Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 109463 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - NEW ALPHA TECH DEMO v0.2!
« Reply #585 on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:56 pm »

Looks great so far! A few CTD's, but I guess that's to be expected from quickly-before-work-compiled beta code. Most of the creatures had a very rectangular biome, I don't know if that's placeholder code or a supposed to be that way, but it strikes me as odd. And there should be a way for nations to expand over sea, at a higher 'cost' than over land, and of course without claiming the sea itself. I had a huge nation with an uninhabited island just a few blocks away.
But, again, it's great so far, keep up the good work!
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 02, 2011, 04:34:33 pm »

How do you export maps to a picture format, so that I can use this program as campaign inspiration?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 02, 2011, 04:44:12 pm »

Last map genned is automatically exported to /image/gfx

Just genned : Nylon Isles and Rohan civ (i have to check if they have horse-like creatures there :P)

One thing i noticed about name generator - islands that get connected with the mainland are still named as if they were detached.(it looks bit strange when that peninsula is nearly the size of the continent)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 02, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »

Well, regardless of the resolution issue, this is still a wicked cool demo. I gen'd a civ and love how it outlines little houses and stuff in the WIP civilization overview, and also love the creature combat stats.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 02, 2011, 07:35:39 pm »

Resolution is bigger than my monitor. Physically. I measured it with a ruler and everything.

Edit, worldgen is good, if generic with geography and territories
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:45:58 pm by Ninteen45 »
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 02, 2011, 08:27:32 pm »

This looks awesome! I can't wait to see more!

Is there a reason that the mountains are so dark?
IMO, It's kind of hard on the eyes and breaks up the landscape too much.
You might try a light grey or tannish brown for mountains. Just a suggestion.
(In general, if your oceans are dark you usually want your landmasses to be light, and vice versa.
That way it's immediately apparent from a distance which blots are land and which ones are water.)

That's just a minor nit-pick, though. Over all, it looks fabulous!

Keep up the good work!

Sentientdeth

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Soul Immortal
    • View Profile
    • Sentientdeth's Composition Blog
« Reply #591 on: October 03, 2011, 06:04:53 am »

Made some progress on the soundtrack; hopefully we can get the music files updated for you guys.
Dirgeplayer of the Twelve Bays
-The Bard's Guild-

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #592 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:16 am »

Whew - lots of replies to go through this morning!

I'm suffering from a nasty cold, and I really need coffee. Once I get my head on straight I'll try to answer any questions/concerns/etc.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 03, 2011, 07:30:10 am »

Okay...

1. As for layered creature images, with subcell rendering available, it now seems like a more obtainable goal. For now I'm not worried about working on it, but in the future...

2. Resolution - I'm going to work on tossing together a proper 'Game Settings' section for settings like these, along with various worldgen tweaks (water/land ratio, etc etc). Because of my work schedule and life in general I'm not going to project a definite time frame to have this done, but it shouldn't take *that* long.

3. Repetitive civ names - Civ/history generation is currently in its infancy. I had to put it on hold because I need to tie in a lot of information from as-of-yet-unfinished segments of worldgen (Creatures, Gods, etc) before being able to proceed - this is because civs will have their various symbols/icons, legends, histories, and whatnot all tied in with other worldgen elements. Some civs might be founded directly at the whim of the gods (either by raising a previously non-sentient race to sentience, or by providing some kind of technology a la Sid Meier's Civilization, or whatever). Civ-gen/history will also need Creatures and Spirits to be finished because they will all depend heavily on being able to tie elements from each in to their legends and culture for thematic purposes.

4. Yeah, civs should spread over water. I'll work on that. Shouldn't be too hard.

5. Peninsulas getting named like islands - this might be really hard to fix. It shouldn't have too much bearing on things in the long run, although I'll look into correcting it. But the island-finding/lake-finding algorithms work this way in order to avoid slowing even high-powered computers to a crawl - they basically work on a 'almost always correct... most of the time' logic. The result is an occasional oddity or misnamed feature.

6. Dark mountains - I could try tweaking these. I personally prefer the color the way it is, though. But now that I think of it, I might just have to allow users to tweak world color schemes to their own liking via the Game Settings tab. Anybody else think mountains should be lighter?

7. The finished worldgen soundtrack rocks. I'll include it in the next tech demo along with the other changes. Thanks, Sentientdeth!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58:41 am »

Still following Lord Dullard, I have to admit you REALLY havn't let your game fall into the "just ASCII it" trap a lot of other roguelikes have fallen into.

It actually looks beautiful and I don't have to use much imagination to understand what I am looking at. It is a lovely game so far.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:00:40 am by Neonivek »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 03, 2011, 08:59:48 am »

So, Lord Dullard, what are you working on now, exactly?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 03, 2011, 09:17:23 am »

Too many hours at my job and recovering from a cold. No, but seriously...

I haven't been able to devote a lot of time lately to the really meaty parts of the code due to time constraints, so most changes have been cosmetic or interface-oriented. I'm currently about halfway through creature spread code, which is where I plan on picking up again (hopefully this Thurs. And Fri., since I have two days off for once). Right now it's very rudimentary - thus the 'box-shaped' habitat ranges currently produced during the spread phase.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:29 am »

Still following Lord Dullard, I have to admit you REALLY havn't let your game fall into the "just ASCII it" trap a lot of other roguelikes have fallen into.

It actually looks beautiful and I don't have to use much imagination to understand what I am looking at. It is a lovely game so far.
yeah, there are many ways to approach ascii, and well done ascii can look as good as a pretty good tileset, and much better than the average tileset of most roguelikes. ascii shouldn't be treated as an easy cop out of doing graphics, but as a graphical choice in itself, and should be thought out with as much aesthetic concerns as a tileset.
i think dullard got it just right with the few bits he's shown us, but we're yet to see the proper game. i'm confident i'll be satisfied, though

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 03, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »

No worries LD. I'm starting down the path of coding too and I can appreciate there are times you simply don't have the mental reserves left to tackle the unknown parts of the program.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 04, 2011, 12:48:12 pm »

This is really cool, it'll be awesome in the future!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68