Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hallucinations in adventure mode.  (Read 1595 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
hallucinations in adventure mode.
« on: June 05, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »

How about hallucinations from lack of sleep?

You would see creatures randomly apearing and disapearing from view, Perhaps sight would be affected, tiles end up the wrong color.

You would also get announcment spam as well to simulate audio hallucinations.

Perhaps if you still dont get sleep your charactor would go completely bonkers, he would think he was seriously injured (fake wounds apear on health screen) or think hes bleeding out (blood trails, complete with BLEEDING! effect and looking faint and pale.)

insanity would have no cure (and yes I know you can get melencholy from no sleep, this is different.)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: hallucinations in adventure mode.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:00:30 am »

They could be caused by poisoning too, for however long that lasts. Having the trees turn purple and imaginary sharks attack you in a forest would certainly be... interesting.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:11:07 am »

They could be caused by poisoning too, for however long that lasts. Having the trees turn purple and imaginary sharks attack you in a forest would certainly be... interesting.

Good idea! perhaps eating special "Muchrooms" can do it or somthing. Or a venom attack.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:09:38 pm »

I know two games that made any mushroom you eat make random colored spots fly all around in your vision. Almost all...

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »

Interesting...why not add a special "poison/spell" effect as well that also leads to hallucinations making the affected confused, miss more often as well as attacking thin air, actually start hearing whispers from the pantheon gods, etc.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:04:37 am »

Hmm, you could also further develop the "insane trance/communicating with Gods" to take quests from your Deity, if you're in a big enough trance state.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:03:49 am »

That's a bit much. Dwarves becoming saints because they talked to a god? Sounds too much like premonitions. Think Leliana from Dragonage. Crazy.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:19:08 am »

That's a bit much. Dwarves becoming saints because they talked to a god? Sounds too much like premonitions. Think Leliana from Dragonage. Crazy.

I am tempted to say that is how real religion was made but that is just an A hole move

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:47:11 am »

Hm, using narcotics/starving yourself half to death to get in touch with the spirits/gods sounds awesome. Of course, who knows whether they're hallucinations or real..? If/when divine appearances are in, you should definitely have a bigger chance of having them appear if you're starving/drowsy/high.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:19:41 am »

Hm, using narcotics/starving yourself half to death to get in touch with the spirits/gods sounds awesome. Of course, who knows whether they're hallucinations or real..? If/when divine appearances are in, you should definitely have a bigger chance of having them appear if you're starving/drowsy/high.

High? I wasn't aware dorfs had drugs!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 01:23:44 pm »

What about mild brain injuries?

Currently any brain injury is DEATH. so how about a small injury also making you instantly insane or partily insane (hallucinations.)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:49:20 pm »

High? I wasn't aware dorfs had drugs!
They don't.
Yet.
But if you can't have semi-harmless mind-altering substances, you can't have ICBIN the oracle of Delphi. Or drug trade. And what self-respecting fantasy epic can do without either?

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 05:39:06 pm »

Fanciful creatures should also 'attack' the player, or just show up. Attack messages might be garbled...

The Toad strikes you in your left toe with his right upper body, bruising it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 04:28:28 am »

Hey this could put a whole new reason for coke in the game,Hey how about this if a dwarf gets addicted to a drug on df mode he gets a happy thought every time he takes it,but a negative thought if he has a bad trip [hallucination about being killed,being tortured etc]and in adventure mode if you hallucinate and get a phantom BLEEDING!status how about you thinking you have been struck down from it and thinking your in hell?

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:02:05 am »

coke? We've got that. It's used for smelting. Not horrific guilt trips.

I was thinking more bad shrooms. Like iffy plump helmets.