Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d13] Repeatable crash on embark and site finder search [partial workaround]  (Read 1516 times)

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset

Installed mods are a slightly self-modified CivForge and Molten Rocks (I turned some animals into exotic pets, made dragons able to get kids for extra Fun, that kinda thing. This issue did, however, also crop up before I started messing with things).

After generating and playing a few worlds, I end up generating a world that crashes DF when i hit 'search' in the site finder and when hitting 'embark'.  Once I hit such a world, any worlds I generate afterwards has the same issue.  This is solved by a clean reinstall, generally, but after a few worlds I once again hit the same issue (I'm currently up to my 5th DF folder).  Trying to play on worlds previously generated works fine, however.  Importing the data/objects files and world save to a clear install will make a new install start crashing too, and with it any subsequent worlds generated.  Removing the imported world and data/objects again, I'm again able to embark on new worlds.

I'm currently running WinXP (32bit) SP3.  Upon crashing, windows throws an error message about needing to close, and provides a lengthy report with stack information, details on the loaded modules (dwarf fortress.exe, an .ime and 42 .dlls) and exception information, as well as saving an accompanying error file for if i want to send it to MS.  If any information in this setup would be useful to figure out the error, I can easily reproduce the issue and get this info.
Any thoughts on causes and solutions would be appreciated.

All hail Toady.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:58:48 am by Ankheg »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d13] Repeatable crash on embark and site finder search, modded
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:37:21 pm »

Hmm.  The best thing might be to upload a zip of your entire DF folder, with a ready-to-crash world in the save folder (preferably pocket sized).  You can upload the file to the DFFD.  If you do, I'll give it a spin to see if I can reproduce the crash.

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:14:01 am »

Here you go: [urlhttp://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1706]DFFD post[/url]
Thank you, please do let me know if you can make sense of it!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 04:16:23 am »

Mmkay, downloading it now.  I might not get a chance to load it up for a day or two.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 05:32:58 pm »

Found this in your error log:

Duplicate Object: matgloss_stone MARBLE_GREEN
Duplicate Object: matgloss_stone MARBLE_BLACK
Duplicate Object: matgloss_metal MITHRIL
Duplicate Object: matgloss_plant CINNAMON
Duplicate Object: matgloss_plant COTTON
Duplicate Object: creaturebody CAT_MOUTH
Duplicate Object: creature BIRD_PHOENIX
Duplicate Object: creature ANT_GIANT
Duplicate Object: creature CHICKEN
Duplicate Object: creature PIG

Those are non-fatal errors that show up during "Importing world."  They're probably related to the crash.  Try removing the duplicate entries and then generating new worlds.

edit: okay, ignore the above.  I tried deleting your /data/objects to force DF to recreate the objects from the raws.  This is a standard part of mod debugging and won't cause any problems on a non-messed-up install.  When I tried to load your save, I got "Missing Wood Gloss: CACTUS".  I believe what this boils down to is that your /data/objects folder was out of sync with your raws, and that worlds generated with those objects had references to nonexistent raw entries.  My guess is that if you delete /data/objects and then generate some new worlds, everything will be okay.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:39:38 pm by Footkerchief »

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:58:03 am »

That does indeed seem to work, though it breaks all previous worlds, as you mentioned, with the lack of cactus gloss and such.  The objects dir goes from 109 to 77 objects, cutting all the files with _extended, and some others.  Would this be what's created if a file overflows its size boundaries or the like, storing objects from all the different worlds?  Perhaps a workaround would be to keep deleting old worlds and all objects before creating any new ones.
Thanks a lot, dude.  Back to one game dir, woo ;)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think it has to do with overflows.  I think it just doesn't notice if you delete a file from the raws, so the corresponding objects stay in /data/objects forever (unless you clear them out).  Generally, you should be able to avoid these problems by following these guidelines for modding and world generation.

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset

I'm not sure that could have anything to do with it.  After the first couple installs of mods and tweaks, I've left things pretty much alone, copying over the raws to the new DF folders and letting them be after first world creation - then still running into the crash after a while.  At least I think so... I suppose I could do another clear install, make entirely sure I don't touch anything and gen a heap of worlds just to see if it still happens.