Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pikmin mod — Vermin or not?  (Read 2160 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pikmin mod — Vermin or not?
« on: December 28, 2009, 02:36:08 pm »

Say I want to mod in pikmin as a playable fortress creature. I want to retain the aspect of creating pikmin, but I'm not sure how exactly to do this as non-verminous creatures cannot be created. However, I'm not sure how playing as a vermin would work. Anyone know?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Pikmin mod — Vermin or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:19:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure vermin's aren't exactly playable. What with their lack of limbs, and any body part for that matter. The best you could really do is make each of the different Pikmin subrace a race of their own, and mess around with 'em.

Although I'm pretty sure white one's wouldn't work at the moment, since "eat-me-and-you're-DEAD" isn't in the game's effects until next version.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:45:28 pm »

You know, I've never actually tried to make a civ of vermin. I should try that.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:03 am »

If you do that (if it is even possible), you better be afraid of cats. Even more than now.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:49:53 pm »

You could make them one size above vermin and make everything else relatively bigger if vermin doesn't work.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »

To actually get the feel of creating pikmin, you will have to wait 'till the next release, when (as I understood it) you will be able to add serious phyiscal differences between castes (and thus, between adult/child). this could help with making the different "colours" of pikmin, as well.  have immobile, noneating/drinking children, and then have them grow legs!

as for currently? I know someone modded tiiiny gnomes into a playable race. FUN ensued.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:00:19 pm »

Vermin won't work though.  I've tried.  I originally tried to make minifigures in my LEGO mod into vermin, but the game changed them to size-2 creatures by itself (according to the errorlog)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:41:19 pm »

To actually get the feel of creating pikmin, you will have to wait 'till the next release, when (as I understood it) you will be able to add serious phyiscal differences between castes (and thus, between adult/child). this could help with making the different "colours" of pikmin, as well.  have immobile, noneating/drinking children, and then have them grow legs!

as for currently? I know someone modded tiiiny gnomes into a playable race. FUN ensued.
Better yet, the females all turn into immobile onions at adulthood, so that the males and children bring food to them and protect them.. Not like other Eusocial species, but it does.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »

I wonder, are there plans to be able to alter the male/female ratio in the creature entry?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:28 pm »

Yes. Caste ratios will be determined by the raws. You just have to make the genders different castes.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »

Can you alter gender ratios of the children? I don't want 50 onions in a fort of 100.
EDIT: Next version, I mean.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 05:22:43 pm »

Can you alter gender ratios of the children? I don't want 50 onions in a fort of 100.
EDIT: Next version, I mean.

just answered above:

I wonder, are there plans to be able to alter the male/female ratio in the creature entry?
Yes. Caste ratios will be determined by the raws. You just have to make the genders different castes.

that is next release, far as I've heard.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »

This is best in the next version, though Onions will have difficulties in how they are made. Onions from Onions could be a problem.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:40:54 pm »

Onions can fly.  They aren't completely immobile.
Just so I remember

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:16:18 am »

I know. Imagine watching an onion give birth to am onion.