Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayday's apostrophe dots  (Read 900 times)

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayday's apostrophe dots
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:45:38 pm »

Is there anyway to solve the problem with Mayday's graphic mod which replaces all menu apostrophes, colons, and ellipses with a block of dots?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:51:29 pm by pluckcitizen »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday's apostrophe dots
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:52:13 pm »

Turn off varied ground tiles and edit the graphics file?

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:57:58 pm »

Turn off varied ground tiles and edit the graphics file?

Thanks I didn't know about the varied ground tiles setting.

Am I correct saying that the ground tiles will always correspond to the menu periods, assuming varied is off? And therefore I can either have dots for both or periods for both?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:22:27 pm »

Yeah.

Unfortunately, when you aren't working with creatures, 'Graphical' DF consists of doing weird stuff with the ASCII tiles. So the regular uses for the ASCII (ie text) gets caught up in any changes you make.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 12:42:33 am »

double yeah....

As a modder for other games (most famous in sc4 crowd), i long for the graphical overhaul. i myself will be content if things are simply reversed. As stated the graphics tiles at the moment replace the same ascii symbols used in text and those text ascii sometimes have multiple uses. So it's a fine balance when replacing or tweaking them since they represent multiple uses.
  It would be nice if every text and number had its own place holder along with every item. Thus it could easily be set up to replicate the present ascii system or each and every element could get it's own graphical image.

I made the mistake of trying to make a graphics mod before i understood how the game gui functioned. I was kind of surprised to learn (the hard way) that all graphical elements where so tightly tied to the ascii layout. I've still managed to tweak things more to my liking but it is somewhat limited to the extent you can go.

I'm sure this will be addressed in the graphics arc but only time and toady can tell. As it stands it is somewhat limited but still playable...atleast for some of us :P

Bud

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:43:30 am »

There are relatively few tiles that don't have multiple functions, between the GUI itself and the in-game world. Levers are rendered with accented letter o's; flows have the same icon as soil floors and farm plots; etc.

There are tilesets out there that try to interfere as little as possible with the UI, but it does come at the expense of main-window graphics options.

I think DFG comes with an alternate tileset, which looks decent at 16x16 but leaves the text and such alone; I can't remember the name of the tileset offhand, though.

I do indeed look forward to the time when everything, not just creatures, can have tokenized graphics. From the outside it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to do... but that's from the outside.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »

There ARE alternate graphical values for the Mayday graphics mod. You can change the values to [MIN] or [MEDIUM], if the graphics interfere with the ASCII too much. I cannot remember if those are the exact tags for the init, but you can find out in the readme for the Mayday graphics.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 02:34:45 pm »

And don't forget to remove accents if you haven't done so. Although I prefer Herrblog's, it's not that radical.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository