Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 110142 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - Updated First Post (02/05/11)
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:49 pm »

Sorry, havent read the thread much, so if it's been suggested, stupid me, but heres an idea:
Maybe worship could create the god, not the other way around, like, a species could worship a symbol, and a god grows from that. (Yes I have been reading terry prattchet lately).

I think it was going to be like...  Gods exist.  Many many Gods.  So much so that if you worship anything, you're likely worshiping a God.  They require worship to manifest any powers on the planet though.  So as more people worship a God, he/she/it grows more power and becomes able to interfere directly with the world or somesuch.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #391 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »

Great to see all of this discussion going on! I really like the idea of creature names sometimes being associated with the sounds they make (although this would be rather difficult to implement with  multiple languages, TBH). Then again, the language code needs a complete overhaul at some point in the future anyway.

I've got a pretty nasty cold right now, so I haven't had a lot of time to get things done. I'd like to try to get more of the morphology stuff done today, though, since getting any further in creature gen depends pretty much exclusively on finishing it up.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »

Is there some place to test out what you've been doing? If you have precompiled versions, or anything. I couldn't find anything on you're blog or here (especially with the newer updates such as the resolution change) but I'm still following this and the dev blog regularly.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 23, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »

I haven't made a precompiled release in quite some time. I can make one once I'm finished with creature gen, although I'd prefer not to do it before then, just because I want to be finished with this segment of generation and get it into the World Atlas so people can have access to the next major part of code. Also, I'm going to want direct feedback on the sorts of creatures that people end up with and what will need changing or expanding upon.

User-specified settings like the resolution and such will also require me to throw together an init.txt file, although this should be pretty quick and painless. At the moment they're completely configurable but I've just been 'hard setting' them via the code itself for testing purposes.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:43:32 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 23, 2011, 10:09:22 pm »

Well, moving along... still have a lot to go.

Done:

Legs
Arms
Digits
Tentacles
Fins
Hooves
Paws
Hands
Wings
Tails
Shells
Jaws
Teeth/Fangs

Still to go:

Eyes
Ears
Noses
Fur/Hair/Scales/Feathers
Skin/Exoskeleton (or in some cases mucous membranes)
Nails/Claws
Pincers (of both the end-of-extremity and mouth varieties)
Tongues
Torsos
Hips
Segmented Bodies
Stings
Horns
Antennae
Exotic Appendages - Anglerfish-style luminescent lures, spinnerets, Etc.
Probably more that I can't think of at the moment

So, almost halfway there. I'm going to do a bit more tonight while I'm waiting for laundry to finish.

Oh, and here are the hellish things in the flesh:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still adding new morphological traits to many of the body parts based on what I think of while I'm working on others, so each of the dictionaries will probably be somewhat larger by the time I'm done.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:11:11 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:28 pm »

Still to go:
========
Scales/Feathers
Skin/Exoskeleton (or in some cases mucous membranes)
Nails/Claws
Pincers (of both the end-of-extremity and mouth varieties)
Tongues
Torsos
Hips
Segmented Bodies
Stings
Horns
Antennae
Exotic Appendages

Getting much closer. I got a fair bit done today. Feeling better now that my fever has pretty much dissipated.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2011, 07:38:15 pm »

I'm looking forward to trying the new build.  Thanks for the update.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 01, 2011, 01:20:06 am »

How are spirits even going to function?

(Also are you adding in the kinds of tongues? ohh my evil mind of HUGE expansive cateloging)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:47:23 am by Neonivek »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:59 am »

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

Spirits aren't creatures. They needn't function in the same manner that creatures do and have more license to be fantastical and magically-empowered.

As for tongues, look at my list.  :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:02:05 am by Lord Dullard »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

I know they arn't creatures.

I am just wondering what exactly spirits are in your game and their purpose.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 01, 2011, 01:20:09 pm »

IIRC, sprites and graphics in general are still in the ? column for this project.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2011, 04:13:23 pm »

I know they arn't creatures.

I am just wondering what exactly spirits are in your game and their purpose.

Spirits, as far as I'm going to be defining them, are 'less than gods but more than mundane creatures'. Not that a creature is prohibited from being magical in some ways, but I think the difference is in that a creature would be considered 'more physical than magical' while a spirit would be the opposite.

Spirits will be comparable to things like nyads/dryads, ghosts, phantoms, will-o-the-wisps, etc. They will not necessarily be good or evil and may be associated with persons, places, things, religions, or none.

Monsters, generated separately from spirits and creatures, will be genuinely nasty entities in the likeness of vampires, ghouls, zombies, and what have you. They won't necessarily be 'evil', but they'll definitely be hostile to the player in almost every situation, unless the player happens to side with forces that lend him power over such entities (or if the player happens to BECOME one through gameplay, naturally).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2011, 05:11:03 pm »

I need to read more carefully.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »

So is this game going to be like Dwarf Fortress? It sounds similar which is good  :P
Bookmarked and gonna follow this. Sounds awesome!
Also the ability to found civilizations and religions? Time to create my very own cult.
Also will there be different game modes?  Or will it be sim creation like current Dwarf Fortress?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:51:52 pm by GrayFoxUA »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

So is this game going to be like Dwarf Fortress? It sounds almost identical which is good  :P

Well, I doubt it. The primary similarities Cult will share with DF are that its world will be very large and procedurally generated and that it features a (mostly) text-based look and feel. Cult will be mostly in first-person, will not prioritize fortress/city-building over other gameplay elements, and will (hopefully) be experienced as something like a mix between King's Quest and Dragon Age (with elements from any number of other genres thrown in) on massive amounts of steroids. I think a love of reading about things will probably be a common trait of future Cult players.

Bookmarked and gonna follow this. Sounds awesome!
Also the ability to found civilizations and religions? Time to create my very own cult.
Also will there be different game modes?  Or will it be sim creation like current Dwarf Fortress?

No, no different game modes, aside from a World Atlas that will let players browse information about the worlds they've created. Thanks for your comments. :)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 68