Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 109442 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - RT Roguelike in Development
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 03:28:47 pm »

Named forests: in!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The world will *try* to generate 40 named forests per world (with a minimum distance of 30 between each), but you are not guaranteed to get all 40 (in fact most maps won't). There's also a cutoff of forests being nameable at 50/96 forest tiles in a grid segment (each segment being twelve by eight).

The next thing I want to move on to is islands and water features (bays, oceans, lakes, etc). This will be slightly more challenging, but having named islands will be freaking cool.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:32:26 pm by Lord Dullard »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 03:54:27 pm »

Named forests: in!

The world will *try* to generate 40 named forests per world (with a minimum distance of 30 between each), but you are not guaranteed to get all 40 (in fact most maps won't). There's also a cutoff of forests being nameable at 50/96 forest tiles in a grid segment (each segment being twelve by eight).

The next thing I want to move on to is islands and water features (bays, oceans, lakes, etc). This will be slightly more challenging, but having named islands will be freaking cool.

I understand it's not top priority, but I think a higher resolution map or atleast anti-aliasing would be nice :)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 04:13:00 pm »

This is all text - thus the 'roguelike' title.

Higher 'resolution' could be achieved by using a smaller text size, but this would be at the expense of readability, thus defeating the purpose.

Considering the fact that this is an all-text game, I'm fairly happy with the visual appearance at this point; if I ever decide to undertake an actual graphics engine to go along with it, that will be a different story (but yes, it's a low priority).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:35:24 pm by Lord Dullard »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 04:26:58 pm »

It's pretty, and a really cool idea.
Very interesting project, I'll keep an eye on this.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 04:51:08 pm »

Desert names are in now, too - I nearly forgot to add them before moving on to islands/water.

Names are also displayed with a tinted background to help the player identify at-a-glance what type of feature the title belongs to.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »

This is all text - thus the 'roguelike' title.

Higher 'resolution' could be achieved by using a smaller text size, but this would be at the expense of readability, thus defeating the purpose.

Considering the fact that this is an all-text game, I'm fairly happy with the visual appearance at this point; if I ever decide to undertake an actual graphics engine to go along with it, that will be a different story (but yes, it's a low priority).

Sorry, not good in formulating today :/. I don't know if I asked the right thing:

Right now, it looks like a tile of beach is, well, huge, or that the symbols represent more single trees than maybe a hectare of forest.
Sorry if I annoy you ;)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2010, 05:15:21 pm »

This is a roguelike world map - a single tile probably does represent more trees than a hectare of forest.

When actually playing the game, obviously you'll be able to explore smaller areas of land.

Let me put it this way: how much area does a tile on the DF world map represent? The world map you're looking at means roughly the same thing.

And you don't annoy me.  :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:17:18 pm by Lord Dullard »

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2010, 09:39:49 pm »

A pocket world has 17 * 17 tiles, each of which has 16 * 16 smaller tiles, each of which has 48 * 48 tiles.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2010, 10:04:44 pm »

http://www.aleph-null.com/adom/drakmap.html

And there's the world map of ADOM, ostensibly one of the most popular roguelikes of all time, in all its miniature glory.

I have no particular plans of emulating DF to the tiniest detail, although certain parts of DF are an inspiration, yes. But the particular geographical scope of the game does not need to match DF's.

ETA:

To add to that, I am not necessarily opposed to the idea of expanding the game map up another 'level', but I can't think of any practical reason why I should. My plan has been to have the scope of the game take place on a continent/group of islands, and allow adventurers to leave their current land for another by traveling across the border if they so desire, but they would essentially be starting afresh in a new area (just with the same character).

In essence, I would rather have a game that works with a slightly smaller-than-worldwide scope very well than a game that works with a huge world not-very-well. If anyone can provide me with a compelling reason to think that a worldwide map is necessary, I may rethink things (then again, I may not - but it can't hurt).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:14:58 pm by Lord Dullard »

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:37 pm »

A single tile in DF is actually rather large, you might want to stick to something that can be displayed on a screen without scrolling.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »

I liked your old avatar :C
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2010, 11:34:58 pm »

A single tile in DF is actually rather large, you might want to stick to something that can be displayed on a screen without scrolling.

I'm sorry, but I'm not even sure I know what's being complained about at this point. Are people suggesting that the map be smaller? That it be larger? That it not scroll? I seem to be seeing all three.

I have a particular vision for this game, and while I appreciate suggestions, my own ideas are not likely to match up exactly with those of others. Furthermore, if this is being compared to Dwarf Fortress's worldgen - well, that's an honor, but I have completely different goals in mind than that game, so it's unfair to make the comparison.

Either that or I'm just not understanding what people are suggesting, in which case I'll have to ask someone spell it out more clearly.

I liked your old avatar :C

So did I, but I felt it was time for a change. ;)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2010, 11:36:39 pm »

You stole Gwen's avatar.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2010, 11:39:11 pm »

I found it on the internet, where most avatars tend to be found.

Who's Gwen?

ETA:

There, new avatar, since I apparently picked an already-used one.

(By the way, that's kind of a rude accusation to make, when it could have been an accident (it was).)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:43:52 pm by Lord Dullard »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2010, 11:44:54 pm »

Wow. I love how it looks! So smooth it looks semi-realistic. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68