Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 109215 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)
« Reply #990 on: August 21, 2012, 12:00:45 pm »

Can you shed some light on how you generated the dunes?
Pretty please?

:)

I may eventually do a small libTCOD guide, since I won't be using it for that much longer, but it would be a really lengthy explanation - and if I'm going to write out that much detail, I figure I might as well aim it towards being a bit more broad in scope. So at some point in the future, maybe.

Have any of you just checked out creature strength? it is rather interesting to see how powerful even the smallest creatures are and how almost unbeatable the largest ones are.

Dullard why are the creature descriptions messed up? they are there, they just don't show properly for some reason.

I just love how there is no answer.

But fine I will answer it myself

The descriptions are working perfectly but the ability to look at them properly wasn't set up yet. Thus what we are seeing is a badly centered top paragraph that cuts out at several points.

First off, creatures are in the process of being rewritten entirely. The way their descriptions are generated is included.

Secondly, the engine itself is going to be completely rewritten, along with the GUI. That also makes it really silly to put a lot of work into the current GUI, since at this point it's going to be scuttled. I've been working on content, mainly setting up an entirely new scheme for how creatures are put together, which will make the process moddable by players down to a very basic level.

They don't show up properly in the Atlas because it was unfinished in the pre-alpha build that was released for the Kickstarter. They will probably remain that way because it would be largely pointless to spend time on a soon-to-be-defunct GUI.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:03:22 pm by Lord Dullard »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 21, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »

Thanks for answering Dullard

Rereading what I wrote... I am sorry if it seems a bit harsh. I actually wasn't sarcastic when I said "I just love how there is no answer" If I remember correctly I was actually laughing because I asked that a few times and you never answered. So I figured I was just fantastically unlucky and laughed for a good five minutes.

Yes I am very masocistic sometimes.

First off, creatures are in the process of being rewritten entirely. The way their descriptions are generated is included

Makes sense. While you definately have the catelog of creature features set up judging by your earlier posts, the actual stats and normality needs to be edited especially for features such as magic, intelligence, and stuff.

It especially makes sense because when I looked at the game's equivilant of a mouse and saw that some of them REALLY could take on the game's equivilant of a human (easily) then something was odd.

I am restraining myself from asking too many questions since I want to be surprised somewhat.

They don't show up properly in the Atlas because it was unfinished in the pre-alpha build that was released for the Kickstarter. They will probably remain that way because it would be largely pointless to spend time on a soon-to-be-defunct GUI.

I was actually wondering more about the mechanical reasons for it. I realise they are broken and you didn't want to fix it. But why exactly is it broken from a programming standpoint?

I was actually curious as to what the game was doing exactly to off center the text.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #992 on: August 22, 2012, 03:15:24 pm »

No trouble, I figured you were just having a bad day or something.  :P

Originally the creature descriptions were considerably shorter and complex string formatting wasn't really necessary. Since the Atlas was first cobbled together they've grown larger, and consequently don't display properly. I could fix them by simply adding a scrollbar, but again, I'd basically be fixing the air conditioning in a car I was about to take to the junkyard. We'll be switching to an entirely new renderer (which means libTCOD will no longer be used, though I may maintain a libTCOD version just for fun if I have the spare time, as I've been wanting to write some simple tutorials about it for a while now) and using a different GUI library; right now we're looking closely at libRocket, but in the end we'll settle on whatever provides the most functionality with the least hassle, so we'll see.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:22:32 pm by Lord Dullard »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 23, 2012, 03:24:20 am »

Can you shed some light on how you generated the dunes?
Pretty please?

:)

I may eventually do a small libTCOD guide, since I won't be using it for that much longer, but it would be a really lengthy explanation - and if I'm going to write out that much detail, I figure I might as well aim it towards being a bit more broad in scope. So at some point in the future, maybe.

I'd rather it be a non library-specific / non language-specific just general methodology type deal.
But ya, I understand you're a busy man, so just if you feel like it or something, idk,
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 24, 2012, 04:07:00 pm »

Wait a minute...are you scrapping the best roguelike desert I've ever seen? Awwwhhhh....

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 27, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »

Wait a minute...are you scrapping the best roguelike desert I've ever seen? Awwwhhhh....

I wouldn't honestly think so.

hmmm

Will spirits be tied to locations or are they omnipresent with possible spheres of influence?

Wow... dang that is unclear... I guess what I mean is

Will Spirits be like other beings except non-physical in that they need to move around... or will they be more like a force in that they are everywhere or at least everywhere within their domain? (Ignoring Avatars)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 08, 2012, 12:54:03 am »

So what ever happened to this project?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #997 on: November 08, 2012, 01:00:30 am »

Dev makes unexpected amount of money on Kickstarter... Dev disappears... = ?

Seriously, I'm pretty sure he's just busy working on the game after biting off more than he can chew, but letting the weeks pass, and then the actual promised delivery month pass, without so much as a single public statement or update is really, really bad form.

Disappointed... Turning into one of the lessons that will one day lead people to lose faith in Kickstarter indie projects.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 08, 2012, 01:04:48 am »

I hope that isn't the case...  :(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 08, 2012, 01:07:37 am »

Actually he didn't abandon the project. He is just very busy (apperantly... apperantly there are people who still talk to him... but he doesn't even respond on the official forums anymore)

though yes I have absolutely nothing to defend him on the grounds that he doesn't update when he has nothing to show. It is as I said it would have been nice to have some sort of update even if he wasn't going to say anything.

then the actual promised delivery month pass

It was very clear he pulled that date out of his butt anyhow and that in order to reach it he was originally going to release a very chopped up version.

The fact that he doesn't have anything when "October" came about isn't something that surprises me.

---

What does worry about the "Trust us he is still working on it" I am getting from the people who quote unquote "talk to him" is that... it actually makes things seem even worse somehow. >_>
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:10:40 am by Neonivek »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1000 on: November 08, 2012, 01:13:33 am »

The fact that he doesn't have anything when "October" came about isn't something that surprises me.
Yeah, it's certainly even forgivable, but you've got to at least talk to people.

Even if there's nothing worth showing off, he needs to at least keep everyone in the loop. Maybe he'll figure this out before the current silence does even more damage to his credibility...
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 08, 2012, 01:15:34 am »

Well he said he had worked on the project for two years before he started a kick starter... You don't just drop a two year labor of love because you made some money from it.

Although if Minecraft has taught us anything, it is that as soon as you take peoples money, they feel entitled to know what is going on... Sometimes a little too much.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 08, 2012, 01:25:33 am »

Well he said he had worked on the project for two years before he started a kick starter... You don't just drop a two year labor of love because you made some money from it.

Although if Minecraft has taught us anything, it is that as soon as you take peoples money, they feel entitled to know what is going on... Sometimes a little too much.

Someone actually made the "Stop being Entitled" speach on the Cult Forums...

Which immediately got shot down when someone chimed in and said "We arn't customers we are backers". (Mind you it was an overreaction since people were rather civil and just going "Hey LD what is going on?". Where here that speach may actually be a bit more justified.)

This is kinda EXACTLY the situation where... well... we are (well not me as I am not a backer) entitled to some information. As well the amount of information asked and how often is by far sensible.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:30:05 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 08, 2012, 01:35:06 am »

Well I do agree that you don't take peoples money then go under a rock to work... Eh, maybe I will catch up on everything I missed while I was away. It is still news to me at least!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 08, 2012, 03:22:57 am »

Well I do agree that you don't take peoples money then go under a rock to work... Eh, maybe I will catch up on everything I missed while I was away. It is still news to me at least!

There really isn't much to say. LD is working hard and hasn't been visiting the forums or giving any news for I think what amounts to a month.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68