Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 109236 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - RT Roguelike in Development
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 12:09:22 am »

In other words only in the vaguest and most tangential way related to Black and White.

Still looks awesome, and you're really moving too.
Shoes...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 12:12:57 am »

damn, it looks pretty interesting so far. Much more of this and I will have to find the time to finish what I am working on and make time to start my own game.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 03:26:39 am »

Seriously. I restate my earlier comment: This looks fucking awesome. Just as a world generator alone it would be awesome. My hat goes off to you, sir. Or at least it would if I had a hat. Nonetheless, great job!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 12:38:12 pm »

Why. Can't. I. DELETE IT?!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »

I'm not sure as to whether that's a serious technical question or not. If it is, it's unlikely that I can help you unless you give me more information about the nature of the problem (i.e. what type of message you're getting when you try to delete it, what OS you're on, et cetera). If you're on Vista it's likely a permissions problem (which is endemic to the OS, not the program).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:03:07 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 02:17:31 pm »

A quick afternoon update - so, I know I said terrain generation was done. I lied. I spent a few hours this morning tinkering around with learning how to edit anti-aliased truecolor fonts, and the result was naturally that I decided to add several different new font characters for forests and shrubs. D'oh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, the game will now generate the following forest types: evergreen, coniferous, deciduous, broadleaf, mixed...
And the following shrub types: heathland, scrubland, marshland, cacti (desert only).

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 02:45:38 pm »

Windows XP.
Says that it might be written to the disk or currently in use.
I know it is neither.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 02:47:51 pm »

Restart your computer and try again. What I think happened was a process related to the program is still running.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 02:54:38 pm »

Or try this: http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

The problem you're having is specific to NTFS file systems (yay Microsoft). As far as I can tell, it doesn't have anything to do with the .exe; when I switch over to my XP partition and run it I'm able to delete it afterwords.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 02:59:25 pm »

ok ill restart and try it first.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 03:12:40 pm »

I'm not sure as to whether that's a serious technical question or not. If it is, it's unlikely that I can help you unless you give me more information about the nature of the problem (i.e. what type of message you're getting when you try to delete it, what OS you're on, et cetera). If you're on Vista it's likely a permissions problem (which is endemic to the OS, not the program).

Hmmm... a bit difficult to formulate my question... does the world map actually have 'substance' or is it just a more or less randomly generated picture?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »

The question I want to ask is this: Is the world map stored or procedurally regenerated as needed. For instance, can you (or will be able to when you get to that point) dynamically generate local terrain as you move across the map? I ask because the project I am planning is definitely going to require being able to generate maps both top down and bottom up.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 03:17:50 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'll interpret that as 'does the world map actually represent a table of values that will make a difference to exploration of the game?'

The answer is 'yes'.

However, in order to keep less processor-heavy computers from killing themselves by generating a new copy of the world (visually) in every single frame of processing, the code automatically saves the final visual state of the world to a PNG picture and uses that as its frame of reference. This means all it has to do is blit a single image on to your screen, not process through several giant Python dictionaries of information about terrain height, vegetation, et cetera. If the game then needs information about a specific (x,y) location on the map, it simply searches the dictionaries for that bit of information.

If you wanted to change a segment of the world, you'd have to modify the dictionaries, regenerate the image, and then just go on from there.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:21:04 pm by Lord Dullard »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'll interpret that as 'does the world map actually represent a table of values that will make a difference to exploration of the game?'

The answer is 'yes'.

However, in order to keep less processor-heavy computers from killing themselves by generating a new copy of the world (visually) in every single frame of processing, the code automatically saves the final visual state of the world to a PNG picture and uses that as its frame of reference. This means all it has to do is blit a single image on to your screen, not process through several giant Python dictionaries of information about terrain height, vegetation, et cetera. If the game then needs information about a specific (x,y) location on the map, it simply searches the dictionaries for that bit of information.

Ah, exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2010, 05:09:37 pm »

Thanks, Deleted it.
Now I can ge tnew versions!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68