Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Graphics idea

(1/1)

Lacota:
First off, I'm not demanding that everyone give up ASCII.What I'm proposing is fairly simple, and would only require a minor modification.Seperate the "font" (Basic ascii characters) into one BMP file.
everything else, tileset wise, should go into it's current format under raw.HOWEVER, it would need to be updated so additional wall/furniture/item graphic tiles could be added along with animal/dwarf/human/elf/monster/things-that-move  that are currently there.This would allow a much easier toggle between Graphics and ASCII. It would also allow, those who wish it, a full tileset, without effecting the readability of text. The current method shows problems once you begin changing items from ASCII characters into letters, you notice it the most in Dwarven text such as name of dwarves and places.

Sofaspud:
At first read, I thought you were asking for... what we've already got?  That couldn't be correct...I'm assuming you're asking for the game objects to be 'broken free' of the text.  Meaning, you've got a font for text (names, menu items, etc), and then a tileset for everything else (walls, floors, etc).If I'm correct, that's a good idea, but I *think* it's already on the bloat list.  I might be wrong there (it's been a while since I read the whole thing, heh).Anyway, if it's NOT on the bloat list: seconded!  I *like* the ASCII, really I do, but I don't like (for example) levers showing up in the middle of a dwarf's name.

Red Jackard:
quote:Originally posted by Sofaspud:
<STRONG>but I don't like (for example) levers showing up in the middle of a dwarf's name.</STRONG>Well my friend, you are in luck: here is a fix for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version