Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Rivers and ponds

(1/2) > >>

Grek:
Ponds and lakes should have ramps instead of walls for sides. This would remove 99% of carp related fatalities. Carp are not dangerous. Carp dragging people into water that they are unable swim out of, is. It would also make crossing rivers more realistic. You do not drown because you are not able to get out due to a 6 foot distance between the water and the ground; you drown because can can't swim to shore fast enough.

Crafty Barnardo:
I like this idea, but I don't think it should be an all or none situation.  In real life, some lakes and rivers have sheer, cliff-like banks, and others have gentle, sloping banks.

Draco18s:
quote:Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>I like this idea, but I don't think it should be an all or none situation.  In real life, some lakes and rivers have sheer, cliff-like banks, and others have gentle, sloping banks.</STRONG>Depends on the material they're carving through and how long they've been doing it.  Sand/clay/silt/loam, the sides are going to be sloped.  Granite?  Steep.Though we could look at the Grand Canyon.  Did you know you can walk all the way from one side to the other?  Bit of a hike, but no 6 foot drops.  Sure, there are places where they occure, but in general the canyon is a perfect match to DF's slopes (45 degrees or so).  It's just really deep.

Drunken:
I have had a lot of hunters die from simply slipping and dalling into a pond. This is very annoying.

mickel:
I hadn't really thought about this but yes, it makes sense.Speaking of people falling in ponds and lakes, we have a lot of cases of hunters, foragers, and tourists fall in lakes and drown because they didn't realize they were on a lake to begin with here.In forests, it's not uncommon for lakes to eat themselves in under the forest floor, or the forest floor extending out over the lake... I forget which way around. The end result is, however, that you get a lake that looks much smaller than it is, and when you step too near to the edge, you fall through the thin crust of ground, get tangled in submerged roots, and drown.A horrible way to die, and they never find you afterwards.  :(
In other words, something for Dwarf Fortress, perhaps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version