Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 108520 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - Updated First Post (02/05/11)
« Reply #570 on: October 02, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »

Considering it's just a world-gen demo, I wouldn't worry about it. I think a release .exe would have to be figured out at some point though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #571 on: October 02, 2011, 01:50:11 pm »

I fixed it.  :) I have work at 5 PM today, but I think I can manage to throw up a new tech demo with a list of features before then.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 02, 2011, 03:04:14 pm »

Yay!

5 PM in what time zone?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 02, 2011, 03:08:26 pm »

EST. I'm uploading the .RAR right now.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 02, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »

Okay --- here it is! This is the v0.2 alpha tech demo of Cult.  :D

There are quite a lot of new things to play around with, most of them contained in the world generation process. I've made a list below:

New features:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The worldgen process is relatively quick for me, but I'm on a quad-core computer with a gig of dedicated graphics running at ~4ghz/core. It's probably going to take quite a lot longer on older computers. My laptop, which has a 9800GT and two cores running at something like 2.2ghz/core, doesn't take a horrendous amount of time, so it shouldn't be *too* bad if your rig isn't ancient.

To access creature entries and nation information about worlds you generate, you have to go to the World Atlas.

That about does it. Enjoy!

(Oh, and I highly encourage people to post pictures of amusing/freakish creatures or names generated by the program just for fun, if anybody is so inclined.)

Credits:
The excellent music is by Sentientdeth here on the B12 forums.

A NOTE: After history generation finishes, there will be a noticeable pause while the program saves the generated world to a file. Clicking around and spazzing out is not advised here, as it'll probably make the game crash. Wait until it finishes saving and a message will be displayed indicating that you can proceed to the main menu.

LINKY, LINKY: http://www.mediafire.com/?h6cgh261tbumao6

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Cult - NEW ALPHA TECH DEMO v0.2!
« Reply #575 on: October 02, 2011, 03:13:45 pm »

NICE! NICE NICE NICE!!!.
if i ever make a d&d campaign using your generator tool to create interesting political or similar situations...i'll ask first. >.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 02, 2011, 03:18:31 pm »

Is there any way to lower the resolution? I may have asked before but I forget the answer. I'm running 1333x768 and that's STILL too small. Anyway, thanks for the tech demo!

E: To clarify, Game Settings might have the answer but it's giving me a black screen.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:20:16 pm by freeformschooler »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 02, 2011, 03:20:47 pm »

Unfortunately for the moment, not really. Lowering it would break all kinds of stuff. I'll make sure I include an init file that allows more compatibility with different resolutions once I start making real releases.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 02, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »

Hmm... rats. So what kind of resolution would I have to be running to see this thing?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:31 pm »

It currently runs at 1200x800. I could pretty easily adjust this if need be. At the moment I don't have the time, because I need to get ready for work immediately, but I'll see what I can do for you as soon as I get out tonight. Sorry for the trouble!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #580 on: October 02, 2011, 03:26:30 pm »

It currently runs at 1200x800. I could pretty easily adjust this if need be. At the moment I don't have the time, because I need to get ready for work immediately, but I'll see what I can do for you as soon as I get out tonight. Sorry for the trouble!

nice, genned the first world.
after that, what is "the next step" ? (or how to read the history generated? )

edit: nevermind, found.
also: bugtracker note: if you press enter in the atlas menu, it goes back to number one, instead of foregoing forward in submenus. intended? (running windows 7 64 bits)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:29:46 pm by shadenight123 »
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 02, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

Nope, that's not intended behavior, thanks for reporting. I'll fix it when I get home tonight. There will likely be a variety of other bugs to discover, since a lot of this is fairly new code and I've been the only one tinkering around with it.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #582 on: October 02, 2011, 03:39:34 pm »

Nope, that's not intended behavior, thanks for reporting. I'll fix it when I get home tonight. There will likely be a variety of other bugs to discover, since a lot of this is fairly new code and I've been the only one tinkering around with it.

if you ever need a bug tester, just count me in. i know nothing of coding, so i'm the perfect tester! XD.
that said, the only options one can do are, right now, "generate world" and world atlas, right?
then in world atlas one can: look at nations&relations of nations
and go into beastiary, and one at the time look at the beasts (sorting doesn't work, it hanged the game)

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 02, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »

Woah, awesome job! Most impressive world-gen i seen for a long time.

First bizarre creature:Colossal Centipedes ? Brr!
Other Notes:
- Does Holy <something> Empire civ name is very common or that's just my luck ?
- By region sorting seems to do nothing and not allows to go back.

EDIT: Also trying to show only aerial creatures results in :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nevermind just read the release notes
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:56:15 pm by Simple »

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 02, 2011, 03:44:59 pm »

How fast are creatures supposed to gen? Because world and names took literally moments.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 68