pm »

1.1.1, Downloaded from Mr. Biskup's site today.

Is there a more recent version floating around out there?

*Edit*

Okay, here's some wierdness.

I re-downloaded the DOS version of the game. It looks to be the same as the (I assume) DOS version I already have on my laptop, the only difference being the lack of a folder marked adom_dat. A folder I assume is created the first time it runs.

My old copy of the game starts like I expect it to, with the same issue I was talking about earlier (crashiness). The new DOS version? Auto-kills itself about two seconds after I run the .exe. Which is freaking weird, as it should run just like the one I already have. Winbeta4 still sits and does nothing. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that the winbeta4 zip contained nothing but an executable.

Clearly, this game hates me. I remember it running just fine on the ME PC, no crash problems there.

Maybe I'll try running the one that does work in compatability mode for Win95/ME. Of course, I half expect that to break it, but you never know.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 03:04:40 am by rickvoid »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:55:40 am »

Sounds like your laptop has some problems, to me. ADOM runs flawlessly on all the computers I've owned, the likes of which cover several platforms and many different hardware makers.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 02:25:01 pm »

Could be. I don't have this trouble with other roguelikes though.

I'll experiment with it some more when I get a chance.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 12:34:19 am »

I'm not sure how much help this is (if you have windows ME on there, I'm guessing the hardware isn't brand new either?), but you could run it in DOSBox.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 01:18:13 am »

I had ME on the old desktop, my laptop runs XP.

Might try dosbox. You never know.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 01:48:55 am »

well that is odd. I've never seen an XP machine that wouldn't run the DOS version...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 02:11:19 am »

Well, with your first post my thoughts were as follow:

Wow, what a great game. I love ADoM. I wonder when he will come out with a new version; it seemed like he'd moved on with his life but didn't want to let ADoM go and certainly didn't want to open-source it for everyone to screw over like Angband... Oh, he made a new one? tight, got to go check it out! .......it won't run for you? Well, I should suggest DOSBox, as an emulator it should skip over several potential problems. Oh, everyone else is suggesting it too. Oh well.

So, in short: Great game, try DOSBox. Kill some walking trees for me, and trail around certain death while occasionally savescumming for several levels on end until it finally irrevocably catches you, just when you'd thought you lost it. Good luck!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 12:42:34 pm »

Heh, ADOM. I don't really like it.. it takes way too much patience. It's fun, sure, but there are more fun games out there. I'd say that it was a pretty damn awesome game back in the days. But now, I'm happier with DF, Dungeon Crawl, and Unreal World. ADOM's creator seems to have lost interest in it too.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 06:34:30 pm »

For me, there's no match for ADOM. I simply love it. That probably explains why I think it's awesome :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 07:41:36 pm »

I never got very far In ADOM, to be honest. Most deaths were from ants in the first cave. Furthest I ever got was a high level Dark Elf Ranger (insert shame here) that was heavily save-scummed and had really crappy equipment. He died when I unknowingly got the constantly replicating item. That was fun.

I don't think there is one perfect Roguelike yet. DF adventure mode may eventually come close. Incursion too, maybe. Can't wait for updates to both of these!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:33:27 pm »

Ah yes, ADOM. I once got all the way to the dude that imediately dies after giving you stuff.

It takes a bit to get used to this game, but orcs can be cool. They level up faster than trolls, so that is a plus. Also, Barbarian is the perfect class so long as you get to the point where you could read.