Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coin removal?  (Read 1464 times)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coin removal?
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

Does anyone feel that an economy run by coins is a waste of time and ore? It's just so much simpler to have an economy run by imaginary money. Then the dwarves don't waste time gathering coins and you don't have to make them.

Personally I suggest the removal of coins altogether, considering the alternative is so much more effecient. Does anyone agree with me?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Coin removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

Removing of coins due to a placeholder economic system?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

Why not? Coins are fiddly little things, and there's really no point in having them.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

I think we should get rid of the invisible currecy and require the use of coins. Of course, Toady would have to make coins restack somehow.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

I've found giiving your dwarves chests and coffers gives them somewhere to put all their coins.  Doesn't guarantee they'll use them but helps tidy up a little bit.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Patarak:
<STRONG>Why not? Coins are fiddly little things, and there's really no point in having them.</STRONG>

Do you realize that you're getting rid of something for the sake of convenience, even though this certain thing will be required later?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Yes, this game is in Alpha and we should remove all aspects of it that don't work 100% smoothly.   It's not like they'll be improved upon in time.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

Why not just give them ATMs?  That'll solve the problem.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

Until a dwarf smashes it in rage and spews coins all over.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

Clearly dwarven ATMs need to menace with spikes of something extremely durable.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

quote:
Thikud Kogabanath, Tax Collector has completed Alilvumom, Gleesavants, an economic recession.

This is a recession. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with debt, decorated with inflation and encircled with mortgage crisis. It is made from reliance on credit.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and a dwarf in debt. The dwarf is overconfident. The dwarf is crying.

Manicmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

I say load them into catapults as shrapnel. Along with the nobles.
JESUS CHRIST ITS A SKELK!!! GET IN THE WAGON!!!<BR>Originally posted by penguinofhonor:<P>It''s true what someone once said, "The only things more insane than the dwarves are the players."
Anticheese: The undead don't kill. They recruit
Momaw: Ennui is a pointless word.  By the time you're feeling it, you don't care what it's called

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

I think what is being suggested here is abstracting actual coins out from the game; this does have its' merits, but it's just not the same to find a -ATM card- as opposed to a hold filled with gold, silver, and platinum coins. I am respectfully opposed to this idea.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

i'm rusty on my folklore.  don't dwarves have hordes that they amass wealth in?  what we need is a horde stockpile that accepts coins, gems, artifacts, masterpieces etc. only nobles, bookkeepers and the like are allowed to transport items meant for the horde and if a common dwarf is caught picking up a horde item from ANYWHERE in the fortress the poor fool is beaten to within an inch of his or her worthless life.  carrying items to the horde would be a high-priority task for the nobles and the fortress soldiers would hang around the horde stockpile unless stationed elsewhere.  kobolds and other raiders would make for the horde first if one exists and if the fortress is attacked all non-military dwarves would run to protect the horde before defending the booze or the front door.

or maybe there could be an option in the game init that turns off scattering coins without turning off the economy or something.

cause of unexplainable mischief

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

i would rather have coins than an abstracted economy. hoarding treasures and specially coins is very dwarfy, as it have been said. but restacking would be pretty high on my preiority list, that's for sure; it would be true for coins, but also seeds, bolts, etc...

Athmos

Pages: [1] 2