Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Redundantfort: A Succession Fortress  (Read 13607 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Redundantfort: A Succession Fortress
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2010, 03:49:51 am »

OH GOD WHY IS THE WORLD BURNING
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2010, 10:51:59 am »

OH GOD WHY IS THE WORLD BURNING
Oh no, what did you do?  ::)

Remember, cats multiply like crazy and cat leather burns in air like lignite bins; unstoppably.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2010, 11:01:03 am »

well, let's see...

I loaded the game and several areas burst into flame.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2010, 05:01:27 am »

well, let's see...

I loaded the game and several areas burst into flame.
Cat leather. Dispose of them. For some reason, it's not harmful to dwarves, and one dorf ran around with a flaming cap for quite a while.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2010, 04:19:10 pm »

sorry I've been a bit late with the updates, it's been on my list of things to do and I have been a bit daunted by this crazy fort.

one last question before I begin.  what the hell Z level am I working on? it seems that the floor above ground is barely constructed, same with the ground floor.  Where should I pick up from?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2010, 04:25:06 pm »

Z-level 4 from ground. The ground counts as one, meaning:

4 (your level)
1 (First level, where the trees and grass are)
--------------------------
0 (first underground level)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »

even though that levels 1 and two are barely constructed, and level three is solid soil?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2010, 09:41:13 pm »

Journal of Oddix the Doubtful - First Granite

After an all too long travel from my home Rakustinod (Tombgate, in the traditional tongue) I've arrived... but the longer I survey this place, the more I wish to leave.  Like grasping claws, two mountain peaks jut from the plains like some form of abomination grasping for unnatural life just beoyond its reach.  The pair of protrusions are easily seen as far as three days travel from Shadmalgeshud Bunsothurdimgeshud Råsh.  The translated name escapes me at the moment, but it brings to mind towers of unreasonable height and a deep-seated madness barely contained by rational thinking.  Perhaps it is the bottomless pit directly next to the mountains that brings such dark thoughts to mind.

A curse upon the king for sending me here, I would stay in the sun-soaked statue garden of my home, but for his command for me to settle this hellhole.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2010, 06:11:16 am »

even though that levels 1 and two are barely constructed, and level three is solid soil?
Yes. that'll be person #106's job.

Also, good start.  :)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 12:33:59 pm »

3rd Granite

Once I had settled in and unpacked my things, I found that my work was quite cut out for me.  Here is a quick sketch of what the outpost looked like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were two unidentified smoking piles of debris, which I could not immediately identify.  When I queried why they were not doused, dumped into a lake, or otherwise dealt with, I was met with nervous looks and horror stories about dwarves that would burst into flames and remain unextinguished for months on end.  How anyone could survive such incendiary punishment for any length of time was completely beyond me, and I did not believe it until I met the jeweler, who was indeed on fire and would not be put out.  I am certain a dark wizard is behind this, or equally far-fetched supernatural being devoid of sanity
     At any rate, it seems that the culprit behind this unusual un-consuming flame is cat leather exposed to fresh air.  I do not understand why, and I do not have the time to question it as of now.  This is simply a fact of life (unusually confined to this region.)  I ordered any and all forms of said tanned hide to be dumped into the lake.  I was promptly ignored, though I hardly blame them.  We have no means of handling volatile materials such as this.

I needed a drink after hearing this nonsense.  I was directed to the lake.  As any reasonable dwarf would understand, I was more than displeased.  I immediately ordered spirits, wines, ales, beers, and the like to be immediately concocted from whatever stocks we had.
    Which brings me to the next unpleasant facet of this god-forsaken outpost.  There had been NO documentation of stocks whatsoever.  I took it upon myself to remedy this immediately, and seized a chair in the dining room and set to work documenting everything, from barrels to mushrooms to logs.
    It seems that there were plenty of plump helmets to eat, and not much else, though I didn't need to do any bookkeeping to find that out.  My fellows all complained of lack of food and loathing of the purple mushroom.  I ordered a portion of them to be cooked, along with their spores to get as much variety in our collective diet as I could, and also requested that the peasants forage for local flora and see what would turn up.  I have no doubts that anyone would turn their nose up at a muck root at this point, should that be the extent of what they find.

The food stockpile is sitting outside, in the rain by the way.  The miners are confined to beds as a result of previous injury I've yet to be informed of.  I ordered that the jewelers find a pair of pickaxes and excavate an area underground so that we might have storage for food and other things that should not get wet, and so that they might familiarize themselves with the nuances of mining.  I do not know how long the previous miners will be out of commission.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you may notice in my sketch there is a billowing cloud of smoke.  That is one of the jewelers, who refuses to remove his cat leather cap for reasons beyond me.

My work is cut out for me, and I need another drink.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 01:31:56 pm »

Any updates? ;D

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2010, 04:21:22 pm »

working on it.  aware of the time crunch.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2010, 02:05:10 pm »

I'm not sure what you did to make the cat leather burst into flame, but this wave of migrants has made it impossible to play with any expediency, as they came donned head to foot in cat leather.  the fort now blackens the sky with soot from the unnatural and undying flames of the smoking dwarves.  Where did you modify the leather, and can I just switch it to non-flaming material long enough to chuck it in a lake?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 03:01:35 pm »

Just change the LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT to some number above 10000. Keep it that way if you feel it is too hard. :)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2010, 10:01:51 pm »

thanks m8.  For those who care to stop the flaming hats, the LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT is in the Creatures_domesticated file under cats (which apparently don't need to breathe, and can be cooked live)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7